View Full Version : Succsess Stories Needed!!!

Dec. 20, 2009, 04:51 PM
The person I am riding for just approched me about possibly selling one of her horses to me. She is getting out of breeding and just wants one schoolmaster she can ride herself.

The horse in question is a coming 5 year old 16.1h hanoverian gelding. SUUUUPER fancy, with talent coming out of his ears. He was supposed to be going to stallion approvals but the owner gelded him because he was a butt as a stallion. But to make a very long story short, through bad training he has a rearing problem. I have been riding him and starting to get him through it (had to stop because the arena is flooded, grr). And the owner is going to try and work something out so I can buy him. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity if I can get him through his rearing.

SO anyone have any succsess stories with rearers?

Dec. 20, 2009, 05:37 PM
SO anyone have any succsess stories with rearers?

I had a youngster with the issue (TB). Bought him as a long yearling. His response to most things was to stand up. He would stand up while leading, out at play...all the time. He was also very studdish (cut when I bought him...but still very studdish). As a late 3 year old-early 4 year old, he reared a lot undersaddle. I just consistently corrected him (would turn him until he put his feet down, then sent him forward--on turns, no straight lines-- and made him work hard. Basically...made sure he understood that was the wrong response and would mean lots of work for him). I also made sure that *I* wasn't causing the rear by being in his face....but he was the type who while even walking on the buckle, could be startled and stand straight up.

By the time he was a late 4 year old....he rarely stood up. And after he was 5...never even threatened. For him, it was just learning that wasn't the correct response by having it consistently corrected...he was generally a pretty nice horse so I was pretty sure I could work through it.

Rearing is very tough...you really need to know what you are doing and can get really hurt. With my guy, I knew it was fixable because when you corrected him...he would respond quickly and go forward and not fight back with more rearing.

I've known others...three mares...where if you punished them or corrected them about the rearing...they would just go up higher. All three were still ridable and good horses...but that rear was/is always there.

So to me...whether it is fixable depends on the horse.

Dec. 20, 2009, 06:15 PM
Make sure a good equine dentist checks him out.

Dec. 20, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yes -- My Trakehner reared when I got him. NOw, he didn't go all the way up because he had a very strong self-preservation gene, but it was enough to scare me.

It is likely that my horse started to rear because he had been ridden in draw reins by his teenage owner and he felt trapped. The problem was compounded by the fact that she got off him when he reared so he quickly learned that it was an effective way to get out of work that made him uncomfortable.

It took me a long time to get rid of this habit. I had to learn how to work with him in ways that kept him from getting that "trapped" feeling and it involved finding a trainer who had a very quiet, relaxed way of working with him.

He always had difficulty with collected work and I wondered if this was part of the original problem.

However, he did stop rearing and became an outstanding hunt horse.

Whether the horse you are looking at will work through it depends on what's causing him to rear . . .

Has he been checked for pain/teeth?

Good luck. I've always been glad that I took the chance on Kroni. I had him for 12 years and he was an amazing partner.

Dec. 21, 2009, 08:12 PM
I am NOT the person to talk to (my story with a rearer was not a success story and I do not tolerate rearing at all anymore), however, the horse in question is still young so you may be able to educate him (like bfne's horse). If you can figure out WHY he stands up you'll be more likely to work with it more or work around it.

DO be VERY sure that you vet this horse THOROUGHLY before purchasing it. There are a variety of soundness issues that can cause horses to stand up in pain (that may not be at all evident with typical lameness). I would strongly caution you with this horse- horses that stand up can be taught to not do it, but once the behavior is there it is often just waiting in the wings to rear its ugly head (pun intended) at the worst possible moment. Again...I hate rearing so tend to be very biased, but just want you to not think it is something easily and readily fixed, because it isn't.

Dec. 21, 2009, 08:53 PM
I hate rearing so tend to be very biased, but just want you to not think it is something easily and readily fixed, because it isn't.
Rearing is just about the only training issue I refuse to have any part of--knowing multiple people who were crushed when a horse flipped over on them.

Dec. 21, 2009, 09:13 PM
My willingness to deal with a rearer depends on three things: (1) does it have a sense of self-preservation? (2) is it smart/athletic enough to not go over backwards by accident? and (3) is it careful with me/people in general?

My mare stands up occasionally, generally when she wants to go and is not allowed. She also started doing it after I got her back from a lease when a fence surprised her--while normally extremely honest, she developed a pain issue while on lease and I suspect worried that she would be punished for refusing.

She satisfies my criteria above, though, and so it doesn't really bother me. I'm not sure I would want to deal with a horse that goes up because it doesn't want to go forward, though.

Dec. 21, 2009, 10:36 PM
There was a time that the only horses I could afford were the ones that no one else wanted, and I took horses in for retraining that were difficult or dangerous.
My standard therapy for rearing was to lunge, not in a draw rein, but would run rope, nautical rope was my choice, from the girth between the front legs, through the bit like a draw rein, but tie over the top of the head between the ears. I'd start out with it just there, and there would be no pressure unless the horse raised it's head above it's normal carriage. As the work progressed, I would tie the ropes a bit tighter. If there was a problem with the horse turning in on the lunge, which they may do when they are trying to avoid work, I'd put a side rein on the outside, fairly loose, but there enough that they couldn't turn in. My theory for training involves the idea, that you make what you want easy to do, and avoidance or resistance difficult. When you lunge the horse this way the pressure on the corners of their mouth and the top of their head, is just enough to make carrying the head high more work than it's worth. They reward themselves instantly when they drop, and the rope allows a full stretch, it is never tight enough to pull their nose behind the vertical. Working thru transitions up an down, especially walk into trot, gives the horse a chance to use it's back to pick up trot instead of throwing the head up. Rearing is virually impossible with this rig, but be aware, that if you go too tight to quickly it can panic a horse, and it can throw itself over, making things much worse. When the horse is used to lunging with this on, I'll ride the horse in it.
Rearing usually is a protest against going forward, and ridden work involves teaching the horse respect for the aids to go forward. When a horse does get it's front end off the ground, an opening rein, plus stick is needed to get it moving into the bend, no straight lines in work other than what is needed to change rein, keep the horse moving off the inside rein into a connection on the outside, as a lot of rearers in my experience are avoiding contact on the outside rein. The other type of rearer is the one that goes up and launches in an attempt to get the reins away from the rider to bolt. Do not lean forward and drop contact when a horse rears, you just as good as told it, that that's the answer to getting you to soften the contact. Sit tight, make them bend to the side and go forward. Yell, growl, whatever to let them know that is not what you want. I find horses repond to a growl.

Dec. 22, 2009, 12:19 AM
I have two rears. Both rear for different reasons:
Cinniman has reared since she was a baby. I always thought it was because she was young and it was never big enough where I throught my life was threatened so i just pushed her on and she went on. Turns out she rears when she is confused. I tolerate her rears now as a 7yr old because I know she is just confused and they arent big at all! Just a hop now. Much smaller than when she was younger.

Sapphire on the other hand... She rears when she gets scared. Her response to anything jumping out at her (birds, deer, ect) is to rear, hop, and buck! We have gotten to where she will tense up before she does it and if I feel her, I can just take hold of the reins and she wont do it.

I cant help you on how to fix it, but I can tell you that it can be fixed, but I think that some horses will always have it in them (Like Cinniman).

Good luck!

Dec. 22, 2009, 02:36 AM
I have a rearer- she gets light in the front when she doesn't want to work- which, being a red-headed mare, is most of the time.

She has scary-reared multiple times and flipped on me once.

For her, it was simply a matter of making her go FORWARD at all costs- she will ONLY rear when she is behind my leg, and I wear spurs and carry a whip whenever I am sitting on her back. Period. Sucking back is completely unacceptable and strongly punished. If she is having a fit, she may express herself however she would like to as long as she is going forward.

We also ride her in a happy mouth mullen eggbutt and a plain noseband with very soft hands and she has not done much by way of rearing in months. Forward and non-trapping tack has really been the key for her.

Dec. 22, 2009, 03:51 AM
I noticed that you are located in CA, but I'm not sure where.

I have not had a horse that reared, but I will say that when I had my baby in training with Jerry Tindell (California) he was also working with a beautiful Lippizan that had a horrible problem with rearing. As a matter of fact, Jerry was this owner's last stop, because the horse was a problem and was quite dangerous.

All I know is that Jerry worked a miracle in this horse and also specializes in problem horses. If you have figured out that this horse has a behavioral rather than health issue, I encourage you to get in touch with Jerry: jerrytindell.com

If you want more information, please PM me and I would be happy to talk to you.

Good luck!