PDA

View Full Version : Carlsbad

EightBelles134
Dec. 20, 2009, 11:31 AM
apprantly the 3 year old filly Carlsbad (who was Jeff Mullins trained and a favorite for this weeks La Brea Stakes) suffered a fatal breakdown while training for the race. It was reported that she was euthanized on the track by the veterinarian...i've been watching racing for awhile,but hearing this made me sad and also curious..is it typical for horses to be euthanized on track after an injury like that without x-rays etc?

Laurierace
Dec. 20, 2009, 11:47 AM
It was a compound fracture which means the bone was sticking out through the skin, so yes no xrays were needed and it was necessary to euthanize immediately.

EponaRoan
Dec. 20, 2009, 12:37 PM
Oh, no! :( Some friends have one of her half sisters.

Carol Ames
Dec. 20, 2009, 01:05 PM
I am so terrsory:cry: What a shock k it must have been for you:eek: She is at peace now; put into your consciousness memories of her in happier times, a warm spring day, being put away, groomed and polished after a good work;)

lizathenag
Dec. 20, 2009, 02:24 PM
or with mud ground into her mane which is my OTTBs favorite look!

cottagefarm
Dec. 20, 2009, 04:34 PM
So sad. I feel so bad for her breeder/owner. Its always harder ,IMO, when you've raised them yourself!

haligator
Dec. 21, 2009, 11:08 AM
EightBelles,
I think Laurie explained the answer to your question very well. I truly believe in euthanizing asap when one knows it is a mortal injury. These are sad times when one doesn't need xrays....

As I've said before, I can better cope with death than suffering. Why some people go through the routine of xrays when it is obvious the horse has to be put down as soon as possible I'll never know. I respect people for trying to do as much as they can for their horses, but sometimes the truth is in just looking at the injury.

Godspeed Carlsbad! You've got lots of fast fillies to play with now. Go find Ta Wee and Genuine Risk - they'll introduce you to everyone. Spend some time talking with Go For Wand, Ruffian, Eight Belles, and all the others who passed on in the line of racetrack duty. It'll do you good to graze with them.

Hallie :(
Hallie I. McEvoy
Racing Dreams, LLC

Carol Ames
Dec. 21, 2009, 11:36 AM
or with mud ground into her mane which is my OTTBs favorite look!of course!:lol: