PDA

View Full Version : difference in trees for BC Wexford, Quantum, and Tex Eventer?

RunForIt
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:03 AM
This is simply curiosity (though I AM in the middle of looking for XC saddles and I hate it!)...anyone got info? Trumbull Mountain folks will be able to tell me and I expect Patti Merli at the Farmhouse will too...but, COTH info can generally add to the mix. :cool:

jn4jenny
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:09 AM
Quantum and Tex Eventer are the same tree, I believe. Wexford is a different tree. "Ricochet" is a Wexford on the outside with a Quantum tree on the inside.

RunForIt
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:16 AM
ok, Jenny, hope you see this post and reply here too...am having a hell of a time trying to find an Amerigo Pinerolo event saddle to try in a MW 17 or 17 1/2" seat (Robin may have one in an 18" seat!)...do you know ANYONE who rides a typical TB (withers, slightly rising back) in anything other than the vesuvio tree and horse is happy? I am so tempted to just try another Amerigo in a regular tree....

and yes, we may end up with Stackhouse, but then, I don't get to even try a saddle AND the money is just not there right now - do not want to do the credit card thing, plus Rasta is going to trainer for a month...

retreadeventer
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:34 AM
I am riding in my Ovation 4-star. Everyone laughs but this fits my TB's, it fits me, it is secure and comfortable, I was NOT riding it when I got bucked off and should have been! Had it almost two years now and absolutely no ill effects at alll, looks as good as the day I bought it. Love the moveable velcro blocks. Inexpensive! One could invest in one of these, ride in it a while and probably sell for as much or more than you paid if it doesn't fit something down the road. I only mention this as I know you are sort of in flux at the moment, Run For It.

jn4jenny
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:53 AM
ok, Jenny, hope you see this post and reply here too...am having a hell of a time trying to find an Amerigo Pinerolo event saddle to try in a MW 17 or 17 1/2" seat (Robin may have one in an 18" seat!)...do you know ANYONE who rides a typical TB (withers, slightly rising back) in anything other than the vesuvio tree and horse is happy? I am so tempted to just try another Amerigo in a regular tree....

As you know, the Vesuvio is very rare in the US. Most people I know use an Amerigo CC on their typical Thoroughbred. My very typical TB goes in a CC. This is a rotten picture of Skyler because you have to picture his back leg uncocked, but it gives some idea of the topline and it's recent-ish: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/jn4jenny/IMG_5499.jpg

My hunch--totally without evidence, of course--is that the DJ/CC/Vesuvio are all built on the same fundamental tree, but they curve the tree harder for the CC and even harder for the Vesuvio. I have no way to prove it, just saying this based on having worked with, and ridden in, all three saddles.

Whether it would work for a horse that's "designed" to go in a Vesuvio is something to take up with Robin. My Michigan friend whose horse goes in the Vesuvio, the one whose horse's back topline looks like a roller coaster ride with a camel hump in the front, rode in an Amerigo Close Contact demo saddle for the 16! weeks it took to get her Vesuvio custom made. She rode 6x weekly, and the horse didn't become sore in the CC. The movement wasn't as supercalifragilisticexpialidocious as it is in the Vesuvio, but it was extremely acceptable and the horse wasn't in pain.

I haven't yet met someone who didn't LOVETY LOVE their Stackhouse. But I hear you on not loving the price. And they all acknowledged that there was no fundamental gee-whiz to the Stackhouse--a saddle that fits horse and rider perfectly is always going to be adored, and Stackhouse has found a formula to ensure that it fits. Simple as that.

RunForIt
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:02 AM
Rasta and Skyler have similar rise to their backs, in fact, rasta's doesn't rise as much! The difference is in the wither area - Skyler's has much more muscle or something in those "hollows", plus I can't tell from the picture how wide Skylar's shoulders/scapula are...will never do any guessing on fitting again, but also would like to use a fitter without a love for a specific brand name.

yep, Stackhouse may well be what we do in the long run. But I am going to try some saddles so I can at least be more cognizant of what I need to "feel right", not just Rasta!

Thanks, Jenny! maybe you should do some graduate work in saddles!!!!! :D :cool:

pharmgirl
Dec. 20, 2009, 08:04 PM
Quantum and Tex Eventer are the same tree, I believe. Wexford is a different tree. "Ricochet" is a Wexford on the outside with a Quantum tree on the inside.

It's the other way around for the Ricochet. It is a Quantum design built on a Wexford tree. The Quantum seemed to have more of a banana tree, whereas the Ricochet (and I guess Wexford) is a bit flatter in tree shape (not necessarily in deepness of the seat). I thought Nicki at Black Country said the Ricochet and Wexford tree allowed for more flocking panel modifications compared to the Quantum.
(had lots of issues w/ fitting my horse, the Quantum, the Ricochet, etc, so I think I know more than I should ;))

eventer_mi
Dec. 21, 2009, 10:34 AM
I have an Amerigo, 17", MW tree, Pinerolo event saddle. And it fits Oliver just beautfully. This is what his back looks like (this picture was taken when he was pretty much unbroke, as a 6 yr old, but you can get an idea): http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2963967810053515467NVSPFe
The Amerigo is the only saddle which doesn't migrate backwards on him.

Oh, and I have a Black Country Quantum, MW tree, 18" seat. That saddle slides backwards on him in a heartbeat, and then spits the pad out the back. It's driving me crazy, and it's going up for sale, since I can't make it work. If your boy has a back like mine does, the Quantum probably isn't going to fit all that well and you'll having flying saddle pads, like I do.

RunForIt
Dec. 21, 2009, 10:57 AM
I have an Amerigo, 17", MW tree, Pinerolo event saddle. And it fits Oliver just beautfully. Problem is that no one stocks this size for trial...VTO is next phone call today

This is what his back looks like (this picture was taken when he was pretty much unbroke, as a 6 yr old, but you can get an idea): http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2963967810053515467NVSPFe
The Amerigo is the only saddle which doesn't migrate backwards on him.

Yep, that's Rasta's back!

Oh, and I have a Black Country Quantum, MW tree, 18" seat. That saddle slides backwards on him in a heartbeat, and then spits the pad out the back. It's driving me crazy, and it's going up for sale, since I can't make it work. If your boy has a back like mine does, the Quantum probably isn't going to fit all that well and you'll having flying saddle pads, like I do.

Same thing happened with both the Quantum and the Tex Eventer...they are now happily rehomed and loved...