View Full Version : saddle slips back - how to keep in place?

Dec. 20, 2009, 09:58 AM
My Aachen dressage saddle slides back on my boy. I've had the fit checked by the fitter/bodywork guy and my trainer, both of whom say the fit is nearly perfect.

I have a very uphill built Trakehner, with a big shoulder. Oliver seems to have a girth groove that's set back a bit further than I've seen on a horse, so the girth seems to want to migrate back to that groove. I've tried using a Nunn Finer no-slip, which seems to help a little bit.

The only saddle that doesn't seem to migrate backwards is my Amerigo. The Black Country Quantum that I have is another one that seems to fit well, but after only about 20 minutes, the saddle has slipped back and the pad is "spitting" out the backi. Any suggestions? I'm tempted to get a breastplate for jumping, but I really don't like the way they look for dressage. TIA!

Dec. 20, 2009, 10:09 AM
Sorry to say, but I think a black breastcollar for Dressage is the only way you're going to get your saddle to stay put on your horse. ;)

It's not so bad, really. :) I have had to use them in dressage from time to time.

Good luck!

Dec. 20, 2009, 10:10 AM
I love my elastic polo breastcollar, problem solved!

Dec. 20, 2009, 10:36 AM
Did you ever consider that where your saddle ends up is the place that it is supposed to be?

My mare has a big shoulder. I was taught to place it so that the point of the tree lies behind the shoulder blade. When my saddle fitter saw where I was placing it, he said that it was still too far forward. You have to leave room for the shoulder blade to rotate backward, which it is not doing while your horse is standing still.

My saddle fitter told me to start by placing the saddle up on the withers. Lift the back of the saddle, then slide it back until the pommel stops moving. Lower the back of the saddle. This is where the saddle is supposed to sit. My girth is almost a hand behind the elbow, when it is correct. It really does help to free up the shoulder for dressage and jumping.

Dec. 20, 2009, 10:38 AM
You could try a Nunn Finer No Slip Pad.

Dec. 20, 2009, 11:18 AM
Have you tried one of those anatomic girths? Maybe that will help keep it from wanting to slide back but still help keep your saddle more forward. Though I do agree that sometimes I think we put them too far forward. But... we don't know without seeing it :)

Good luck!

Dec. 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
Use a hunting breastplate.

But only if you're confident that this isn't a saddle fit issue.

If so then get that sorted first.

Dec. 20, 2009, 02:29 PM
Or a foregirth.

But if that's where the saddle likes to be, maybe that's where it's supposed to be.

Dec. 21, 2009, 02:07 AM
Have you tried one of those anatomic girths? Maybe that will help keep it from wanting to slide back but still help keep your saddle more forward. Though I do agree that sometimes I think we put them too far forward. But... we don't know without seeing it :)

Good luck!

I would use an anatomic girth. A lot of horses have this problem, it isnt their saddle, it is the way that they are built through their girth (not pun intended) and need a girth that sits farther back in order for their saddles to fit correctly.

Dec. 21, 2009, 11:27 AM
The anatomic girths keep the saddle from sliding forward - they're more for horses with a very forward girth groove. Oliver's is very far back. A foregirth also just keeps the saddle from sliding forward, not back. And yes, I've tried the Nunn Finer no-slip - doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I have considered that the saddle wants to be there, but it's a little weird - it appears to be almost sitting in the middle of his back! He's very short-backed, so I'm afraid of putting pressue on his loins. And yes, I've had two different people, one a professional fitter, take a look at the saddle and it fits him fine.

Looks like I'm probably going to have to shop for a breastplate! Any suggestions for ones that don't look too weird in dressage, but can also make the switch over to cross country? I like the 5 point breastplate for xc, but I think they would be a little too "much" for dressage, don't you?

Dec. 21, 2009, 01:34 PM
I used to do dressage in a hunting breastplate. I think that it looks classy.

Dec. 21, 2009, 01:58 PM
please check your PMs.

Dec. 21, 2009, 02:12 PM
I hate to say this, but based on what you were saying about your horse on RunForIt's thread, and based on what you say about the Amerigo not sliding...it might be a saddle fit issue. Fitting a saddle to a horse standing still is rarely the same as fitting it to a moving horse. It's totally possible that the horse's movement "pushes" the saddle backward into the low point of the topline.

RFI had similar problems with her BC Tex Eventer, and her Amerigo doesn't do it. I too used to have a Black Country Quantum that allegedly fit my curvy-toplined TB great, but it would slide backward. When Skyler stands still, you would have sworn that the Quantum fit him nicely. Our Amerigo CC doesn't slide. And it sounds like Oliver has a very similar topline to my horse's and Rasta's.

Dec. 21, 2009, 03:36 PM
my big boy will be going in a hunting breastplate (and non-slip pad) for dressage since we have similar saddle-sliding issues (since his back is built like a ski slope

I don't have any photos of my horse in dressage saddle + breastplate - but here's a random one...doesn't look bad :)

Dec. 21, 2009, 06:00 PM
Jeez, sorry, I had a brain fart there. Duh, I know what a foregirth is for, and obviously it is NOT relevant to your current saddle dilemma. Sorry. :uhoh: :uhoh: