PDA

View Full Version : A question:

Larksmom
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:13 PM
If you had a horse to run, and your trainer had another better horse and wanted them to run in the same race, why would you ever agree to run as a rabbit for another owner? I can understand if it is the same owner, but if you were a secondary owner, why would you do that to your horse whom you should want to win?

Flypony
Dec. 20, 2009, 12:20 AM
Is there another spot for the horse? Sometimes the better horse dosen't win. That's why they run the race.

EponaRoan
Dec. 20, 2009, 02:17 AM
Also, horse needs a race. Not necessarily looking to win, just needs race before whatever they're aiming for in future.

Owner/trainer owes racing secretary a favor to fill the race aka scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

Horse #2's owner lets trainer do whatever s/he thinks best and just pays the bills.

Trainer and/ or owner of other horse has blackmail photos of rabbit's owner. ;)

Laurierace
Dec. 20, 2009, 08:34 AM
No.

LaurieB
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:58 AM
Would I agree to let my horse run as a rabbit? No.

Would I let my horse run in a race where my trainer had another entry that was possibly/probably capable of beating my horse on the day? Yes, if it was the right race for my horse.

NancyM
Dec. 20, 2009, 11:11 AM
I would not be keen on letting my horse be used as a rabbit. It can damage them, for sure, to do that to them. Damage them physically, and mentally.

I bought a broodmare who had been used as a rabbit for a big time stakes mare locally. She had tried her heart out setting the pace on multiple occasions for the Big Mare. If she had been rated a bit, she might have been stakes class. Such a waste. Her son was a stakes winner.

Laurierace
Dec. 20, 2009, 11:58 AM
I agree that there is nothing wrong with a trainer running two horses in the same race. But there is something very wrong with sacrificing one horse's chance to make money to make it easier for the other horse to make money when they don't own both of them. If they want to run a rabbit then can buy another horse of their own, not take money out of your pocket.

Larksmom
Dec. 20, 2009, 02:29 PM
I was referring to horses used almost exclusively as rabbits. Didn't English Channel use one? Horse never seemed to win just fade away. I can see as a favor or to fill, but when a horse is used as a rabbit, I would think that would do wierd things to the brain. Not to mention the danger of a breakdown for basically nothing. Don't know that it would bother a horse, I was just wondering about it.

lily04
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:15 AM
Shake The Bank was used as a rabbit for Better Talk Now a few times.

EponaRoan
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:37 PM
Cryptoclearance and Lustra!