PDA

View Full Version : The goat poop falls right through my manure fork....Help!!!

imapepper
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:53 PM
Okay....acquired the goat....not my idea but....I have a goat.

And after a little bit of getting used to each other, we have developed a pretty good working relationship. Myrtle the goat greets me enthusiastically everyday with bleating and tail wagging. I like to think it's because she likes me but I know it's because I am the bringer of hay (she seems to prefer the crappy hay :confused: ) and goat feed. And I have learned how to goat proof a fence and stall. But I only have one problem. After searching most of the local feed stores, I cannot find a manure fork that picks up goat poop :( I need a fork that can clean the stall to my standards. Help me goat experts :)

wsmoak
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:16 PM
I can't find it in a quick search, but I used to have a wide shovel made of diamond mesh that I bet would work.

(For horses it wasn't useful with shavings as they wouldn't fall through, but could be used with sawdust bedding.)

mvp
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:20 PM
Yes-- well maybe-- the diamond mesh shovel. This may be your only hope.

But, they are very, very hard to find. I found the only ones I have seen in the last five years at a vendor from Missouri at Equine Affaire, MA. I'm saying Charitan Tack or Farm Supply or some such name.

The shovels are not in their printed catalogue, but I'd call these guys if you want one.

The shovels are aluminum, shaped like a regulation manure shovel and have a handle at the end. They will work with large size shavings if you are willing to sift. They *rule* for horse apples and fine shavings or pellet bedding.

Seriously.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 20, 2009, 01:03 AM
Maybe one of these sifting/scoop/shovels?

http://beaconathletics.com/store/products/Toolite_Shovels-732-0.html

Here is the totally mesh shovel/scoop:

http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=18633

Sabovee
Dec. 20, 2009, 07:55 AM
The best way I've found to muck out a goat (or sheep) stall is with a shovel. Just take out the entire poop/pee spot, you waste bedding, but it's really the only way to go.

equusus
Dec. 20, 2009, 08:23 AM
I use a leaf rake to rake the mess into a pile, and then pick up the pile. This gets most of it and use a shovel or dust pan if you want every little pearl.

Hilary
Dec. 20, 2009, 08:35 AM
I have a manure fork with very tightly spaced tines and it works fairly well for our goats - but our goats are giant Nubians so their poop is at least a cm in diametier.

But I also find that you end up just stripping the stall once a week or so with a shovel.

When these ladies pass on we will not be 'acquiring' any more goats. Ever.

imapepper
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks! I will be ordering that shovel. I have been stripping the stall once a week. This is a little goat. I have no idea what kind she is. The shovel has been the only way I have managed to pick up any poop at all. I tried to strip the stall using the manure fork and got the bedding but the poop fell out of the fork. I had to sweep it into a pile and shovel it :rolleyes:

mvp
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:53 AM
Yup, the Valentine shovel on the Big D website is the one I have.

But the shifting shovel will be even better for "goat pearls." I didn't even know about this one. Thanks for the link!

Hope you are getting that one.

2Jakes
Dec. 20, 2009, 05:42 PM
You could always use one of the doggie scooper sets that is a mini rake and a scoop on a handle. Rake the raisenettes into scoop and dump. You'll still be stripping every week or so though...

Equibrit
Dec. 20, 2009, 06:13 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6327a11/=50p6ll

6327A11
Sifting Scoop with Aluminum Mesh Blade
15" X 16" Blade, 42" Length
Aluminum D-Handle
In stock at $38.64 Each

Maybe a sand scoop ? http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.htm

summerhorse
Dec. 20, 2009, 08:00 PM
A doggie pooper scooper shovel and rake set works well for goats and rabbits. Sheep too I suppose. Of course if you are just mucking the whole place out a regular shovel and rake will do!