PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Peeps

LAZ
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:21 AM
How do you keep your water ice-free for the chickens? running out and changing out waterers several times a day is going to get old, really fast!

Calvincrowe
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:52 AM
Buy a heated pet water bowl, like a small version of the heated buckets for horses.

Or, put a heat lamp in the coop, right over the water bowl.

Make sure the bowl is far from the door and breezes.

sunridge1
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:56 AM
I use a heat lamp situated over the fount.

2DogsFarm
Dec. 21, 2009, 04:58 PM
Like Calvincrowe I went with the heated petbowl - $12 from Menards.

So far it is working great, even when we had subzero temps a couple weeks ago.

I keep a 5gal plastic jug (from kitty litter) filled with fresh water in the house and take it with me when I tend to the chickens.

The only drawback so far is to my Houdan pullet who has a big topknot of feathers. She dips these when she drinks and in the really cold weather they froze. Poor thing had a crown of icicles.

JSwan
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:00 PM
Poor thing had a crown of icicles.

Please say you got photos.

My entire flock is having fits. They wanted OUT.

I said ok guys - and I opened the door.

By 2 pm one had gotten as far as the ramp.

That's it.

They're back in the coop muttering to themselves. It's all just too awful. (they say)

deltawave
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:11 PM
I have a heated chicken waterer that I got at the feed store. Just fill and plug in. It's great. I also have a "drip" waterer (a pitcher with a bird nipple on the bottom) in the coop that has actually managed to stay unfrozen because there's a heat lamp in there. It has gotten down around 12 degrees a couple of nights and so far that's managed to be OK, too. But the heated waterer is nice because it holds 3 gallons and only has to be refilled/cleaned about once a week.

OK, that looks weird. No "bird nipple" jokes, please. I don't know how else to describe it! Sort of like a hamster water bottle, but for birds. :D

2DogsFarm
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:23 PM
Please say you got photos.

My entire flock is having fits. They wanted OUT.

I said ok guys - and I opened the door.

By 2 pm one had gotten as far as the ramp.

That's it.

They're back in the coop muttering to themselves. It's all just too awful. (they say)

Sorry, no pics, you will have to use your imagination.
And she has the beadiest little red eyes - not soft gold ones like my Delawares & Black Stars.
No wonder they are meant to be covered up by feathers.

She is thawed out now but I may give her a modified Mohawk if we get another spell of deep cold.

My girls aren't thrilled with Winter either.
I leave the coop open all day and they occasionally wander out as evidenced by tracks in the snow.
But they are not amused.
I hear lots of muttering in there - sounds like they are planning a hostile takeover.
And I get that LOOK (you know the one) when I go into the coop.
Who knew 2 little eyes & a beak could be so expressive.

However they are still giving me 2-4 eggs a day.
So, as a token gesture of apology for the weather, I toss them a flake of hay to scratch around in out in the yard.
I even bought them a big bunch of collard greens.
I am a Good Chicken Mom
And I fear their wrath

Calvincrowe
Dec. 21, 2009, 06:39 PM
Well, wait until your girls have been cooped up (groan! Pun fully intended!) for a week or so, and as you bend down, to do something meaningful to the feeder or water pan or something...one of them pecks you in the head from her perch above you. That hurts, let me tell you. World domination my ass! They are mean little suckers, those Australorps. I decided then and there--the door was opening and you awful creatures can take your chances with 40 mph wind outside. By God, you fly ladies, you'll fly! :lol::lol:

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Dec. 21, 2009, 07:40 PM
Who else thought this thread was going to be about chicken-flavored Peeps?

OK, sorry. Please proceed.

RiverBendPol
Dec. 22, 2009, 08:03 AM
I have one of these-it is fabulous. Yes, alot of $ but not breaking ice and carrying water 3xday is worth it to me! :winkgrin:
http://www.randallBurkey.com/Heated-3-Gallon-Fountain/productinfo/10020/

Are anybody's hens laying? Mine have been on strike since the beginning of September. Yes, they have extra light, comfy nesting boxes, are free range, have cozy shavings in their house, good food, warm water.......What else can I do??

TuxWink
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:12 PM
I think they're too cold! ;) Mine are still laying an egg a day. The exception was when we had a few days of rain and then I just got one egg a day for two days. However, my Easter Egger refuses to lay any eggs at all. :(

Here's some photos of mine frolicking in our 70 degree sunshine last weekend:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6MjoAYRWr7RbanbQIjSapA?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/whr8r31x07bo1gBRIGujMw?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/t9QFZwvYXtQL7Gpd9sHtVw?feat=directlink

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:23 PM
Trixie only has three ladies and I'm not adding one more item to the B.O.'s electric bill (we're already running electric fence and the stock tank de-icer) so Trixie bought two small Forti-Flex black rubber pans. They hold a half gallon and it is easy to smack them on the ground to pop the ice out. We carry out a half gallon container of water twice a day when we feed the horses and take care of the chickie-ladies that way.

Oh, since I feed mornings on my way to work, I only actually "see" the girls on Saturday when it is daylight. :rolleyes: Trixie's chickie-ladies are not early risers. Last Sunday, when Mr. Wings went to feed, he reported that Agnes came to the bottom of the ramp and talked at him. She was less than pleased with the blanket of snow and wished him to do SOMETHING about it.

Hootley-hoo! :confused: Hootley-hoo!

Agnes does not cluck.