PDA

View Full Version : Who here is in the big winter storm?

Yip
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:34 PM
And where are you located? How much snow are you expecting? Are you well-prepared?

We have escaped the sleet and slow and have been having drenching rain all day. Supposed to freeze on the roads and turn to snow overnight. We shouldn't get much. My DD in the DC area is expecting 20+ inches.

My mares are in their blankies in their stalls till further notice. I'm feeding small amts. of hay every few hours. Each time I feed, I also clean the stalls. So far so good. I have never seen so much mud in my entire life.

Yip

Golden Pony
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:41 PM
We are expecting 18-24" in northern Virginia. I have 5 gallons of milk 3 loaves of bread, 6 cartons of cigs, 3 bottles of Old New England Egg Nog (high test)...Just kidding! (about everything except the booze, of course!) I stopped at the store after work today to get some vanilla extract to make Christmas cookies this weekend. It looked like Armageddon!

It's 11:36pm, been snowing since 7:30pm, and now coming down like crazy. And of course it's only 25 degrees!

The Fatlingers are tucked in their stalls with hay and are really pissed! They love the snow. They are in because we are also supposed to be getting high winds tonight with the driving snow. They will get to go out tomorrow and roll in the snow and get little snowballs in their manes.

Hey Yip - Max and Honey send snowy Christmas kisses to Rose and Cookie!

Meredith Clark
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:53 PM
I'm in north eastern MD and we're supposed to get 5-8 inches tonight/tomorrow and 4-6 more the next night.

That's a lot for Maryland!

Of course I've been waiting all winter to have my barn delivered and this weekend was going to be the perfect time (ground finally frozen, excavator ready, etc) and now we're going to be snowed out :no:

My 2 boys have a small run in but for the most part they're going to have to tough it out (with their full neck heavy weight blankets, heated water trough, and enough hay to feed an elephant!)

alteringwego
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:59 PM
NC with 11" of snow right now!

Yip
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:05 AM
Fatlingers, lol, GP!

I can imagine they're fit to be tied, literally. They're young and active.

Mine are going stir crazy, esp. the *fatlinger*. It's just too horribly cold and wet to let them out. If it were snowing, I sure would - ex. if there's really high winds.

I talked to S. mid afternoon and it hadn't begun there yet. They had gone to the store and thought it so strange that it was Friday noon and all the milk, bread, etc. was sold out. She was in college in AZ & never lived in Asheville with us, so she never experienced the storm mentality thing. That never happened our entire lives up in OH. With that much predicted, I'd be stocking up too. They might have to close Northern VA!

You should see Cookie pulling the cart and loving it. You would be so proud! We're having a blast on the few days in 6 weeks the weather has been good enough to get out.

Merry Christmas to your family!!

Yip

Trevelyan96
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:07 AM
I'm in Southern MD, and we're expecting up to 22 inches. Weatherman said this is 'the big one'. Of course, they love to over-dramatize everything.

Boys are tucked into their stalls with plenty of hay and water. Everyone is home safe and sound. Firewood on the porch.

So... tomorrow I'll just hunker down with some hot chocolate or cider and curse the weather gods for their timing, as I'm on call Sunday! And we still haven't gotten our tree!

Yip
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:10 AM
alteringwego, you must be located in the mtns. Yikes! I know it's still coming down. The mtn. snowstorm is all our Clt. news is showing!

We lived just S. of the Parkway in A'vl. for 2 years. We'll never forget the first winter. Our 2 kids were in high school and missed 22 days of school from beg. January to mid February. They had to go to school on Easter vacation and even Memorial Day to make up the snow days. That was a learning experience! Oh, that's where we learned that even when 3" of snow is forecast, the grocery stores get emptied out of bread, milk, OJ, cereal, etc.

Yip

filly78
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:12 AM
The forecast I heard earlier was for between 12-18". We are about an hour NW of Philadelphia. Sounds like the snow won't be starting until daybreak here, so we turned our guys out tonight. Figured they will be in all day tomorrow, so might as well let them have some outside time before the snow gets here :) I am not looking forward to having to shovel a path to get out to the barn tomorrow!

dalpal
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:37 AM
Oh man, I feel for you guys. :sadsmile:

I made the mistake of staying at the barn past 6 tonight and had to drive home in the snow. I felt confident knowing I have a 4 wheel drive...but being the first time that I've driven in snow/at night....I hadn't thought about the visiability issue. It was a long drive home...took an extra 30 minutes.

Now it's just raw, 34 and pouring rain. We need a YUCK icon

Beam Me Up
Dec. 19, 2009, 01:53 AM
I'm in NoVA (DC suburbs). So far about 6" but they are predicting 1' - 2'.
I have extra water drawn, plenty of horse/people food, but will be hating it if we lose power as that means no barn water, house heat. I brought the horses in but they are not happy about it.

JSwan
Dec. 19, 2009, 06:56 AM
I'm in the piedmont of Virginia - it's almost 7 am and there is about 6 inches? It's hard to tell because it's windy and drifts are forming.

Generators are fueled and on standby, round bale is out - plenty of feed, hay, water, tractor battery is charged,etc.

I don't worry about the snow too much - we could live out here for weeks without power.

I'm worried about a fast melt and... flooding. The entire area is a huge floodplain and it floods. Only one main road out - which is at creek level in some places. It closes. So if it melts - I hope it's very slow.

I drove in it last night and frankly - I was STUPID.

Hope everyone is ok - I tell you what - my chickens are going to be very very grumpy. No outdoor time for them for a couple of days!

strawberry roan
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:01 AM
10" so far! Still coming down. Getting ready to venture down to the barn and do morning feed. I know the beasties will want to go out and might let them out for some playtime while I clean stalls. They are just like big kids in this stuff!

RidingAllDay
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:01 AM
Looks like we are in for 12 - 18", with high winds :) My horses will be out in it, with lots of hay, heated water troughs and lovely run in sheds.

We are all prepped. I had to cancel my work plans, which sucks, but I'll enjoy the snow.

dani0303
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:07 AM
I'm in the Greensboro area and we've got about 5 inches on the ground. Ponies are all in and snuggled under their blankets, but I'm sure they will not be happy about staying in for another day.

mybeau1999
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:50 AM
I'm right in between Baltimore & Annapolis, the latest weather report said 16-26 inches... We have about 10 right now, which is double what we were supposed to get during the night.

Horses are tucked in their stalls, buckets were filled with warm water and hay racks are chocked full. Plus they got more hay around 3 this morning.

Looking forward to some sledding :)
NOT looking forward to pushing a full wheelbarrow to the manure pile....

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:18 AM
mybeau...why use the wheelbarrow if you have a sled? Just put a muck bucket in the sled, fill it and slide it to the manure pile. That's what I do, makes the chore sooooo much easier!

However I do not recommend standing on the back of the sled to ride it down to your downhill manure pile...it never works out like yoou think it's going to. :winkgrin: :eek: :lol:

allpurpose
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:31 AM
Hey all you snowbound COTHers:

Do as we do in Michigan - saddle up and go for a ride (bareback is best cuz it's WARMER!!). If you've never ridden in 2 feet of snow, it's a blast! Bundle up and watch out, cuz your horsie will be a bit fresh.

Make sure you have something warm to drink when you come back to the barn - you'll need it!:yes:

I want to hear back on the snow riding stories - they're bound to be good!

P.S. "Fatlinger" is a hilarious term! Never known a thin one!

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:35 AM
That's the BEST thing about snowfalls! Even better going for a night time ride while snow is still falling. Cold and brisk and not pitch dark out...and sooo quiet and peaceful!

RxCate
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:39 AM
Ugh - can i have some please?!!

We went to the movies last night at the good theatre about 20mi away- when we came out around 1030 it was snowing and gorgeous and I was in heaven - then we get home, to the beach, and of course it's just nasty driving rain -

I was hoping it would turn overnight, but nope, woke up this morning to more nasty, driving rain.

God I hate the beach sometimes.

Golden Pony
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:42 AM
AP - we also fondly refer to the Haffies as "Hayflingers" because it is hilarious to watch them ruffle through a pile of hay to find the best pieces first. My farrier breeds Clydesdales and he calls my Haffies the "Half-drafts". First time I heard him say it he was on the phone to his wife when he had just gotten to the barn. Cracked me up!

mybeau1999
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:47 AM
mybeau...why use the wheelbarrow if you have a sled? Just put a muck bucket in the sled, fill it and slide it to the manure pile. That's what I do, makes the chore sooooo much easier!

However I do not recommend standing on the back of the sled to ride it down to your downhill manure pile...it never works out like yoou think it's going to. :winkgrin: :eek: :lol:

HA HA!! I see you speak from experience:lol:

But that is a great idea!! I'll have to try to dig out an old sled, if we have one... if not, I'll be purchasing one next time we go to the store. Thanks for the tip!!

allpurpose
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:53 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

hcreek
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:54 AM
11 inches here in foothills, nc

BaroquePony
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:54 AM
I am just delighted the power is still on.

After trashing the phone lines with a bulldozer last week, I am even happier that my phone guy got it fixed just before I got socked in.

So, maybe two inches of snow (central NC, an hour south of the VA border) ... then covered with an all night rain slush sleet mess with wind gusts up to 30 mph.

TimelyImpulse
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:58 AM
South of DC about 50 miles. Snow up the ying-yang for VA. It's still coming down and has gotten pretty windy. The JRT won't even leave the porch mat because the snow is over his head! Of course, that's only the 2 minutes or so he's not on the couch wrapped in a blankie.

gallopinggram
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:14 AM
Here in South Central PA we're getting a LOT of snow. Right now there's about 8 in. but it's really drifting. Predicted amounts of over a foot. I had to dig a large drift out before I could get into the barn. My 2 horsies have a small paddock to play in (just to get their jollies out) then will be going back in. Did the bread and milk run yesterday!

My biggest concern is my daughter (a nurse) who has to work from 3 pm to around midnight. And her husband (a police officer) who works the midnight shift tonight. They have 3 boys under 11 y.o. who I was supposed to babysit this evening from around 9 - midnight (their farm is about 6 mi away). I don't know how this is going to work! Just recently retired from a career in teaching, I was quite spoiled in that when the weather was bad, we had snow days. My daughter and her husband have to go to work no matter what the roads are like - God bless them and people like them who have jobs they have to get to!

Berkley
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:20 AM
Halfway between Richmond and Charlottesville VA at the end of a mile long private road on a ridge above the James River....it is 25 degrees, gusting winds out of the north, with 12 inches at 6:00 am.....EXPECTING 18 TO 24 INCHES

The only one excited is my 12 year old little girl, who is waiting to blast out of here on her new John Deere Gator 4X4......

Horses are fine........

f4leggin
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:25 AM
I feel for all of you... We are sunny and crisp here in Colorado - my first thought when I started reading was that you guys all might have a white Christmas! Sounds like you will more likely have a wet muddy christmas...

I can't figure out my problem with snow - I curse it for the most part when it's happening, and miss it when I read someone else is getting it and we aren't. Must be because I spent most of my life w/o it. Anyway - stay warm, sled when possible, definitely ride it in, enjoy it. Driving at night when it's snowing - definitely on my list of least favorite things to do!

Jill

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:44 AM
HA HA!! I see you speak from experience
Yeah, for some reason every year I think I'll actually be able to stay on the entire ride down. And I also seem to forget how far I fly off and how much it hurts when I do. :winkgrin: :lol: :winkgrin:

f4leggin...I hope we have a white Christmas. But now the extended weather report says Christmas day it will warm up and rain. :mad: Blech, that should be a mess!

KnKShowmom
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:55 AM
We're about an hour south of Charlottesville - 11 inches when I fed at 7 but its been snowing hard ever since so I am sure we are pushing the 12-14" mark.

Barn cat looked out the door when I opened it this morning and said no thanks, and turn around and went back into the hay room to curl up and stay warm!

Roanoke had 16" this morning.

mothermucker12
Dec. 19, 2009, 10:02 AM
baltimore county about 6" now calling for 20-30"~our guys stayed out last night and will come in for the night around 2:00 this afternoon, thanks goodness the round bale came the other day!

Sakura
Dec. 19, 2009, 10:45 AM
Half way between Richmond and DC... 20+ inches right now :eek: Blustering winds at times... stinging, powdery snow... A white Christmas indeed!

Arcadien
Dec. 19, 2009, 10:55 AM
Here in southern NJ, one FOOT already and snowing hard - if this keeps up until 6 am tomorrow we are going to be good and buried!

Thankfully my big 4x4 truck makes getting around easy. And I don't plow - I just drive my truck up and down and all around I want paths, LOL.

KPF
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:00 AM
We're in between Richmond and Charlottesville and have around 18-20". Still have power so that's awesome, sure hope it lasts. We have a portable generator but will have no water if power goes, I have two bathtubs and a bunch of buckets/pitchers/containers filled just in case.

I left my horses in this AM, was going to let them out but it was hard for me to walk in the snow, I was too scared of getting hurt leading fresh horses out. Hopefully hubby will get on the tractor soon and clear me a path from barn to both paddocks, right now they're in munching hay.

I had a harrowing drive home from work last night, accidents everywhere and my 4wd jeep slid around on me quite a bit... very scary. I was so thankful to make it home that I kissed the jeep when I got here!:lol: Our neighbor is a tow truck driver and we called him earlier, he's been out since 5PM last night without a break.

LauraKY
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:05 AM
So glad I moved to Kentucky from Maryland. Four on the ground here, eight expected (that's inches). Which you have to realize, will shut us down. Lexington only has 36 snow plows, TOTAL.

Yip
Dec. 19, 2009, 02:02 PM
However I do not recommend standing on the back of the sled to ride it down to your downhill manure pile...it never works out like yoou think it's going to.

LOL! I'm getting the image right now!

I hope all of you in the path of the storm keep your electricity. That is the worst part of storms. No water for man or beast, and no flushing toilets. We have 2 gas only fireplaces in the house so we'll never be freezing again, at least.

My DD in Vienna, VA is about buried, and it's not letting up. I understand a lot of VA is closed until further notice!

Yip

trina1
Dec. 19, 2009, 02:29 PM
Over 12 inches - we are knee deep in snow in most places! Turned the ponies out in their turnout blankets to romp around and play for a while in the snow! We are in SW Virginia near Roanoke!

Miss Aria
Dec. 19, 2009, 02:36 PM
It's coming down really hard right now; last time I measured the snow we had 8" but if it keeps up this intensity that will easily increase. The wind is picking up, too. The plows can't keep the road clear at all; it's amazing the amount of people who are out driving ib this mess. I can't get to the barn to help, but my dogs are loving this snowfall; so am I, come to think of it.

mkevent
Dec. 19, 2009, 03:05 PM
South Jersey-we're forecast to get anywhere between 12-20" of snow. We have more people on the road than I would have expected, but it seems to be quieting down now.

I don't think my dogs are loving the snow too much- short legged corgis have a tough time getting through all this white stuff!!

asterix
Dec. 19, 2009, 03:22 PM
I'm in DC proper, snow is quite impressive -- I'd estimate about 20" and still coming. Dog is in 7th heaven, bounding around like a nut (he's a hound/lab cross and powers his way around).

I am hoping the ponies are just fine -- they live out 24/7, are fuzzy. They have a shed, a HUGE round bale, and the excellent BO lives on the property and will go tractor them some more if need be. I assume they will just sort themselves out -- the drive out is more than even I would want to take on right now. I have 4wd but can only imagine the idiocy of my fellow residents...

first car I saw this morning (this was a foot of snow ago): DC cop car, sliding down the street, a tiny little window of his windshield cleared (NOT the side windows, NOT the rear window. it was like a snow tank). :eek:
Mr asterix saw a police car hit a parked car. Guys at the precinct over by the dog park are basically hanging out on the front steps pushing all the cars that get stuck in front of the station...

The ponies are fine, right? I wish I had a pasture-cam.

Beam Me Up
Dec. 19, 2009, 03:41 PM
I think in Northern VA we are over 18" at this point.

I put mine out for a bit, then they complained and are back in. They will probably get another couple hrs this evening for me to clean up. My biggest issue is the wind and the drifts--it was piled up about 3' against the barn door, and when it blew in the matted aisle got really slick.

Happy that I still have power--it seems like this should be wrapping up in the next few hrs and that at least is a relief.

Melelio
Dec. 19, 2009, 03:56 PM
We're in Carroll County, MD and have about 15" now, but it could be more because it's light fluffy stuff, and the wind is blowing it around, so could've blown an inch or two off.

I put the horses out at lunchtime to muck and refill hay nets. My black App was NOT impressed with my decision, but the others hopped around a bit and tried to dig for grass. 10 minutes later they all came in with about an inch of snow on their backs! Had to brush em off so it didn't melt into them.

pharmgirl
Dec. 19, 2009, 03:58 PM
suburbs of DC here- Olney, MD. We easily have a foot and a half and probably more. The worst is when it starts blowing a bit.

The Sled Dog Samoyed puppy and border collie/aussie cross are loving it! The snow is deep enough now that they mostly hop instead of run :).

asterix- I'm sure the ponies are fine! I would love a pasture cam but more for entertainment than to make sure they're ok :yes:. My guess is that they are just sitting in the woods at the hay eating away.

I have a 4wd Explorer with great tires, but once it gets really deep even that has clearance issues. I just hope we get some kind of plowing in the next couple of days. The last time we had a storm this bad, we got the truck out of our street but it did get stuck around a turn. We ended up parking it at the school behind our house where it had to stay for several days until we got plowed.

mkevent
Dec. 19, 2009, 03:59 PM
Mine have the option of coming under the overhangs. Horses on the side protected from the wind stood under the overhangs all day(of course, that's where their hay is,too!!)

The horses on the windy side chose to stand by the treeline when they weren't eating hay. They didn't look too miserable(at least not as much as me!!). I have some haynets up in their stalls and some under the overhangs. My gelding is eating the hay under the overhangs on the windy side while all the rest are in their stalls eating hay.

I think the horses manage this weather much better than we do.

TimelyImpulse
Dec. 19, 2009, 04:01 PM
Weather guys said it would lighten up around 3 pm, but it's still snowing hard.

So far today: I got the tractor stuck in a ditch trying to plow a path on the 1/2 mile long driveway. Luckily the F250 pulled it out.

I've picked snowballs out of horse feet 6 times already. Pam Cooking spray does not work very well.

I realized I should have bought those Carhart (insulated) overalls.

And, I think I sprained my lower back after laying on the top bales of hay in my "hay garage" and pushing as hard as I could with my legs to push the snow off the roof.

Meredith Clark
Dec. 19, 2009, 04:42 PM
I think the horses manage this weather much better than we do.

I have to keep telling myself that!

I went out last night and filled up their big heated trough and filled up 2 big hay bags, 1 muck bucket full of hay, and 2 hay racks in the run in shed with hay. I also put their heavy weights with full necks on since they usually choose not to go in their shed.

I had a feeling I wasn't going to be able to get out to the barn today. I feel badly that they didn't get their grain (although they only get half a scoop and are only fed once a day) but it won't do them any good if I get into a car accident and die.. so I'm staying put!

must keep telling myself that they are horses and they'll be fine.

2boys
Dec. 19, 2009, 04:45 PM
We are just waiting for the inevitable here in MA. Supposed to be getting 12"-18". Boys are boarded for the winter, and although I hate lugging buckets through snow, I love schlepping out to check them during big storms. Probably wouldn't be saying that if they were home...:sadsmile:

Buffyblue
Dec. 19, 2009, 05:24 PM
We're getting hit in New York City right now. Snow blowing sideways, 21 degrees. I think the last I heard was around 12" expected... UGH! Sure is pretty though. My new Meezers were looking out the window - aww - it's their first snow! :)

tabula rashah
Dec. 19, 2009, 05:31 PM
Here in the corner where MD, PA and DE come together- just measured 16" in the flat driveway where it hadn't drifted:eek:

Meredith Clark
Dec. 19, 2009, 05:34 PM
Here in the corner where MD, PA and DE come together- just measured 16" in the flat driveway where it hadn't drifted:eek:

My family and I were just talking about you guys in Rising Sun, have the snow plows made it to you yet? My mom and I work for the school system and we're playing for closures Monday and Tuesday!!

juanbadcat
Dec. 19, 2009, 05:47 PM
i think we have about 20" here. Just about to bring our 'boys' in for the night. They look so miserable, icicles hanging off them and their blankets - 2 each - a winter blanket covered by a gortex sheet - the best waterproof blankets around. They will be very happy to come in. Can't imagine riding in this weather, especially bareback....CIAO!

Mali
Dec. 19, 2009, 05:49 PM
I didn't measure- I'm sure it's close to 12", but it's NOT windy. For that- I'm thankful. Horses chose to stay out and play all day vs. be in the run-in shed. The new puppy is enjoying this amazing white stuff and it's actually breathed life into the old dog as well. What a great day! I feel for everybody struggling in this storm...

epsilon
Dec. 19, 2009, 06:12 PM
Well this is my first Atlantic snow storm. It was fun until we got in the gator to feed everyone with snow pelting us. We loaded the run-ins with hay. I turned my yearling out for a couple hours and trudged out there to bring him in and he was MAD, not happy that he had to come in.
I think we have around 16-17" in Chestertown, expecting around 20. Everything is closed, glad I did my grocery shopping Thurs. I told the ponies' owner we're ready for Aiken! ;)

lilypondlane
Dec. 19, 2009, 06:44 PM
In western Prince William County, at the base of the Bull Run Mountains. Really hard to say how much we've gotten so far -- so windy, it was snowing sideways most of the day and drifts are 3' deep. Taking care of 10 horses in a blizzard requires 3 things: a strong back, warm boots and a sense of humor. I don't have a sled, but I used an empty Rubbermaid container to get a bale of hay out to my two field boarded guys.

cb06
Dec. 19, 2009, 06:51 PM
Leesburg, Virginia...around 20 inches...still snowing...

LarissaL
Dec. 19, 2009, 06:52 PM
I feel so guilty for mine!! They live out and I haven't seen them since Thurs, when the forecast was quite different. They're only in their medium weight blankets! Do you guys blanket by air temp or by wind chill? I'm always so torn!

My cats have been having a ball. All now indoor kitties but that doesn't stop them from wanting out! I granted the former barn kitty his wish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9T1C6s6pg) and he was NOT pleased.

tabula rashah
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:48 PM
My family and I were just talking about you guys in Rising Sun, have the snow plows made it to you yet? My mom and I work for the school system and we're playing for closures Monday and Tuesday!!

Last time I checked the road (can't see it from the house) they had not plowed it yet. However, this morning I had to go out and get hay (fun, fun) and they were working on the big roads

Buffyblue
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:53 PM
I feel so guilty for mine!! They live out and I haven't seen them since Thurs, when the forecast was quite different. They're only in their medium weight blankets! Do you guys blanket by air temp or by wind chill? I'm always so torn!

My cats have been having a ball. All now indoor kitties but that doesn't stop them from wanting out! I granted the former barn kitty his wish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9T1C6s6pg) and he was NOT pleased.

Mine has been in a heavy Rambo with a Baker sheet underneath since earlier this week. I'm hoping the BO changed her into her heavy with the extended neck if she was out at all in this. (She has a stall.) I take into consideration the wind chill, but it's not really up to me unless I'm there - didn't make it out today!

Love your Butterball. Looks like he got some exercise today! I have a couple of "butterballs" who could use some exercise themselves! LOL. Cute video! My 2 new Meezer kittens saw their first snow today - but only though the windowpane in my bedroom! Ah.....winter.....:cry:

sid
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:55 PM
24" here in Catharpin and still coming down.

I keep mine out in storms this big due to roof load concerns. Though my barn/arena is a Morton and well-suited, you never know.

All have sheds, free water close. I do not grain in this kind of weather, but throw hay every 3 hrs. to keep their furnaces going. I don't blanket as they hunker down in sheds and are not clipped.

I've been through several of these over the years and I find that preparation is the key. So we spent the day yesterday prepping to make today as efficient as possible.

Hope the sun shines tomorrow so I can start digging out. Some of the drifts against my house are over 4 feet and I can barely get out of my door.

Watching my dog in this has been a blast though. She's loving tunneling through it.

eventgroupie2
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:59 PM
Lexington, VA We think about 22 inches, with drifts well over three feet. No electricity from 3am last night until almost 3pm this afternoon. Worse thing about that is not having water for the horses - well pump doesn't work without electricity, and we don't have a generator. I had filled extra buckets just in case last night, so all went fine. The four horses are fine in their stalls in blankies - probably will turn them out for a bit tomorrow and pray that Willie doesn't hurt himself!! Haven't seen one of my little old barn kitties, so I am afraid that I have lost her. Gumby (Corgi) is very confused- can't see over the paths we made through the snow to the barn - I think he feels like I do when driving in the construction lanes with the high concrete barriers :lol: Other barn kitty is snug on the couch. DH is doing his best with our tractor - doesn't have a blade, just a bucket, but he is working at clearing our 1/2 mile driveway to the main road.
Tomorrow is another day- hope everyone else in this is making out ok.

Zu Zu
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:18 PM
"Jingles" for all of you struggling with the snow ~ be careful !

Meredith Clark
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:16 PM
\They're only in their medium weight blankets! Do you guys blanket by air temp or by wind chill? I'm always so torn!

Juice is wearing his Med. weight but with his heavy neck cover attached. Jay is in a heavy weight with a neck cover.

I wasn't as worried about Juice because he's more dominate and will get to go in the shed, where sometimes Jay is forced to stand outside of it because Juice is a jerk!

I'm hoping I put enough hay out last night to last until tomorrow!

CoolMeadows
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:24 PM
My guys usually live out but were in overnight and had a ball playing (http://www.coolmeadows.net/Snow-.html) today. I know the ice will be bad later when the days melt it a bit and nights refreeze so they can have day turnout till then since it's dry and powdery.

Two of mine are in high neck heavyweights, one in a regular neck heavy, another's in a regular neck midweight, and two are in fullneck midweights with additional midweight liners. It depends on the horse...some are like fuzzy little furnaces and some just don't deal well with the cold.

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:36 PM
Awww, Butterscotch was giving it his all!
CoolMeadows..it does look like those horses had a blast! I see one chestnut who apparently didn't want to get snowy from rolling, LOL!
We *finally* started seeing some flakes at 8 pm tonight. And that's after the news bumped into every single thing on TV and the radio all day long every 15 minutes to tell us "Winter storm warning...any second now. The world will end. White stuff a mile deep. Go out and buy milk, bread and eggs right now. This is not a warning!"
First they said it would start at noon...then 3 pm....then 4 pm....then 5 pm. By 6 pm they were just lying saying stuff like, "Well it's snowing in CT, but nobody can see it." :lol:
So when I went down the barn for night check I finally saw snow! Good thing too because I was outside bleeding the fuel lines and cleaning the fuel filter on the tractor because the recent frigid weather we had I forgot to run it for a short while and the fuel got a little thick and had a little water in it. Makes for a pokey bogging down tractor.
There's nothing more country than baking holiday cookies and wondering why you keep smelling diesel. (Must have dipped the end of my ponytail in it, LOL)

KPF
Dec. 19, 2009, 10:27 PM
OK, so I'm starting to freak out a little at the thought of turning my old guys out tomorrow. :eek:

They're normally on day turnout. They were out yesterday and came in last night. I left them in all day today and I know with almost 2' of snow they'll be in for a LONG time if I don't let them out, this crap is gonna take a while to go away. And of course every day they're in will add to the craziness when they do get out. Ugh. I hate this. I'd pretty much decided I'd turn out in the AM but now I'm nervous about it. What if one of them rolls and can't get up? I've never had this much snow with horses at home.

I'm not worried at all about my small Welsh mare-- she's teeny but tough as nails and is only 11. But my TB and Appendix are in their 20's and not super sound to begin with.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for me? Should I just put some liquor in my coffee in the morning and let them rip? If they end up just standing at the gate looking miserable I'll let them back in after I muck. Can I just say again how much I hate this effin' white crap?!!!:mad:

Trevelyan96
Dec. 19, 2009, 10:35 PM

ah.... it was your genius that sent me to the depth of my basement, closets, garage, shed, and barn looking for DD's old sled. It never appeared, but I did learn that a muck buket will happily drag along down the hill to the compost pile. maybe I can hitch the up to the boys and let them do the heavy lifting.

BaroquePony
Dec. 19, 2009, 10:40 PM
There's nothing more country than baking holiday cookies and wondering why you keep smelling diesel. (Must have dipped the end of my ponytail in it, LOL)

:lol:

CoolMeadows
Dec. 19, 2009, 10:55 PM
KPF, is your snow wet or fluffy? Mine's really fluffy which is why I opted to boot them out today. There will be many days ahead when this stuff starts to ice for them to be locked up. Two of mine are older too, the first horse in my pix is 26 and the chestnut who refuses to get dirty (his owner recently retired him and this was his first time in snow!) is 19. They're usually turned out in two groups of three but I can't get to my other fields and they've all met each other before... plus I don't have any meanies right now.

Are yours shod? I worry about the sloppy snow building up in their feet but that didn't happen today since it's fluffy stuff. If you're worried, try putting a few piles of hay out and turn the quietest one out first, right at a hay pile.

allpurpose
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:00 PM
Anyone have any words of wisdom for me? Should I just put some liquor in my coffee in the morning and let them rip?

Great idea!!

They'll be fine! The snow is deep enough to give them some cushion should they roll and it has enough traction to actually help them up a bit. Plus, the oldsters are pretty smart about what they can handle and what they can't, so they will probably self-regulate their turnout activities to match the unusual weather.

ex-racer owner
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:05 PM
So we had about 8 inches at the barn today, which is just in the foothills of the Laurel Mountains. My BO texted my sister and I to let us know that the roads were pretty bad out that way and that she was excused from work today, as she is running out of vehicles (wrecked truck hauling horse last week in the feezing rain we had on Sunday). Then she asked if she could ride with us :lol: Had no problem getting there, but my horse slipped and fell while we were out on trail. I jumped off in fear of having 1000+ lbs land on me. The *good thing* was that the snow made it a soft landing for us both and I got back on and we continued. The horses seemed to enjoy the snow and the coming yearlings were so cute playing in the snow.

Now, leaving our barn was another story! The road leading up to the barn and houses up past our turnoff is very steep and bendy. Apparently, some service type truck tried to come up it and spun around and almost went completely off the road over the hillside. I had to try to get down it, and did I mention that that is the only way in and out and that it was getting icy? As it is more or less a back road, I had to try or wait and hope someone would come along and plow it again. So I decided to use the ditch I always try to AVOID and put the left side of my vehicle in it to hopefully avoid sliding in the other truck or going over the hillside. I managed to execute my plan without damage to anyone or anything, but boy, were my hands shaking afterward! I did have a few close calls with the other hillside right next to the ditch and the back end of my Envoy started to fish tale right next to the disabled truck. I did continue about my day as planned, just went slower on the turnpike than I otherwise would drive.

So far I haven't heard of any power outages in my area, just maybe some vehicle accidents. I hope all my fellow COTHers are safe and their horses comfortable!

Meredith Clark
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:06 PM
OK, so I'm starting to freak out a little at the thought of turning my old guys out tomorrow. :eek:

I've always found that if you just let them in it right away (either while it's snowing or right after it stops) they handle it better than if they've been cooped up for days and you turn out a bunch of crazies in wet slick conditions.

I didn't really have the option this time as I only have a run in shed but I'm hoping the fact that they were in it the whole time made them get used to it and not be shell shocked by it all.

yellow-horse
Dec. 20, 2009, 12:04 AM
My old horse will go out everyday, the other 2 live in a shed and stay out. I found after years of livng in NJ, that if you don't turn them out to rough up and pouind down the paddock/pasture a bit that after a few days of thaw/freeze its a skating rink. They will make trails in the snow that will have some traction and give them a place to walk around.
The old horse has already made her tramped down walking trail and her rolling spot in the paddock.

Meredith Clark
Dec. 20, 2009, 12:11 AM
Do you guys use Safe Paw around the barn?

Is it safe to use on any really ice parts in the paddocks or not?

I looked on their web page but it doesn't mention anything about horses.

LexInVA
Dec. 20, 2009, 12:32 AM
*throws a snowball at Meredith Clark*

You'll be fine if you don't use too much of it. Just put it where it's really needed so you can get around without slipping and leave the rest to the elements.

secretariat
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:57 AM
My guys love the snow if it's not too deep; we only got about 3" here and it melted down to about an inch this morning. Temperature is near or above freezing and it's going to be a mud pit. As you can see from this video from last winter - these guys were having a hoot (and I was impressed at their sure footedness!!). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCQCkVufpRw

Only issue I have with horses outside in snow is if their skin gets wet. Most horses have enough oil/hair that it's not a problem (I've seen Mouse with 6" of snow on his back and he was happy as a clam). Wet skin = high heat loss rates = potential problems. Watch out for shivering.

Echoing an earlier post, I'd like to express my appreciation for the nurses, policeman, road crews, electric repair guys, and all of the other people who go to work in this stuff so that the rest of us can be safe and (relatively) warm

KPF
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:07 AM
I gathered my courage and turned out a couple of hours ago. They're fine so far... getting ready to head back up there and throw some more hay out. Old guys both rolled repeatedly and got up just fine. My old TB (25ish) was actually cantering around in it for a few minutes. :D

Ours is powdery and they're all barefoot, thank God.

I'm going to leave them out for a bit and bring them in earlier than normal this afternoon.

Thanks for the reassurances, I needed them!:D I know it is better to get it over with now than wait till they've been cooped up for days and are crazy... snow will be here a WHILE before it melts. Looks like Fri. is supposed to be 50's and rain so hopefully that'll do it, of course the resulting mud is going to be insanity.:mad:

flyingchange
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:19 AM
We have at least two feet here in Culpeper County. I have two old geezers - an 18 year old TB mare and a 25 year old TB/Irish gelding, plus a donkey. They live out and they are all fine. The mare galloped through it this morning when she came up for morning feed. It was actually a lovely moment - wish I had caught it on video.

A few other horses in my, ahem, collection, are on full board 40 minutes away. THEY are in their stalls - one of them really loves to be an ass in these conditions, rendering his Mommy lots of heartache and vet bills. So HE is in a stall, damnit, until it's nice or I am there to drug the &*^% out of him before he goes out in the elements.

Husband loves to drive around in this crap. So yes, we were two of those dummies driving around in the storm yesterday. What fun is a snow day without a fridge stocked full with beer?

Trying not to be bored out of my gourd in this. Need to find good, racy, trashy novel to occupy me for the day. Suggestions are welcome! Doesn't really have to be trash or racy. Just GOOD! :)

TimelyImpulse
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:35 AM
Anyone else have anything collapse from the snow? My tack shed, a metal 10X14, has one side of the roof collapsed halfway in. Luckily, the support beam only twisted in and down, didn't completely break, or it would have been worse.

Digging out is fun! Ha. Snow is one reason I left Michigan and moved to Virginia, but if this only happens once every 5 years or so, oh well.

The horses spent the night in, but are happy to be out today.

mkevent
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:36 AM
FWIW, I never lock my guys in their stalls unless the wind/rain/snow is literally coming in sideways and into the stall. In the winter, I do lock them in their paddocks at night with access to their stalls.

My one homebred is coming 9, the rest are 20-22 years old. Even in this weather, they're locked out of their stalls until the evening. I think most horses have a pretty strong sense of self preservation. It does seem to me that they do regulate their exercise and are quite wise about where they walk, roll, run, etc. Maybe if they were in a large herd they would run around more because the herd mentality kicks in-but if they're alone or in small groups, they seem to be pretty sensible about their safety and the footing.

As far as the question about blanketing-I go by wind chill and temp, but also keep in consideration if it's cloudy or sunny-that seems to make a difference on how warm they get if they are blanketed.

mkevent
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:42 AM
Our tractor decided it didn't feel like working today so I had to dig a series of hobbit trails to the barn, the hay shed, the manure pile and the house!!

Currently I'm on here until I garner the strength to go back out and clean the stalls!

We got 2' of snow here-if you own a farm, do you ever like snow? It just seems to add another layer of work to everything. And due to all the drifting, it's not even picturesque(sp?)-the drifts look all distorted like something from Dr. Suess!

MistyBlue
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:56 AM
ah.... it was your genius that sent me to the depth of my basement, closets, garage, shed, and barn looking for DD's old sled. It never appeared, but I did learn that a muck buket will happily drag along down the hill to the compost pile. maybe I can hitch the up to the boys and let them do the heavy lifting.
Do you have those big rubbermaid type totes/bins? Or a garbage can lid? Tie a rope to one of those (or a piece of plywood or even a piece of a sturdy large cardboard box) and put your muck bucket on there. Anything flat and smooth with support itself on snow I think.

TimelyImpulse...no thank goodness nothing has collapsed from the snow. But everything here is built to a high level of snow load capacity. We went 50% of the standard for my region, just in case. And thankfully it's light fluffy stuff.

mkevent...that stinks about your tractor. Mine also started running wonky the day before yesterday...of course with a snowstorm coming. Required some tweaking here and there but I had it running yesterday for 40 minutes purring along. (watch, I just jinxed myself and it'll screw up when I start clearing snow with it)
I do like snowfalls, even having a farm. For some odd unknown reason any snow accumulations of over an inch or so bothers the heck out of my husband. He seems to think it's "so much extra work, what a pain in the butt!" :confused: I'm trying to figure out the extra work part...I do *all* the snow removal and vehicle cleaning. Maybe it's tiring watching your spouse? :winkgrin: :lol:

KPF
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:57 AM
Just got back from my long trek up the hill to throw more hay and check on the oldsters. They're fine, Appendix has just been rolling and eating hay with his pony and old TB is galloping around, bucking, farting, rearing and having himself a good old time (he's out by himself). I'll leave them be for a couple more hours and turn them back in. At least I know the TB has done a good job stretching those legs!:lol:

Yes, I loathe snow. These are the times I pine for my old condo and a horse that was on full board. It is a full time job just to live here in these conditions. Thank the good Lord we still have power-- that would escalate the suckiness to a whole new level.

I don't worry about our barns collapsing, we built them with heavy duty loads because our county required them on our house, and they were all built within the last 3 years. So my beasts are definitely safe inside.

We bought a new 4wd John Deere tractor and it was delivered on Friday... that was perfect timing. It came with a blade (plus loader) and we've plowed the farm roads, unstuck my Jeep (after I drove up to the barn and got stuck coming back) and pulled the neighbor's flatbed tow truck out of a ditch and pulled him the 1.5 mi. home this morning. Poor guy had been out towing for 36 hrs. straight.

Is it spring yet????

Meredith Clark
Dec. 20, 2009, 11:57 AM
*throws a snowball at Meredith Clark*

*Catches snowball from Lex and eats it!*

yes.. as it has become blatantly obvious I am a TOTAL worrywart and having my horses 2 whole miles away in a self-care paddock with no stalls to put them in has almost made me go off the edge.

Also not helpful is the fact that Meredith Clark lives in an apartment with no Mr. Meredith Clark and unfortunately no alcoholic beverages this weekend! I had nothing else to do but make cookies and worry! :lol:

Roads are clear now, time to go dig my ponies out of the snow.

BelladonnaLily
Dec. 20, 2009, 12:32 PM
Mine all stayed out during the storm and did fine. I was only worried about my old mare. Her knee doesn't bend well anymore, so hubby made some paths for her early yesterday morning. The youngsters go whereever, she sticks carefully to the path. I worried about the little ponies, but Canada pony LOVES this. He has been galloping around bucking and having a great time. He must think he's home again!

It's a beautiful snow, but I hope this is it for the winter. One nice snow and I'm done and ready to open the pool again :yes:

asterix
Dec. 20, 2009, 06:44 PM
Just went out to the barn -- amazing the number of idiots who can wreck themselves even on well-plowed roads (top honors to a pickup truck on its side, pointing backwards, on a highway that was completely clean today).

Ponies were completely fine, and enthusiastically participated in a romp through the fields -- I had never ridden in snow this deep and it felt like we were cantering on pillows. Very cool!! They weathered the storm without any ill effect that I could discern -- despite the convictions of my city neighbors, who were all horrified to learn I had "just left them out there" yesterday. :)

fivehorses
Dec. 20, 2009, 08:08 PM
and just think, winter hasn't even started! I think we are in for one heck of a winter based on late fall weather~

t. nason
Dec. 20, 2009, 08:52 PM
Being from the deep south I have never dealt with much snow. The dogs were funny since the snow was taller than them. Horses in front paddock just stood around and ate their hay. However the other ones ran around a little and had fun. The OTTB was the one that wanted to play. He was the only one that dug in the snow to find the grass. While the others watched. The stall cleaning is a nightmare since we couldn't get to the manure pile. Wonder how long before all this snow is gone!! I hate SNOW!!

lolalola
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:06 PM
Heard the Northeast/mid-Atlantic will have another big storm by Christmas Eve, but may be more rain than snow.

Mali
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:09 PM
Heard the Northeast/mid-Atlantic will have another big storm by Christmas Eve, but may be more rain than snow.

I had hubby do some EXTRA plowing - just in case!

Meredith Clark
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:49 PM

nooooooooooooo :mad:

Why isn't the weather listening to me when I say keep it just below freezing conditions with no participation :no:

My barn is never going to be able to be delivered in all this snow and mud :cry:

LexInVA
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
My barn is never going to be able to be delivered in all this snow and mud :cry:

Silly Clarkiepoo, that's what helicopters are for. :D

Meredith Clark
Dec. 20, 2009, 11:10 PM
Silly Clarkiepoo, that's what helicopters are for. :D

Clarkiepoo ? Is that a nick name or the type of adorable dog pictured in your profile?

LexInVA
Dec. 21, 2009, 11:16 AM
Clarkiepoo ? Is that a nick name or the type of adorable dog pictured in your profile?

Clarkiepoo is a silly nickname for you but I couldn't figure anything out with Meredith other than Mere The Bear and I'm not sure that's really very cute. The particular dog in my profile would be a Havanese named Bree. She's got so much personality, it's scary.

Meredith Clark
Dec. 21, 2009, 11:30 AM
Clarkiepoo is a silly nickname for you but I couldn't figure anything out with Meredith other than Mere The Bear and I'm not sure that's really very cute. The particular dog in my profile would be a Havanese named Bree. She's got so much personality, it's scary.

Havanese... had to google them! Really cute.

MereBear is a common pet name for me, but more in homage to CareBear than actually implying I look or act like a Bear! I'll take Clarkiepoo though, makes me sound like a cute and expensive designer breed puppy!

Meredith Clark
Dec. 21, 2009, 11:31 AM
Oh and back to the winter storm... Just checked the weather for Elkton and it's supposed to rain on Christmas... yuck!