PDA

View Full Version : My tough little TB mare

vineyridge
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:15 AM
Just have to brag.

I got a TB mare who had had 64 starts, per JC, back in the spring. She had already been off the track for almost two years, and hasn't taken a lame step except from abscesses that I know of.

But, since I'm finally getting around to putting her into real work and she needed her annual vet visit anyway, I asked the vet to do the equivalent of a PPE on her.

I am now happier than I ever thought I could be. After all those races, she has the joints of an unraced five year old. No arthritis, no chips, no spurs, perfect spacing between all the bones in all her joints, no navicular changes, nothing. She is PERFECT at the age of nine +. And how often does THAT happen?

I have an iron TB mare who will be able to carry me foxhunting for the next ten years or so if she is treated well. :D

Now the question is--even though she was slow at flat racing at short distances, should I consider breeding her for a chaser?

barnchick
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:38 AM
Share her pedigree, her race name if possible. It may be a family to keep an eye on.

vineyridge
Dec. 19, 2009, 01:34 AM
Her name is Marcy's Hope.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/marcys+hope

Equilibrium
Dec. 19, 2009, 02:06 AM
Maybe she just wasn't trained to go long. And maybe being slow at 6furlongs equates to "this filly can't possibly go long" by trainer. Who knows, but she has enough distance horses in her pedigree.

I like the 3yo hurdle races over here which are at the end of the season. You see some surprising pedigrees and you see horses that started out at short distances who weren't much good. Going slow and steady through a race with jumps is sometimes just what they need.

The first couple of times I galloped NH horses I thought people were mad. Steady 2 and 3 mile gallops every day. But they'd been conditioned that way and it was me who was like " can we stop now." Soon enough all I wanted to ride were big NH buses!

Good luck in whatever she does!

Terri

JER
Dec. 19, 2009, 03:18 AM
Nice pedigree. (I loved Little Current and wished he'd made it to the Arc.)

But how does one breed for a chaser in the US?

iloverocky
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:11 AM
Congrats on finding a keeper, Viney.

vineyridge
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:24 AM
JER, she's the mare that I would like to send to Northern Spur or Roanoke if I really were going to breed her. She's proved to be fertile and a good mother.

EventerAJ
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:10 PM
Lear Fan/Roberto says "chaser" to me!

Have a successful, retired chaser in the field right now, by Roberto. Raced in pretty top company (Saratoga, etc). Tough as nails horse.

Retraining a Lear Fan grandson (OTTB) right now, enjoys jumping and possibly could've been a chaser had I not snatched him to event first. ;)

danceronice
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:23 PM
Chateaugay? That's a name I don't see often. And she should go long.

I think with a lot of American horses, so many are only ever asked to go 6f or shorter, they don't ever get a chance to show they can go farther. I just picked up a sound, sane seven-year-old with 64 starts who, as far as I can see on equibase has never been asked to race farther than 7 furlongs but whose trainer said liked turf best and would 'gallop all day' if you asked. My last horse had a similar issue before retiring with an injury at three--always asked to sprint, temperamentally and physically better when asked for slower longer runs. I bought New Guy as a foxhunting prospect. Looking at your mare, since she vetted clean, seems sound, and is bred to go long, if she likes jumping and is built nicely (no pictures? ;) )I'd say she would be a great one to breed for chasing, to the right stallion, of course!

SEPowell
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:34 PM
She sounds very cool and of course you should breed her for steeplechasing! Do you have any pictures of her?

Forego
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:42 PM
I loved her father,I visited him when he was at Gainesway[I think he is in Turkey now],and he was so nice.
He was a doll,very personable,and he was one of the horses you just wanted to get on and ride!
I also love that Little Current is in her pedigree,he is one of my all time favorites.
Do you have any pictures?

vineyridge
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:58 PM
I shouldn't keep going on, but I think she has two Rasmussen Factors in her mares. She's got a double to Rough Shod, and a triple to Banquet Bell. The Banquet Bell is sex balanced and top and bottom because she has the full siblings, Chateaugay and Primonetta and their half sibling, Luiana. Rough Shod is only on top and through stallions, so I'm not certain that qualifies. She also has my personal obsession, which is all three of the TB foundation sirelines on the first page (+ 6th generation sirelines for mares in the fifth.)

I have no pictures, because I'm a lousy photographer and keep forgetting, but the vet did say that she has one of the best shoulders he's seen. He used to be a racetrack vet in Oklahoma, so he should have seen plenty.

foxhavenfarm
Dec. 19, 2009, 01:06 PM
Viney, we have one like that as well. Sierra Little (http://www.pedigreequery.com/sierra+little) raced 35 times and is the soundest with the cleanest legs of any horse we have ever gotten off the track.

Some of them are just built to last!:winkgrin:

On the Farm
Dec. 19, 2009, 03:16 PM
First, I'm glad this mare has a good home.

BUT, before any "if only this or that had been done" continues, realize that this mare ran ten races at a mile or longer and the only time she didn't get hammered by double digit lengths was when she started at her lowest claiming tag ($3500.) Not that she didn't get beat double digits alot of times going short, I just think this mare was slow no matter what distance she ran. Some are just born that way.

Again, not knocking the fact that she has a good home, just stating what the charts present.

vineyridge
Dec. 19, 2009, 03:41 PM
Maybe her slows and her lack of mental determination to win are what kept her joints in such good shape. :)

I've never been able to figure out why they kept trying with her. She could never have paid her way. Her last trainer is "supposed" to have said that Marcy would just be beginning to run when the race was over. Or maybe all the horses were beginning to come back to her. :) I've actually considered seeing how she would do as an endurance horse. :yes:

Thanks for checking her record.

TimelyImpulse
Dec. 19, 2009, 04:54 PM
I shouldn't keep going on, but I think she has two Rasmussen Factors in her mares. .

I don't know a lot about TB pedigrees and how they're evaluated, but would really like to learn more. Would you explain what having a Rasmussen Factor means?

DickHertz
Dec. 19, 2009, 06:44 PM
In general, the fast hard-trying horses, often become the lamest. Slow pokes don't exert as much tension on their joints. Did that horse ever run on the grass?

beanie&boomer
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:10 PM
What about Cetewayo or Boy Done Good (aka Salute the Truth)??

farmgirl88
Dec. 20, 2009, 12:06 PM
Just have to brag.

I got a TB mare who had had 64 starts, per JC, back in the spring. She had already been off the track for almost two years, and hasn't taken a lame step except from abscesses that I know of.

But, since I'm finally getting around to putting her into real work and she needed her annual vet visit anyway, I asked the vet to do the equivalent of a PPE on her.

I am now happier than I ever thought I could be. After all those races, she has the joints of an unraced five year old. No arthritis, no chips, no spurs, perfect spacing between all the bones in all her joints, no navicular changes, nothing. She is PERFECT at the age of nine +. And how often does THAT happen?

I have an iron TB mare who will be able to carry me foxhunting for the next ten years or so if she is treated well. :D

Now the question is--even though she was slow at flat racing at short distances, should I consider breeding her for a chaser?

My guy had the same story!!! Retired sound, sound, sound with no issues. the vets who did his PPE couldn't believe they couldnt find a thing wrong, not a lump or a bump or anything. My guy is by Gulch and out of a mare by Storm Bird and out of Cadette Stevens.

He is bred the same line as Thunder Gulch> by Gulch and out of a Storm Bird mare.

MintHillFarm
Dec. 21, 2009, 12:43 PM
The mare I got this fall is turning 9 and ran her last races in June, this year.

She started 59 times, won 4 races, was placed 10 times and ran third 10 times. She raced from coast to coast and Canada as well. At this time she is feeling better than when I first brought her home. Her feet and ankles were bothering her, but she is much more comfortable now. I don't think her x-rays would be as clean as some mentioned, unfortunatley.

My mare is by Jazzing Around (by Stop the Music) and out of a Staff Writer (Northern Dancer) mare. I love her dispostion, she is a sweetie. We'll see come spring how she is feeling and go from there....

EquineRacers
Dec. 21, 2009, 08:57 PM
They always say, if a horse makes it to a higher age of racing, they have good bones! LOL With that said, your horses probably had a really good owner/trainer who took really good care of him.

SEPowell
Dec. 21, 2009, 10:07 PM
Does winning long on the flat (under 2 miles) correlate in any way to winning timber races (3 to 6 miles over timber)?