PDA

View Full Version : Using hair dye on grey tail.

ddmarie
Dec. 18, 2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I have a dapple grey mare with black mane and black/white tail. The bottom of her tail is stained and I would like to dye it black like her mane. Has any of you ever done this and if so what did you use ? Thanks.

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 18, 2009, 04:26 PM
When Callie got old and started getting a little grey hair in her black mane I used what we called "just for mares" aka "just for men" and it only stayed in a few minutes and no problems washing it out and no itching.

She had no allergies to the chemicals and was very vain about not looking her age (24).

ddmarie
Dec. 18, 2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks. I guess I'll have to wrap her tail with the dye in it. She would look pretty funny with tail marks on her body. I saw a post on here a long time ago and someone even posted a picture of their grey horse. They dyed the tail and it looked so nice. I want to do it this spring when we start showing I just wasn,t sure what product to use. I,ll try "Just for Mares" . LOL.

Foxhall
Dec. 18, 2009, 06:37 PM
Just a slight warning. One of the guys at my barn is a salon owner and was telling me and others at a barn party a few weeks ago about how when you dye hair, the dye makes the hair more porous and color of other kinds (namely red georgia clay) stain the hair which makes it even harder to get out than it normally would be. My instructor dyed her upper level grey horse's tail a few years ago and although it is usually a strikingly white, after relocating to georgia rich in red clay soil, the staining is proving very very hard to get out. Just a warning I haven't had any first hand experience though :)

event1
Dec. 18, 2009, 08:13 PM
A friend of mine that I see in the winter in New Orleans dyes her bay horses tail black-she showed me how to do it and now I have done all of mine. I use whatever kind of dye-the blackest black (the one with the person of Asian descent on the box) and it comes out beautiful, shiney and soft. At first I was nervous about doing it but not anymore. I have only done black though-to get out the reddish from the sun. After you mix up the bottle and squirt/rub it on the tail, I take a walmart bag and wrap the tail up in it and tie the two ends together so if the horse swishes their tail-the color doesn't get on their bodies. The bottle you mix it in has a point tip on the end and you wear gloves-so I am sure you could do a little at a time and just where you want it. I would just keep it separate from the white when you are washing it out! Good luck!

wolfmare
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:19 AM
I did try dying my gray guys tail, which was heavily stained that I couldn't get out...I used the cheap dye in black, and it had a purple tinge... and then it "wore out" and left the tail even yellower. I did like the more balanced look of black mane and tail that it gave him.... but was not pleased with some of the results after a bit of time.
Maybe it was just a cheap dye? I had got some from my hair person, that when mixed didn't add color at all :(
Now I look at it and wonder what to do!
Would "Just for geldings" work for him do you think?
He is just so vain, you see.

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:26 AM
I did try dying my gray guys tail, which was heavily stained that I couldn't get out...I used the cheap dye in black, and it had a purple tinge... and then it "wore out" and left the tail even yellower. I did like the more balanced look of black mane and tail that it gave him.... but was not pleased with some of the results after a bit of time.
Maybe it was just a cheap dye? I had got some from my hair person, that when mixed didn't add color at all :(
Now I look at it and wonder what to do!
Would "Just for geldings" work for him do you think?
He is just so vain, you see.

Yes he doesn't want even that "hint of grey" to show maturity.:lol:
On a tail where no skin is involved, I'd use something like Preference, because he's worth it. Up where the tail bone and skin are, and on the mane, I think a fast acting dye is better though not as pretty. I wonder if that
bluing dye for grey hair would make a white tail snowy white? When I blanket my horse, the top of his tail gets so white while the dirt gathers at the bottom of the tail.

DressageCB
Dec. 19, 2009, 10:04 AM
I board at the same barn and know that the hair stylist mentioned has dyed a 4* level horses tail and this horse had sensitive skin so they put a garbage bag over the tail while the dye set it. That way the horses skin didn't get agitated.

They also used salon quality hair dye so it lasted, and looked great.

Hampton Bay
Dec. 19, 2009, 01:51 PM
I would go to Sally's beauty supply and get the decent stuff rather than just using the cheaper dyes. It works better and lasts longer.

EqTrainer
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:18 PM
Please, do talk to your hairdresser. The difference in salon quality color and boxed color is significant. And.. if I was seriously going to do this.. I'd do it w/Redken shades - either completely or do over it w/clear and/or more black. Less damaging and oh la la, what a shine!