PDA

View Full Version : Ford Diesel Recall with FIRE HAZARD IN UNATTENDED VEHICLES

flbay
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:35 PM
This info is from this month's issue of Consumer reports. I am copying the info directly from the magazine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford has recalled a number of its vehicles due to fire danger related to a faulty cruise control.

This recall includes 1993-97 and 1999-2003 Ford F-super duty diesels. (among other models)

NHTSA says warning signs that the problem is imminent include cruise control that stops working or cannot be activated, brake lights that stop working, ABS warning lights illuminating on the dashboard or not being able to get a vehicle out of park.

Owners are warned not to park their vehicles in garages or near homes (or near barns) until repairs are made due to fire hazard even when the vehicle is not in use/turned off or unattended.

Contact Ford for an appointment immediately if your vehicle has been recalled.

Sorry if this is a repeat post. I cannot find any similar info on the boards by searching. Mods, if possible, please cross post.

RAyers
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:45 PM
It is a simple fix. They replace a wire harness. It took less than an hour at my dealer.

Reed

wildlifer
Dec. 18, 2009, 03:16 PM
This is the same recall that has been going on for years with the Ford trucks. They originally thought the diesels were exempt, but it turns out not. Which I have to say is rather humourous -- mine is a 2001, which means it's been sitting around for 8 years and now all of a sudden it is a hugely pressing issue to get this replaced? I guess they had one catch fire and now are wanting to cover their liability. Fortunately, it is a very easy fix...

mtk9122
Dec. 18, 2009, 04:20 PM
We received letters about this from Ford, took our trucks to dealers and as Reed said, quick fix and we were done. Parked the truck right back by the barn where it had been parked.

jn4jenny
Dec. 18, 2009, 06:32 PM
Do get it fixed, though. There was someone on another horse forum I frequent who had her Ford light up the sky in the Tractor Supply parking lot. Thank goodness she wasn't IN it.

ShayDarra
Dec. 21, 2009, 11:19 PM
Took less than 5 minutes for the dealer to replace the wiring harness on my '00 F250. Not a big deal. But good to get it done.

SD