PDA

View Full Version : Ford Recall with FIRE RISK IN UNATTENDED VEHICLES

flbay
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:37 AM
This info is from this month's issue of Consumer reports. I am copying the info directly from the magazine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford has recalled a number of its vehicles due to fire danger related to a faulty cruise control.

This recall includes 1993-97 and 1999-2003 Ford F-super duty diesels.

NHTSA says warning signs that the problem is imminent include cruise control that stops working or cannot be activated, brake lights that stop working, ABS warning lights illuminating on the dashboard or not being able to get a vehicle out of park.

Owners are warned not to park their vehicles in garages or near homes (or near barns) until repairs are made due to fire hazard even when the vehicle is not in use/turned off or unattended.

Contact Ford for an appointment immediately if your vehicle has been recalled.

Sorry if this is a repeat post. I cannot find any similar info on the boards by searching. Mods, if possible, please cross post.

mroades
Dec. 18, 2009, 12:22 PM
My truck has 350k miles on it, am I crazy to think if it was gonna have a problem with this thing, it already would have? I am terrified to let a stealership touch my truck.

cssutton
Dec. 18, 2009, 05:44 PM
Ford had this problem back in the 2003 or 5 period.

I had a '99 that was affected.

It is the sensor in the brakes that turns off the cruise control when you apply pressure to the brake pedal.

All you have to do is disconnect the wire to that sensor and do without cruise control.

If you want cruise control, it is a free 5 minute change of the pressure switch.

I assume the present problem is the same.

CSSJR

camohn
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:16 PM
I have to get the truck checked. I got the notice. I *DID* however lose my 1999 Explorer to such a fire. While I was sitting in it............I now own a Subaru..............
(My truck is an F350 diesel also a 1999 model...)

pintopiaffe
Dec. 18, 2009, 09:09 PM
Cahmon! :eek:

I'm glad it's only the superduty diesels. I'm just about ready to get the '96 F150 back on the road. Decided to suck it up & fix the power steering & buy tires, since the rest of it is all 'new'. :uhoh: :sigh:

Tangerine Farmer
Dec. 18, 2009, 10:26 PM
Not just the super duty's. Both myself and husband had to bring the trucks in. Two truck family. It is a pain in the neck to get to the dealership, though it's a quick procedure.

NRB
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:02 PM
Pffffttt, took the truck in after getting the notice in the mail. Dealership did the repair and found $1200 worth of work that needed to be done. (axle seals) I'd get a Chevy or GMC if I won the lottery. But til then I'll keep paying the repair bills and hope the Ford doesn't drop dead on the road whilst attached to the trailer.

camohn
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=pintopiaffe;4564412]Cahmon! :eek:
A-yup....that is how I felt! I smelled something funny (faint odor of burning plastic) and was looking around trying to figure out if it was *me* or the smell was coming from elsewhere. While I pondered that thought I started to see smoke curling up and said to self: eekkkkkkk....it IS me!! And of course got the h*&% out of the vehicle and called the fire department. As the local FD is predominantly Amish (this was this spring in May and it was plowing season) it took quite a while for the fire truck to arrive. By then it was fully engulfed and all that was left was a lump o charcoal that a towtruck (flatbed) hauled away to the insurance lot. My hubby had really wanted me to get a new car before this. I had said I will get a new one when it DIES. I was kinda thinking a more peaceful "death by transmission" or something. So....after the lump o coal was hauled away I called the hubby at work and told him "well...you know how I said I would get a new car when it dies............well it is time to shop for a new car now!" I called the insurance company and proceeded on to work (off farm job) now driving the farm truck. The call to the insurance company was interesting too.The first questions were *not* please desribe what happened to the vehicle as I expected.
Question 1) Have you been laid off from you job recently?
Question 2) Have you recently filed for bankruptcy?
Me: No, no and I see where this is going. I did *not* torch my car for the insurance money. I imagine the payout on a 10 YO car is not very good, I just put a new catalytic converter in it 3 weeks ago for many dollars and I would *not* choose to torch the thing while I was *IN* it if I DID have any such thoughts!!

cllane1
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:55 PM
We got this notice for our 01 F350, and I guess we need to take it in. I don't love the thought of it bursting into flames!

gdolapp
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:19 AM
My ford ranger is part of this recall. I haven't taken it in yet
as it has just turned 489,000 original miles on it.

fivehorses
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:30 AM
95 explorer is also part of the recall

imaginique
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:56 AM
A friend of mine was driving her Ford Explorer when it began to smoke. She pulled off the road and got out and called the fire department but her car was toast. I had my pickup fixed a few weeks ago. It only took a few minutes and was free.

Carrera
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:04 PM
Yikes! I just got this recall in the mail for my Explorer! In it goes a.s.a.p! MIne is a 2004

Flash44
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:43 PM
If your vehicle was recalled due to this problem, get it fixed asap. There vehicles that catch on fire due to this problem go up in flames very very quickly due to all the flammable liquids in the engine. It is not something to mess around with, and the engine can catch on fire even if the vehicle is not running, which is why it should not be parked in a garage on near a building.

CatOnLap
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:57 PM
weeeellll- I had an F150 that had a fire in the column for exactly the same reason- cruise control/brake switch- but it was a 1990 and the fire happened in 1996. Ended up replacing the entire column from a wrecker and forever more had a different door and ignition key as a result. Wrecker said that wasn't an uncommon problem back then...

ToiRider
Dec. 19, 2009, 01:12 PM
This problem has been going on for years in Fords. IMO, Ford is just working its way through the models, recalling them as they can afford to do it and have the Dealers with time to do it. When I first heard about this, my Ford Explorer Sport 2001 was not on the list. However, I kept checking this issue, and my Ford was eventually recalled. However, I think it took about 3 years after I heard about it for Ford to recall my model.

I drove by a Ford Explorer that was fully engulfed in flame. The driver and passenger were just standing by the side of the road, looking shocked. I assumed that this issue caused the fire. When this problem first came to light, there were a lot of stories of people's trucks catching fire in their attached garage at night, and the house burning down. The vehicle does NOT have to be running in order for a fire to occur.

cssutton
Dec. 19, 2009, 02:45 PM
Vehicles later than 2003 are not affected, the best I can learn.

http://trucks.about.com/od/carsafety/a/ford_cruise.htm

CSSJR

TripleRipple
Dec. 19, 2009, 03:15 PM
I just had dh call the local dealership re this issue, and heard the same as what cssutton just said. Dealership claimed that after '03, they changed the system so this won't happen, thus there shouldn't be any further need for recalls past '03. So that is their position, at this point.

Nonetheless, dh asked and the guy told him how he could disconnect the sensor wire himself. And I had dh go out and do the deed. Might be overkill, but we never use cruise control.

I asked dh if this might in any way affect our tow haul, etc, and he said he forgot to ask. Don't think so, but I'm gonna have him call back to make sure we didn't create any additional problem!

Bluey
Dec. 19, 2009, 04:22 PM
Guess I am ok then, mine are a 1990 and a 2007 and have worked fine all these years, no problems with them.:yes:

TripleRipple
Dec. 19, 2009, 04:58 PM
We also have a 96 Ford bought used and the cruise control doesn't work - now he is assuming that the old guy that owned it probably disconnected it.

Also have an ancient 1976, and I am not even sure it has a cruise control in the first place. Our Fords don't tend to die on their own up here, they have to be killed:)

cssutton
Dec. 19, 2009, 06:19 PM
I just had dh call the local dealership re this issue, and heard the same as what cssutton just said. Dealership claimed that after '03, they changed the system so this won't happen, thus there shouldn't be any further need for recalls past '03. So that is their position, at this point.

Nonetheless, dh asked and the guy told him how he could disconnect the sensor wire himself. And I had dh go out and do the deed. Might be overkill, but we never use cruise control.

I asked dh if this might in any way affect our tow haul, etc, and he said he forgot to ask. Don't think so, but I'm gonna have him call back to make sure we didn't create any additional problem!

I don't know how the tow mode works on your model, but on my 2008 F350, tow mode will down shift going down hill all by itself if you are in cruise control.

If not are not in cruise control, you have to use the brake once or twice for tow mode to down shift.

That should be the only difference, but again different model different engine different behavior.

CSSJR

TripleRipple
Dec. 19, 2009, 09:37 PM
I don't know how the tow mode works on your model, but on my 2008 F350, tow mode will down shift going down hill all by itself if you are in cruise control.

If not are not in cruise control, you have to use the brake once or twice for tow mode to down shift.

That should be the only difference, but again different model different engine different behavior.

CSSJR

Thanks - since I don't use the cruise control, I didn't know how the tow haul worked in that regard. I do like the tow feature a lot - something that our old truck didn't have.

It sounds like we should still be able to use the tow feature the same as we would normally without the cruise, but will verify it to be sure.

saje
Dec. 19, 2009, 10:08 PM
There's something to be said then for getting the ultra base model :D 2003 F-250 diesel, manual shift, no cruise, no power windows. 110k and doin' fine :)