PDA

View Full Version : Grid Flooring Systems

Daydream Believer
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:03 AM
Does anyone have these in their stall floors? Our floors are dirt and several have gotten quite dug up in the middle the last few years so that we are going to have to repack them this winter. I was researching the grids and shocked to find that they are more expensive than mats! One I found was over $500 for a 10x12 stall.

Does anyone know of a cost effective source of grids or some useful alternative? No way can I afford that for 20 stalls!

Thanks!

Daydream Believer
Dec. 18, 2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks! If you get a chance, I'd love to know what brand you used. :-)

Plumcreek
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:19 PM
You can make stall mats into grids simply by drilling holes in them. I use a 3/4" flat drill bit and drill a 4' circle in the center and do the back corners for mares, all on 6" centers. This will keep the urine away from the seams and help keep the mats tight. To make this work, you definately need drainage underneath - compacted sharp 1/2 to 3/4 inch rock. Not round rock or gravel, you will get rolling and a mess of uneven mats. I would just leave the holes in your stalls and fill with the sharp rock, rent a power tamper and tamp flat (or invest labor and roll the rock filled wheelbarrow over it repeatedly) . The rock base should be flat and rigid before mats are laid. Brush concrete sand into the mat holes and you are good to go. This is by far the easiest to procure and least expensive drainable stall flooring I know of.

If you still want the actual grid products, look carefully at the size of each section and how securely they lock together.

shawneeAcres
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:43 PM
When we built our new barn, I went with interlocking mats. Still not cheap, about $280 per stall but they work better than the mats that just lay next to each other

goodhors
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:55 PM
Saw those grassy pavers in action at the Cape Hattaras Lighthouse this fall. Used to stabilize the sandy ground, and keep the grass roots protected. Looked nice, still kind of visible at this time. Never thought of using them in stalls.

I am looking at the porus pavers, instead of doing sidewalks. First saw them in Vermont in the parking area of the Fish Hatchery. I thought them very lovely, allowing water runoff from the mountain area to percolate into the soil, not wash the parking lot trash into drainage ditches.

Anyway, I thought the porus pavers would allow good drainage, protect the grass roots in the holes, let you mow right over them. Still let you have good footing for mud season.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/porous_concrete_pavers/examples_of_porous_pavers.htm

Vermont lots looked much nicer, probably older and more established grasses there. Anyway, quite attractive to me.

The idea of the grassy pavers might be cheap enough to use for those "boxes" folks are making in paddocks to dry off the hooves. Put up a board edging, fill a foot or more deep with limestone fines, for horses to stand on in the wet times. Keep the layers more stable.

Plumcreek
Dec. 18, 2009, 03:23 PM
The porous pavers were used in a National Forest equestrian parking lot near Santa Barbara, where a friend and I went trail riding. They were great to unload horses on, not muddy and not slick like pavement.

BTW, they are becomming more common as they earn points for "Green" projects going for a LEED rating.

Daydream Believer
Dec. 18, 2009, 04:23 PM
Oh, cool! I love those pavers! I'll check them out. Thanks for all the ideas! I have a couple of places out side that would be great for those also.

abbydp
Dec. 21, 2009, 12:19 PM
I didn't buy them so will have to find out where they came from but we put them in the barn when it was built. I have a big Tb that pees more than any animal on the planet. He has ruined floors in every matted stall he has ever been in, no matter what was under the mats. When he was moving here, we planned for that. The owner dug 4 drain holes with the auger and filled them with gravel. The floor was then dirt with the grids installed and dirt and bluestone on top. The bluestone didn't stay but the dirt did and packed into the holes. Where he really pees the holes hollow out a little but then repack with shavings. The floor has stayed level after almost a year and a half, and has needed absolutely no maintenance. We do put A LOT of shavings because the edges of the grid are hard. I use less shavings now with the grid than I ever did with mats, even considering I start with a great deal more. The pee runs through the shavings and into the floor, the way it is supposed to. It doesn't smell any worse than any other system he has ever been in. I have to say I do not miss stepping on the edges of the mats and having pee squirt up from underneath!!

ladybug01
Dec. 22, 2009, 10:34 PM
I have Equi Terr grid flooring in my barn, and love it.
My horse can not dig through it, and she has tried for years, and it drains well, when the stalls get power washed in the spring, the water drains through.
It also works well in walkways and gates.
http://www.equiterr.com/

AdAblurr02
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.arena-rehab.com/products-01.htm

http://www.arena-rehab.com/grassypavers.htm

http://www.arena-rehab.com/RestEasy.htm

IronwoodFarm
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:34 AM
DDB, you have a terrific source of grid mats near you. Contact Debbie at http://stable-grid.com/ She's based outside of Richmond.

I bought this product when we first built our barn in 2001. Like LYR, we have packed clay floors which we put gravel over and leveled it. Then the grid went over top and was filled with stone dust. Aside from topping off the stone dust a few times since installation, it has been a great product for over 8 years. We also use the grid at the gates to the fields and that has reduced the mud issues tremendously. I love this product. The stalls drain, it's not a problem to care for and it lasts.

eventgroupie2
Dec. 26, 2009, 12:07 PM
We put in Equustall flooring in our five stalls when we built the barn in 1999. We love it - have never had a problem with it. But I think it was pretty expensive even them, but you might want to check it out. The factory was in Richmond, VA so we were able to just go pick it up, which saved shipping charges.