FatPalomino
Dec. 18, 2009, 01:26 AM
deleted

Sansena
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:22 AM
...done.

ShotenStar
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:48 AM
Is it possible for Dr. Bluhm to 'get around' the non-compete clause by being hired by the rescue, even if her salary is only $1 per year? Since the Rescue is not in the business of providing vet services to the general public, her work with them should not be considered competition with the clinic's main business line / for the clinic's customers.

Poorly worded non-compete clauses can amount to indentured servitude for the employee. Anyone who receives an employment contract with such a set of clauses needs to read them very carefully and think through all the possible future ramifications before signing.

*star*

Grataan
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:58 AM
non competes are generally for employment-so paying her dollar would definitely violate any non compete I have ever read. She needs a good contract lawyer to sue for her, citing that she is not violating the agreement because she is not being paid ANYTHING.

You could do this by having her write scripts for ALL medications instead of dispensing anything and covering her costs etc.

Good luck.

There are some states where non-competes generally do not hold up, and then there are states where they do.

Usually they will be expired in a few years.

As a DVM student you have now learned a valuable lesson regarding post graduate employment-do you want to sign a non compete and what will the language in one you agree to be?

LarkspurCO
Dec. 18, 2009, 01:12 PM
Has Boulder Valley filed an injunction against her? I think they will have a hard time proving "money damages" since they'd never stand to profit from having CHR as a client anyway. If they go to court, I bet they'll have a hard time proving that "good PR" for Dr. Bluhm is harmful to their business.

They should be more concerned about bad PR for themselves, because they are such whiney putzes.

chaltagor
Dec. 18, 2009, 03:41 PM
If they go to court, I bet they'll have a hard time proving that "good PR" for Dr. Bluhm is harmful to their business.

Have you seen their website? What a disaster. I went there to see if they mentioned about any work they did with rescues or the like, and there is none that I could find. That site is like a funhouse mirror maze.

I've found a lot of vets won't advertise they work with a rescue as they think that will bring people to their door who also want a discount. So they end up looking like they don't care about helping animals in need and they get cranky when other vets do advertise this. This is dumb, as people like to feel good about they vet they use and would possibly not mind the fees so much if they knew the vet donated services also.

FatPalomino
Dec. 18, 2009, 09:50 PM

FatPalomino
Dec. 20, 2009, 01:32 PM
anyone else have a moment of two, to help the horses?

CosMonster
Dec. 20, 2009, 01:46 PM
I contacted a few stations and also forwarded the e-mail you sent me to some friends in CO. The whole situation is pretty ridiculous.

Plumcreek
Dec. 20, 2009, 05:13 PM
If anyone knows where Ernie Bjorkman is working now (as a vet tech), he might have some influence with the Denver newscast program managers.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1028-Pet-News-Examiner~y2009m1d17-Ernie-Bjorkman-TV-Anchorman-turned-veterinary-technician-is-an-inspiring-story

Is this the same Colorado Horse Rescue that is currently looking for a paid Executive Director? http://www.dotorgjobs.com/job/9336451e2aa787938df38151ad51839d/?d=1&source=indeed

AppJumpr08
Dec. 20, 2009, 05:59 PM
Is Boulder Valley Vet refusing to donate services to CHR?

Grataan
Dec. 20, 2009, 06:18 PM
Is Boulder Valley Vet refusing to donate services to CHR?It is my understanding that that is the case-I do not know if they are discounted any but I was told via pm that the rescue was being charged for their services and/or had to hire another practice (and thus pay them)

AppJumpr08
Dec. 20, 2009, 06:28 PM
It is my understanding that that is the case-I do not know if they are discounted any but I was told via pm that the rescue was being charged for their services and/or had to hire another practice (and thus pay them)

Then THAT is TOTAL BS, and Boulder Valley Vet should be ashamed of themselves.:mad::mad::mad:

Dr. Bluhm shouldn't have any issue defending herself should they decide to take her to court.

LexInVA
Dec. 20, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'd be interested in seeing the exact wording of this clause in her previous employment contract.

sketcher
Dec. 20, 2009, 07:15 PM
I've emailed channel 4,5 and 9. I forwarded the content of your post because it is a rational and comprehensive description of the issue at hand. Good luck - and hang onto the fact that karma can be a bitch..that vet practice will get theirs someday.

FatPalomino
Dec. 20, 2009, 08:28 PM
For those that have taken a moment to help, I thank you, Dr. Bluhm thanks you, and most importantly the horses at CHR thank you. You rock! :D

I'd urge everyone to watch CHR's video tribute to Dr. Bluhm, done a few months ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHweDU3k6Y

And also watch the video on their homepage, describing CHR and their work:
www.chr.org
I've personally seen just about every horse featured (I didn't see Stormy), and can verify every ounce of this video. In fact, search Wanna Cruz on this forums, and you'll see her story. Thankfully, CHR's the most honest rescue I've ever had the pleasure to work with. I'm thankful that they are here, without them, the horses of Colorado would be in big trouble.

Is Boulder Valley Vet refusing to donate services to CHR?

Yes, that is correct. Pretty damn crappy, to say the least, isn't it?

I'd be interested in seeing the exact wording of this clause in her previous employment contract.
Well, that's a pretty personal and bold question. I haven't asked to see it. I've known Dr. Bluhm for years, and I personally think she is the best equine vet I have ever met, and besides that, she's just an awesome person. She has someone working on her behalf to help diffuse this situation legally, but until then, the horses at CHR are without their pro-bono vet of the past 4 years. How speedy are the courts and attorneys? Not very.

Is this the same Colorado Horse Rescue that is currently looking for a paid Executive Director? http://www.dotorgjobs.com/job/9336451e2aa787938df38151ad51839d/?d=1&source=indeed

Yes. And according to their 2007 990, they paid their ED, who had an MBA, earned less than $30,000 (or, $11.hr), and in 2006, she was paid $0. To me that seems underpaid for the amount of work the ED does. In comparision, the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation's ED got over $81,000 (or, $31/hr) in 2007. http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=8762
And the Toys for Tots's president pulled in over $233,000 (or, $90/hr) in 2008.
http://www.toysfortots.org/documents/annual_reports/2008%20IRS%20Form%20990%20(public).pdf

It's also the same CHR that utilizes 50 (unpaid) volunteers weekly to feed and care for the horses. Also, as far as I know, they are the only agency in Colorado that'd been available this year to *always* take impounds and neglect cases. ;)

Plumcreek
Dec. 20, 2009, 08:28 PM
In case others have not, I am forwarding this video link, posted above, to the TV stations. Their all-important video footage is already done for them:
". .......... months ago CHR (www.chr.org) put a video on the front page as a tribute to Dr. Bluhm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHweDU3k6Y ..."

FatPalomino
Dec. 20, 2009, 08:40 PM
Plumcreek,
Good idea.
The reporters can speak with the attorney's involved and get the details as needed.
I, personally, think the people of Boulder county and the surrounding area will be appalled to know what's going on, esp. the week of Christmas.
(PS. I was told by a CHR rep. that these videos were donated to CHR.)

We need to bombard the media. As soon as I am finished my schoolwork tonight, I'll be calling. I already emailed. I'll be calling every day until someone decides to look into it. It's the least I can do for the horses.

Rabbit351w
Dec. 20, 2009, 11:40 PM
It's my understanding, if I remember Contracts class correctly, that non-competes are generally fairly difficult to enforce, especially those which violate good public policy. There are other reasonableness factors to consider, including the duration of the non-compete as well as the prohibited service area. A good contracts lawyer should be able to tell the Dr. what she is actually bound to do, or in this case, not do.

stryder
Dec. 21, 2009, 12:21 AM
We need to bombard the media. As soon as I am finished my schoolwork tonight, I'll be calling. I already emailed. I'll be calling every day until someone decides to look into it. It's the least I can do for the horses.

In general, the media works harder if it's working on an exclusive that will expire. No media outlet wants to work on a story that everyone else is working on ....

But that train's left the station.

What about the state veterinarian? Someone needs to call the two veterinarians and refocus them on the tremendous BAD publicity their own actions will generate for themselves. Can the state vet do that? Or perhaps someone from CSU?

What a pity.

You said lawyers and the courts aren't very speedy. I suppose one option would be for Dr. Bluhm to treat the horses, pro bono, in violation of her non-compete. It would speed up the process. Is she a gambler?

Hampton Bay
Dec. 21, 2009, 04:46 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think Lex was saying anything bad about the Dr. Bluhm in wanting to see the wording of the non-compete clause. It sounds more like he is wondering if the wording might leave an out that the vet clinic did not notice.

I can't imagine anyone getting critical of a vet who donates her time and services to rescued horses.

FatPalomino
Dec. 21, 2009, 06:48 PM
No offense taken of implied ;)

Since attorneys are involved, I doubt they'd want copies of the contract circulating on the internet :D But, I am hopeful, that the media may pick the story up and dog deeper, and report on details like that ;)

That said, I'm off to make my calls/emails to ask the media to listen to this story.

PS, Add tom.martino@kdvr.com to the list. He's an investigative reporter who is also a horse person.
Denver Channel 9 seemed interested (they've picked up on some horse stories in the past), but they didn't understand why Dr. Bluhm couldn't work there. I emailed the story, and Dr. Bluhm's phone number, for clarification. Maybe it would help if they realize some other folks are interested in hearing the story? 303.871.9999 desk@9news.com
Sboyd@cbs.com is also interested in hearing about the story- she's a local resident.

Cross off Channel 7- They said who cares if the vet clinic is being greedy and violating the code of ethics.