PDA

View Full Version : "evented to" vs "evented through" Please explain

Blue Eyed Tovero
Dec. 17, 2009, 03:39 PM
Forgive my ignorance but I've ventured over here from hunter land looking for an answer. I've seen sale ads for horses that have been "evented to" or "evented through" certain levels. If a horse has been, for example, evented to prelim. does that mean he's been evented through training level but has not yet gone prelim? Or if he's been evented through prelim., does that mean he has in fact competed at the prelim. level?

bigbaytb
Dec. 17, 2009, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure to and through prelim means the horse has competed at prelim and just is a quirk of the author and the english language.

It's best to contact the seller and ask.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 17, 2009, 03:48 PM
Forgive my ignorance but I've ventured over here from hunter land looking for an answer. I've seen sale ads for horses that have been "evented to" or "evented through" certain levels. If a horse has been, for example, evented to prelim. does that mean he's been evented through training level but has not yet gone prelim? Or if he's been evented through prelim., does that mean he has in fact competed at the prelim. level?

I'd ask. To me it means the same thing...the horse has gone Prelim.

A better question to ask is:

Is it a solid Prelim horse? For example, my mare has competed in 6-7 prelims but I would still not describe her as a solid Prelim horse....My old gelding was a solid Prelim gelding after maybe 3 prelims. It is different for every horse.

deltawave
Dec. 17, 2009, 04:04 PM
I don't think there's any fixed definition. You have to do your homework--any horse that's competing at recognized USEA competitions has a record on-line and readily available for searching.

To some "evented to Prelim" might mean "we entered a Prelim HT and got eliminated at the 3rd jump on XC" while another might mean the horse is solid at the level.

The semantics are not strictly defined nor agreed upon, so you have to simply look up the horse's record.

SevenDogs
Dec. 17, 2009, 04:09 PM
Records for approximately the last three years of recognized horse trials and events are available online here:

http://useventing.com/competitions.php?section=search

You can search by horse or rider and is an excellent tool for evaluating sale horses and claims by Sellers. It obviously won't include all of the information you will want about a prospective horse and won't include any schooling type shows and events, but is a pretty good start.

I am sometimes stunned when I see claims in ads for sale horses that I know are blatently untrue, since it is so easily verified these days.

ThirdCharm
Dec. 17, 2009, 04:18 PM
Definitely check, there is no difference semantically. But if I had a dollar for every "training level" horse I inquired about for a client which had been eliminated in its one and only Training event (or, better yet, the Prelim horse who got eliminated in its one start at Prelim, immediately after being Eliminated twice at Training..... WTF????).... I could retire. Recently inquired about a horse evented through Training who was eliminated in two out of four training runs, eliminated in one try at Prelim (????), and overall eliminated in six out of its last seven events including attempts at Novice and BN. Ugh.

But, technically true.

Jennifer

Gry2Yng
Dec. 17, 2009, 05:04 PM
Definitely check, there is no difference semantically. But if I had a dollar for every "training level" horse I inquired about for a client which had been eliminated in its one and only Training event (or, better yet, the Prelim horse who got eliminated in its one start at Prelim, immediately after being Eliminated twice at Training..... WTF????).... I could retire. Recently inquired about a horse evented through Training who was eliminated in two out of four training runs, eliminated in one try at Prelim (????), and overall eliminated in six out of its last seven events including attempts at Novice and BN. Ugh.

But, technically true.

Jennifer

Yikes! Hope they found a buyer who wasn't paying attention/asking questions.

retreadeventer
Dec. 17, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evented to - means to me that they got just to that level in their schooling and may have attempted competing at the level a few times.
Evented through - means to me that they have had a season or more at the stated level.

There is a big difference in the amount of training to get to a level and to be sustained at the level, I think. Also big difference in conditioning levels, too.

Hilary
Dec. 17, 2009, 06:22 PM

But, technically true.

Jennifer

If nothing else, take heart that you just made me feel a lot better about my "one stop wonder".....( who did finally have a clean XC)

shawneeAcres
Dec. 17, 2009, 07:12 PM
This is exactly why I prefer to state results, regardless of if I am advertising a hunter, jumper or eventer. I state for example in a horse I recently sold "Has competed successfully in NCHJA "C" shows winning champion or reserve at 2'6" at shuch shows as Sedgefield, Raleigh indoors and Bennett Bunn". This quickly tells a prospective buyer the level the horse was showing at, both in terms of fence height and level/type of show. No "guesswork" left to the buyer. Or if not yet competed "Excellent prospect for Eventing", and then explain WHY, i.e. excellent gaits, brave schooling over fences etc.