View Full Version : Trailer prices, and where to buy in NoVA?

Dec. 17, 2009, 04:25 PM
I am looking for my first trailer. Very simple 2H bumper pull. My original budget was for a used, around $3500 or so. My question are, how much do new trailers run in this type? I don't need the dressing room but would love a place to hang 1 or 2 saddles. If new ones are only a bit more, I'm thinking of getting new. Also, where in NoVA can one buy new trailers? I heard there is a place in Gainesville off of Rt. 29 but I cannot find it online?! Is there anywhere in MD, near Poolesville area? I'm not far from there too. Part of me leans toward buying new for safety, longevity, etc....but not if it's going to cost me $8000 on up. I prefer straight load if that makes a difference.

Dec. 17, 2009, 05:06 PM
I live in the greater NoVA area and actually bought my in Delaware at Delwood trailers. It was a haul for me to get out there, but they had a few used trailers I was interested in via their ads online. If you're willing to travel a little, there are new trailer dealerships in Leesburg and then Blue Ridge Trailers is is Ruckersville, down towards Charlottesville.

Good luck!

Dec. 17, 2009, 06:13 PM
Blue Ridge Trailer has new and some used trailers. Tinker Lyman is a good person to contact there. Even without a dressing room, a new 2 horse BP (not a stock trailer-- you can find them about in the $4K range) runs about $10K. I bought almost exactly what you're looking for: a 1998 Shoop TB size 2 horse with no dressing room, for $3500. It is a wonderful trailer, roomy, bright, solid, but it sucks trying to haul any tack in it. There is a built in tack box/seat up in the head area, but, it leaks, so anything in there molds, and then the horse's hay bags are up front, so there is always hay everywhere. The back of my truck turned into my tack room, and when I do upgrade trailers one day, I absolutely will splurge and spend the extra money for a dressing room/tack on the trailer.

Dec. 17, 2009, 06:20 PM
My question are, how much do new trailers run in this type?

I am not an expert in this area, but I think it's similar to cars--it's about double the price for new versus 3 to 5 years old, and some brands hold their value better than others. You won't pay half the price of a new Brenderup, for example, until the B'up is 9 or 10 years old. :eek:

If you want to get a better feel in your area, try searching at www.horsetrailerworld.com. Compare the prices you see on used/new trailers in the brands you're interested in.

Honestly in this economy, $3500 can buy you a LOT of trailer. I would have expected something like this to go for $5K before the recession (I am not affiliated with this person, just pulled something off my local Craigslist for argument's sake):

Dec. 17, 2009, 06:26 PM
If you're not going to be picky about the brand, you can get a new 2 horse for around 4-5K, not a stock trailer either you just can't get the highend brand. Look at Ponderosa or WW or one of those brands and you'll come up with something. I'm in Arkansas, but around here they don't devalue that fast. No they don't hold value like a Brenderup, but they will still be able to be sold for $2500 to $3500 if you keep up on maintenance and don't let them rust in the field.

Dec. 17, 2009, 06:31 PM
Have you looked on virginiaequestrian.com ? This one is in Centreville, VA

Dec. 17, 2009, 08:12 PM
I second trying Blue Ridge Trailer Salesin Ruckersville. The people there are great and knowledgable. They can get some pretty good used ones too. And they have a website you can browse on.

Dec. 18, 2009, 08:56 AM
I too am looking for the same trailer in the same area! haha.
Honestly I don't really know where to look, I have just been doing online searches. I'm up in PA now visiting, so I have been looking around there.

Good luck! And as far as prices, a good shape 2 horse is from 3-5k

Dec. 18, 2009, 12:32 PM
Have you tried looking at Lux Trailers (http://www.luxtrailers.com/)? I've bought my last two trailers from them and they're great to work with and the prices were pretty reasonable. They usually have a very good selection of new and used trailers. They're in Lanham, MD, though.