PDA

View Full Version : NICE quarter sheet source?

deltawave
Dec. 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
I want to buy one for a gift--any resources for finding a nice one, not just a cheesy square of poly-fleece? ;)

norcalammie
Dec. 17, 2009, 02:28 PM
I got one for a friend for Christmas from Equestrian Collections - web site is www.equestriancollections.com. I got her the Tuff Rider Thermo Manager quarter sheet. I googled the product and they had it at the least expensive cost. Several people in our barn have them and like them. See what you think.

Kathy

Phaxxton
Dec. 17, 2009, 02:28 PM
I love the Rambo Newmarket Quarter Sheets. They are fleece, but definitely not cheesey. They are heavy, durable, and stay in place while riding.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=3884

Of course, I can imagine the stripes may not be for everyone...

deltawave
Dec. 17, 2009, 02:31 PM
Oh dude, I *love* me that Newmarket fabric. Just bought one of those fleecy coolers. :D That's on the list, believe me. :yes:

Phaxxton
Dec. 17, 2009, 02:34 PM
Oh dude, I *love* me that Newmarket fabric. Just bought one of those fleecy coolers. :D That's on the list, believe me. :yes:

I have the coolers and the quarter sheets for all of my horses. LOVE them, too. :yes: Just wasn't sure if you were looking for solid colors.

jn4jenny
Dec. 17, 2009, 02:34 PM
Well how timely. Thermatex Quarter Rugs are on Tack of the Day Today, and for once they're VERY reasonably priced!

There is also someone over on The Outside Course who makes very nice, non-cheesy heavy fleece quarter sheets. Can't remember who it is, but check the Tack Classifieds section.

But honestly, quarter sheets are not my area. I ride in a $10 wool blend Dura-Tech quarter sheet from Schneiders. :lol:

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 17, 2009, 02:51 PM
Well how timely. Thermatex Quarter Rugs are on Tack of the Day Today, and for once they're VERY reasonably priced!

I have one....they are fantastic. But the one I have is different from the one on Tack of the Day. It is this one

http://www.thermatex.co.uk/thermatex-nordic-exercise-rug-723-0.html

WONDERFUL material. Unfortunately using my every day this week....I hate winter!

SuperEventer
Dec. 17, 2009, 07:08 PM
Saratoga Horseworks makes some nice custom quarter sheets... I have one of those as well as the Newmarket by Horseware. I love them both!

Foxhall
Dec. 17, 2009, 07:12 PM
the fork gave out navy rambo quarter sheets a few years ago for prizes (gold cup i think?) My trainer won one and I used it quite a bit last year. They are very nice for hacking out in the chilly weather and especially if its windy or raining. They are water and wind resistant. Not sure where you can order them specifically from though, sorry.

echodecker
Dec. 17, 2009, 07:16 PM
I have the thermatex quarter sheet that's on tack of the day today, and I LOVE it!!! I was seriously tempted to buy another one today even though mine looks completely new after a winter of use. I don't think I'll need another one for 5 years at least, but I love it so much and the price is so good...

Anyway, just wanted to plug the great product. The other really nice thing about this design (if you aren't familiar) is that it attaches with velcro to your billet keepers on the saddle flap so you can easily remove it after warm up and it doesn't bunch up under your saddle, alleviating any potential rubs or pressure spots.

A big thumbs up here!

Sandy M
Dec. 17, 2009, 08:24 PM
On my budget, cheesy polar fleece works just fine. ($10 at Kmart, or sometimes thicker ones below $20 at Marshall's or Ross).

ON the other hand, I do have a rainproof cordura nylon top/wool lined quarter sheet - the Dover one that velcros over your legs if you wish - but that was a gift. *G*

retreadeventer
Dec. 17, 2009, 08:30 PM
I have the Rambo one as well and it's waterproof and I love it. I have a couple different ones. One I got in England and it's the best but it doesn't have a brand on it - but you can tell it's totally different and better fabric.

jesposito
Dec. 17, 2009, 10:50 PM
I have the waterproof/breathable fleece lined quarter sheet from Schneider's and love it--I have had it for several years now, still waterproof, warm with the fleecy lining, doesn't overheat, and has held up well. Only downside is lack of color choice, so if you are looking for anything other than navy, this probably won't work! But here is a link:
http://www.sstack.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2756&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=quarter+sheet

slp2
Dec. 18, 2009, 12:07 AM
OK--I was tempted by the Tack of the Day quarter sheet myself. But the one pictured on Tack of the Day doesn't appear to have the part that goes under the saddle (or am I smoking my own exhaust?) Does anyone know if the one pictured in the link that BFNE posted above, is really the same one? Just curious because I know you can't return those TOTD items.

joiedevie99
Dec. 18, 2009, 12:13 AM
The TOTD one does not go under the saddle. That is why I own two of them- they don't mess with your saddle pads. It stops right behind the saddle, and there are two velcro pieces that velcro it on to the back billet.

LuckyOne
Dec. 18, 2009, 12:26 AM
http://www.bitofbritain.com/Rambo_Competition_Sheet_p/0729.htm

As posted above, it is a super nice sheet. I have had if for a few years and have used it during a downpour and stayed dry and CLEAN! Well at least until I had to go into the ring. But it is worth every penny.

Saskatoonian
Dec. 18, 2009, 10:02 AM
Second Saratoga Horseworks - they have off the rack as well as custom and are quick.

KayBee
Dec. 18, 2009, 01:23 PM
I third Saratoga...

Here's a link (http://www.horseworks.com/exercise_rugs?b=1)to their exercise rugs.

http://www.horseworks.com/exercise_rugs?b=1

The wool ones look lovely, but are pricey.

CookiePony
Dec. 18, 2009, 01:25 PM
Not wanting to hijack... but oh well. When do you use a quarter sheet? I have a couple (one waterproof, one fleece), and almost never use them. I am of course in TN, where winters are more moderate.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 18, 2009, 01:40 PM
Not wanting to hijack... but oh well. When do you use a quarter sheet? I have a couple (one waterproof, one fleece), and almost never use them. I am of course in TN, where winters are more moderate.

Honestly...when I'm cold in the barn. Usually in the low 40s. But might only have it on when going for a walk or the initial warm up. This morning...it was low 20s.....he wore it the whole ride even though we were in the indoor...the indoor isn't that warm!

scubed
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:44 PM
You might try (fairly) local and call classic saddlery. They often have good prices on nice stuff. Almost all of my turnout blankets come from there as well as a lot of other stuff. Moxie does the Cavero. Equestrian Collections does have a very good selection of several of the top brands.

Ruth0552
Dec. 19, 2009, 02:57 PM
I have a nice wool one that is god knows how old. I decided either last year or the year before that I wanted a fleece one.

So I ordered the weatherbeeta one in blackwatch plaid, becuase our colors are green and black, and we have the matching cooler. I ordered it in "regular" since I have a 15.1H Qh gelding. I was sure he wouldn't be pony, nor does he have an ass that would fit a warmblood or Draft Cross (for the XL size).

Upon trying said cooler on horse, I discovered it is indeed too small for my QH. That tail strap is giving him a wedgie.

I can't believe my QH apparently has an XL size butt. It fits okay in length though, but it is a little short on the sides. Since the length is okay, instead of returning it I took the tail strap off and still use it. I tried riding him once with it on, and he was not appreciative. I understand. I do not like thongs either.

DressageCB
Dec. 19, 2009, 04:31 PM
the fork gave out navy rambo quarter sheets a few years ago for prizes (gold cup i think?) My trainer won one and I used it quite a bit last year. They are very nice for hacking out in the chilly weather and especially if its windy or raining. They are water and wind resistant. Not sure where you can order them specifically from though, sorry.

Similar to the navy one you can order from Bit of Britain, but that one is lined.