PDA

View Full Version : most durable gloves for everday use?

lionstigersbears
Dec. 16, 2009, 05:12 PM
I'm sure there have been posts on this before, but I cannot seem to get the 'search' to actually find what I want instead of pulling up every post with the word glove in it (there's A LOT!). Also, I don't want warm gloves for winter.

So last night after my lesson I noticed that my gloves, which are pretty worn anyway, now have holes in them. I have just been using my 'show gloves' for lessons because it was either them or my woolly warm gloves, which I don't like using.

In the past I had the Ovation crochet schooling gloves, but they tended to get stiff/smelly after a summer of riding or getting wet.

The gloves I have now that need replacing are SSG Gripper riding gloves I think... the really cheap ones (like $6).

I want a pair of gloves that I won't have to replace in a couple months, that are suitable for everyday riding and are OK if they get wet (riding in the rain or getting splashed cross country).

Right now I am looking at SSG All Weather gloves, Roeckl Cross Country gloves, SSG eventer gloves and Ariat Tek Grip gloves... Which of these would be the most durable or are they all about the same? For $25-35 I would want them to last at least a year. Also welcome to other suggestions if there are better gloves out there... I just really don't want to spend a lot! :no:

Thanks!

sisu27
Dec. 16, 2009, 05:25 PM
I buy the cheap deerskin ones from the feed store. They last for years.

EquineRacers
Dec. 16, 2009, 05:27 PM
Neumann. Can't go wrong with them. I use them galloping racehorses and take about 5-8 a day and they last long then anyother pair I've had and in all weather conditions. They cost around $40

TBrescue
Dec. 16, 2009, 10:05 PM
I have a pair of SSG all weather gloves that I have been using for 3 years :) They go through the wash and come out looking new.

ZiggyStardust
Dec. 17, 2009, 12:24 AM
SSG All Weather. Reasonable price, extremely durable, and washable. I've tried more expensive gloves, but still like these the best (love them!). Mine are a few years old and still look good.

EmmyTheHemi
Dec. 17, 2009, 06:15 AM
The SSGs All Weathers are great, and I like the Ariat GripTeks, too, although they cost a bit more.

I did find that the SSGs eventually lost their grippy-ness, but we're talking a 10-yo pair, here. Now they do barn chores.

Pariah Pony
Dec. 17, 2009, 08:33 AM
I had the Ariat Grip Teks. They have held up very well, but in my experience they do not save you from the "stink factor". Mine have gotten wet, but not overly so, and I wash them regularly (I've tried every sort of detergent and deodorizer - this is a "special" smell, and I have no idea where it came from). I've never let them get moldy, but they just REEK. I hate them. In fact, I'm shopping for some new gloves as well for everyday riding and I just won't go back to the Ariat Teks.

I actually went back to my ancient (like.. I was given them as a Christmas gift ten years ago?) SSG all weather gloves. I liked them a lot, but this fall I finally poked through the thumb and forefingers on the right palm. Great glove, but I don't love the palm material. I think they've updated it though, so I'm checking them out. Best value, I think.. although I'm sure I'd love a pair of Roeckls or Neumanns if I weren't so cheap :D

Today is the last day of service for the SSG gloves - I am doing a Christmas themed photo of my horse. The gloves had the brown colored backing, and as it turns out the make PERFECT antlers when put on my guy's ears!

BigMick
Dec. 17, 2009, 08:33 AM
Neumann. Can't go wrong with them. I use them galloping racehorses and take about 5-8 a day and they last long then anyother pair I've had and in all weather conditions. They cost around $40

Neumann's are very durable, but they really start to stink after heavy use! I had a pair that I loved, but no number of washing's would get that smell out. My husband played baseball and commented that all the players hated Neumann's for that same reason.

Jazzy Lady
Dec. 17, 2009, 09:19 AM
Deerskin one's for me too. Very comfy for working, don't get overly hot, but also nice in the fall and I've only ever had to replace a pair when I lose them. I also used the lined ones in the winter. I also find they are such nice leather they are pretty grippy.

The Centaurian
Dec. 17, 2009, 09:59 AM
I also have the SSG gloves with the string backs, and I like them a lot. :)

As far as the search function goes, when you click "search", don't type in the little box that pops up; instead, click the "advanced search" link below it. On the advanced search page, you can use the drop-down box to select "search titles only" rather than "search entire post". For example, this is what I got when I searched for "gloves" in the titles only:

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/search.php?searchid=6737976

cheers!

lionstigersbears
Dec. 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! I think I am going to go with the SSG All Weather gloves :)

And:

As far as the search function goes, when you click "search", don't type in the little box that pops up; instead, click the "advanced search" link below it. On the advanced search page, you can use the drop-down box to select "search titles only" rather than "search entire post".

Thank you! Maybe now I will actually be able to search for things properly! :winkgrin:

eventer_mi
Dec. 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
I have a pair of the winter Roecks, and while they're extremly comfy and fit well ( I have small hands), after only two rides they developed a small rip in the left hand, on the side of the palm. Weird place to rip. I was rather disappointed, because they cost around $40, but I sewed them up by hand.

I used to have the Heritage ones, which are pretty durable but whew! they stink. I think it's the synthetic palms that smell so bad. I liked my Ariats, but I keep them for shows.

The string backed gloves with leather palms are completely useless with rubber reins in the rain. It took one ride on an ex-Intermediate OTTB, over a steeplechase brush, in the pouring English countryside rain to figure this out.

lionstigersbears
Dec. 17, 2009, 12:06 PM
Today is the last day of service for the SSG gloves - I am doing a Christmas themed photo of my horse. The gloves had the brown colored backing, and as it turns out the make PERFECT antlers when put on my guy's ears!

:lol::lol::lol:

deltawave
Dec. 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
I've had good luck with all manner of gloves--I buy whatever's on sale, as long as they don't look like pieces of crap.

My favorites for barn work are the plain old deerskin ones from TSC, unlined for summer and fleece-lined for winter. For riding I have several pairs of Kyra K fleece-lined leather gloves. They're about $80 but indestructible and extremely warm. I "wash my hands" with saddle soap while wearing them, wipe off, let dry and they're good for another six months.

wildlifer
Dec. 17, 2009, 04:44 PM
Yup, the SSG all weathers are great, even wash fine in the washing machine. Love them and you don't have to pay insane amounts of money for little ol' gloves.

skip916
Dec. 17, 2009, 06:25 PM
i put mine in the dishwasher to get the funky smell out- it works great!

kashmere
Dec. 17, 2009, 06:47 PM
I really like the Watson gloves. They've held up to daily use-- longeing and riding 3+ horses, plus all around barn work, throwing hay bales around, lugging water between two barns, etc.

these are the model I have:
http://www.watsongloves.com/item-991-586-Range_Rider__for_Her.htm

they're about $13.00 (Can.) at my local tack store. I've only had to buy 2 pairs in the last four years-- and only then because I lost the right glove to my first pair, had I not lost them, I'm certain the first pair would still be going strong.

They can be a bit stiff/feel thick to ride in the first time, but they molded to my hand very quickly.

Pariah Pony
Dec. 17, 2009, 10:13 PM

For your viewing pleasure... the SSGs last mission.

(http://pariahpony.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/face-3.jpg?w=500&h=332)

eta: I can't figure out how to include Lion's quote of my first post... :(

Simbalism
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:03 AM
I like the SSG all weather or Kerrits gloves that have a color patch on the back of the hand(sorry don't remember the model name). The Kerrits have performed as well for me as the SSG all weather and wash up fine.

scubed
Dec. 18, 2009, 06:50 PM
For your viewing pleasure... the SSGs last mission.

fabulous!

AUeventer
Dec. 18, 2009, 08:45 PM
neumann all the way