PDA

View Full Version : Easyboot Gloves- Solution for rub problem?

Ozalynda
Dec. 16, 2009, 12:57 AM
Love my Gloves! The transition from shod to "barefoot" has been completely problem free with one annoying exception. The gaiters are rubbing.

What can I do? I have tried:

-vetwrap (slides down)
-Vetwrap wrapped high and held in place with PC Elite boots (complete overkill and I don't like using boots)
-Strips of lambskin under gaiters (couldn't get the gaiters tight- fleece slipped)

I know this can not be an uncommon problem and there has to be a well-tried solution. So instead of my trying to reinvent the wheel here, can any of you share what you have used with success?

Thanks!!!

gothedistance
Dec. 16, 2009, 07:26 AM
Cut off the leg portion of a thick wool sock, slip it onto the horse's leg over the pastern and ankle, and hold it in place with vet wrap or duct tape (cheaper).

FWIW - I stopped using the Gloves when the gaiters caused bloody raw rubs on BOTH back legs (which were using the Gloves) miles from home during one ride. (Fronts were shod). Now I use the Gloves very sparingly; instead, I've gone back to the standard easyboot. It just isn't worth all the time and effort to have to protect my horses legs every time I want to use the Gloves.

Such a shame. It looked to be such a great idea.

LngRdr
Dec. 16, 2009, 07:52 AM
Have you asked an easyboot glove rep for ideas??? Sometimes, they have a variety of things you can try for these sorts of things.

I bought some gloves this year after pulling my horse's shoes for winter. My friend is a dealer so I tried hers out before making the purchase. However, I do know that they DO NOT work for every horse.

If you're not familiar with a local rep, I will include my freind's website. She's really good at handling questions/concerns via email.

Good Luck and Happy Trails!!

http://www.zegifts.com/

Ozalynda
Dec. 16, 2009, 08:15 AM
Great idea with the wool socks! Heaven knows I have enough of them lying around with huge holes in the heels so now I have something to use them for! :lol:

marta
Jan. 1, 2010, 02:40 PM
not to discourage you b/c certainly the boots can be a great solution but i found that even with smart wool socks the gaiters rubbed my mare. i tried the "special" ointments recommended on various hoof boot websites, i tried wrapping with vet wrap (first, it's pretty expensive to wrap every time you ride, second, the vet wrap created some skin sensitivity issues).

you could try sawing or glueing pieces of sheepskin to the gaiter to see if that helps you.

i was never able to fully resolve the gaiter rubbing issues and i even went as far as getting different sized boots b/c some folks insisted that my boots must be too large if i'm experiencing gaiter rubs.

in my personal opinion, some horses are just prone to gaiter rubs, whether it's due to skin sensitivity or due to the way they move.

i agree with GTD re use of old fashioned ezboots with no gaiters. no gaiters to rub there. on the other hand, some folks have a hard time keeping them on...