PDA

View Full Version : Goats are not cute. I used to think so.

OneGrayPony
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:52 PM
I have goats. I'm not sure why. I guess it's because I'm a glutton for punishment. They've been hell to keep fenced in (you should see their pasture, it looks like I'm keeping velociraptors in there), they pester the hell out of each other, and worse still, neither of them are pregnant, so I won't have any milk this spring.

So, today, I'm cleaning out their feed trough, which is about at chest height, because devil-spawn goat #1 has been sleeping in it (and also pooping in it). Since I don't want to dump clean feed on goat poop, I go into the stall to clean it out. At this point, goat #2 is NOT standing in the feeder.

I turn around, get goat feed, and stick my hand containing the scoop and feed through the goat feed hole in the stall wall. At this point, goat #2 all of a sudden is now standing in the feeder. Since idiot me doesn't look before I stick my hand in the goat hole, I neglect to realize that there is no room for goat #1's head, goat #2's head and body, and feed scoop. As I attempt to withdraw said feed scoop goat #2 shoves her head through the hole from the inside and traps my hand.

Problem: When my hand and the goat's head are in the hole, the only way for the goat's head to get back out of the hole is for said goat to completely crush my hand.

I now can't lift hay nor buckets with my left hand.

Why did I think they were cute?? Argh! Anyone else have these devil-spawn?

FatCatFarm
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:06 PM
They're only cute at other people's farms. :D

Laurierace
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:06 PM
I don't know why you thought they were cute but I am wondering why you bother feeding them. I haven't fed my goat once in the 12 years I have had her (how long do those freaking things live anyway?) and she is so fat she waddles. People tell me to cut down on what I feed her but its hard to cut down on nothing.

kellyb
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:07 PM
(you should see their pasture, it looks like I'm keeping velociraptors in there),

:lol::lol::lol:

Milocalwinnings
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:08 PM

Agreed! After working at a farm that raised goats, I will never ever own one!

MistyBlue
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hubby suggested a goat instead of a second horse as a companion to our other horse.
Erm...no thanks.
He changed his mind when I explained what keeping (or trying to keep) goats is like:
http://slammy.outpostmusic.com/images/goat.jpg

pintopiaffe
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:11 PM
Um... Hellooooo???? :uhoh:

Why do you think SATAN is usually depicted with goat horns and goat eyes???

Huh???

:lol: :lol:

:winkgrin:

Ajierene
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:17 PM
I was cured of wanting goats when I worked at a farm that had a petting zoo, complete with goat that would get out no matter what you did. One of his favorite past times was to stand on the picnic table while the camp kids tried to eat lunch.

My friend has those little goats that get stiff when they get excited or worried or something. They do not jump out anywhere, but they will climb through gates if they can.

OneGrayPony
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:21 PM
I don't know why you thought they were cute but I am wondering why you bother feeding them.

I had goats as a kid. Apparently I was feeling like recapturing my youth and conveniently forgot many things about them.
Like the fact that they assess your pasture with those weird little eyes and will be out of it before you can even close the gate.

Feeding them is an interesting story. My mother loves said goats. My mother made our goats into the fattest creatures on the planet. These are dairy goats, so they are naturally meant to look a little spindly, you know, all that "fat" is supposed to go into the milk.

My mother is convinced that we are starving said goats, despite the fact that between the two of them they get 3 quarts of grain per day, and two flakes of nice timothy and alfalfa hay. And no, neither are milking.

Now I have fatter devilspawn goats. I've been tempted to give my mother the goats, but she refuses. She just feels "sorry" for them. I would add that this is also the woman that made the barn cats so fat that they not only could barely walk, but they were totally useless at their intended purpose (vermin control).

The funniest thing about it? She's a life-long ethical vegetarian. So now I have fat goats that aren't even edible!

Serendipity
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:22 PM
Too funny!! (Sorry, probably not for you)
So, what happened? Did you lose a hand, or are you & the goat still stuck in the feed hole?

ETA - oops missed the last sentence in your post 'cause I was still laughing (at your story, not at you :) ). Sorry to hear about your hand!

McVillesMom
Dec. 15, 2009, 11:33 PM
My friend related to me this conversation that she had with another friend. Said friend also had a devil-spawn goat, I don't remember how old but she had had it for quite some time:

My friend: "How long do goats live, anyway?"

Her friend: "I ask myself that EVERY DAY."

:lol:

SpecialEffects
Dec. 15, 2009, 11:37 PM

My opinion.... not even then. :no:

I didn't think I would ever meet a type of animal I didn't like. That changed with goats. I really can't stand the things and keep threatening to steal a friends goat and dump it in the yard of a nice Jamaican family in her area. They raise goats to make fine dishes like goat curry and goat jerky. :D

Polydor
Dec. 15, 2009, 11:47 PM
ROFL -- not at you ! But can totally picture that scene!

Never dealt with goats... lots of sheep and bottle lambs but no goats really. My friend from college had a few and remember talking to her on MSN and her saying "Be right back the goat is on the kitchen table!" :S :O

P.

rideagoldenpony
Dec. 16, 2009, 01:54 AM

Huh???

OMG! You owe me a new computer screen! Or at least some Windex. :lol: That was seriously funny!

I HATE goats. Yes, hate them. Horrible creatures. I have owned my last goats. I don't care how many weeds and blackberries they eat, that's why God made TRACTORS with BRUSH HOGS for Pete's sake!!!!

ChocoMare
Dec. 16, 2009, 07:01 AM
And then there are the goats you don't even own, yet wind up rescuing. :no:

Go out to feed/tend my mares at the self-care farm where we board. Neighbor has 3 goats: Snow, Brownie & Barley. Barley goat (a wee alpine) just HAD to stick his head, replete with uber long horns, through the hogwire fence to reach the privet hedge on our side. Naturally, once he grazed it all gone, he wanted to move on down the fence. Alas, horns get stuck in those wire squares and the owners are NEVER home.

Enter me...pushing overly full wheelbarrow full o'poop out to the pile. Beh-eh-eh-eh goes Barley, pitifully, cocking his head sideways to look up at me equally as pitifully.

"Oh for cryin' out loud, you dumb goat!" goes me, whilst I traipse back to the feed room to get wire cutters in the event I could not successfully push Barley goat's head back through.

Which I couldn't.... of course. Because Barley goat had chosen the section of fence where there was new fence and old fence (like 30 years old) strung parallel together. So even if he got free of new fence, he couldn't get free of old fence. Wrestling with a goat's long-horned head is not very effective.

Cut old fence....end of cut old fence rakes into my fingers as I rastle with Barley goat's heat, taking out two chunks of skin in the process. "**)&^()! Goat!"

And with a twist of his cute lil old head, Barley goat frees himself of new fence and happily jigs off, Beh-eh-eh-eh-ing all the way, without so much as a Thank You Dumb Human for Doing My Bidding.

Hmph... :p

Sabovee
Dec. 16, 2009, 07:19 AM
I have goats. Looooots of goats. We breed Boers, and I have a couple of Lamanchas for milk, some Alpines because they were cute and a couple of mixes - including a wether who looks like any minute he'll give birth (much like Laurieraces one). I love my goats! Don't find them hard to fence (ELECTRIC!) or keep and they're very affectionate. That being said, they are not the smartest animals and feeding them is sometimes taxing as they climb all over you...

I was feeding the gang a few weeks ago, had my cell phone in a back pocket. I had been texting my BIL (we're very good friends) and I guess one of the goats jumped up on me and it dialed him.

He called me back laughing hysterically - I guess he was walking through an airport and got a audio feed of me feeding the goats, complete with swearing. :)

Anyone in the area (MD) that has a goat they don't want I'd be happy to take them off your hands! :)

Tamara in TN
Dec. 16, 2009, 07:21 AM
[QUOTE=OneGrayPony;4558829]I have goats. I'm not sure why. I guess it's because I'm a glutton for punishment.

they are however, very good BBqd with a Jamaican jerk sauce;)
just cover the legs with foil,don't wanna burn anything edible:)

Bluey
Dec. 16, 2009, 07:29 AM
We had a small goat dairy.
I don't know how long goats live, because we "recycled" them eventually.
We did keep an alpine doe and our main boy Billy into their old age, but they were here when I came, so don't know how ancient they were.
We did have a cow live to 27.:eek:

What keeps goats safe is that you can't convince anyone that they are not the cutest thing around, especially the kids.
I dare anyone to watch them run around and not grin, even if you are a confirmed grinch.:p

4marks
Dec. 16, 2009, 07:37 AM
I have heard/seen bad goats before, the tack store I went to as a kid had 2 that would stand on the customers cars and lick the salt off in the winter.
BUT--- I have the BEST goat in the world!! He lived with my senior stallion until he passed away and now just wanders around the farm keeping company with my babies which he manners if they get out of line. He will get into the feed buckets and is a pain about it but other than that small issue, he's the coolest animal. I even had someone offer me a LOT of money to buy him and refused, I won't ever find another like him I don't think.
There are good goats out there and if you ever met Stanley you would agree!!! ;-)

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 16, 2009, 08:04 AM
2 that would stand on the customers cars

They are lucky that's all they did. "Otis" and his two large black dog buddies would race down the driveway upon hearing an approaching car. When they neared the car, the dogs would split off on either side while Otis would leap onto the hood. This usually resulted in the car stopping abruptly. The large black dogs would then bark hysterically at the people in the car while Otis jumped from the hood to the roof to the trunk and back.

People learned to call before dropping by. :eek:

MistyBlue
Dec. 16, 2009, 08:34 AM
ETBW....:lol: :eek: :lol: Well that would make me stop the car too! :winkgrin: Flying goat attack followed by his two hell hounds! Yup, definitely true about that's why Satan has goat horns and hooves. :yes: Your goat even has Hell Hound minions! :D

Down the street from where I grew up was a family that kept a billy and a handful of nannies. He eventually paid a fortune to have the goat yard redone in 6' chain link with a chainlink roof to keep them confined. His billy's name was Beelzebub!

If he got out everyone knew it because he was a big boy with big horns and loved nothing more than a game of "knock you on your arse!" One neighbor found out the hard way that a riding lawnmower cannot outrun a charging goat.

I will *never* get a goat...I would definitely end up with one of the uber-evil impossible-to-contain ones.

threedogpack
Dec. 16, 2009, 08:37 AM
They are lucky that's all they did. "Otis" and his two large black dog buddies would race down the driveway upon hearing an approaching car. When they neared the car, the dogs would split off on either side while Otis would leap onto the hood. This usually resulted in the car stopping abruptly. The large black dogs would then bark hysterically at the people in the car while Otis jumped from the hood to the roof to the trunk and back.

Oh wow.....I'm glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read this. Talk about tag teaming! This is funny.

JSwan
Dec. 16, 2009, 08:50 AM
Goats are evil and attack in packs. They have been known to devour small children.

Don't be a victim!!!:D;)

http://www.goat-trauma.org/victim.shtml

I lost Yoda a few years ago - but he had the oddest habit. I let everyone out in the mornings in winter, and would start to clean stalls.

Yoda would jump in the empty wheelbarrow and lay down. I had to take him for a ride in the wheelbarrow - round and round the barnyard. Then I'd stop and he'd stand up and jump out.

We did that every morning in the winter.

I miss that goat.

1Walks1Trots
Dec. 16, 2009, 08:51 AM
I love my goats, they are sooo adorable. Maybe it's because I only have 2 or maybe it's because they are dwarf goats (Nigerian Dwarf), but look at their sweet little faces!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Virtues/1257633316.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Virtues/1257633213.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Virtues/1257633164.jpg

MistyBlue
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:02 AM
JSwan, I just about choked on my coffee from that site! Love when you scroll over the goat logo and the goat face gets red eyes and fangs! :lol:
1walks...they are adorable! But beware...nature makes the most evil things cute as buttons so we keep our guards down around them. Just look at ponies! Cute...yet evil. :yes:

hitchinmygetalong
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:03 AM
I don't know, Walks/Trots. Looks to me like they are plotting something, just waiting for an opportunity...

rmh_rider
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:06 AM
A quote from Sammy in TN, a guy who works at the Columbia, TN Sheep and Goat sale, and this is on his business card:

"The reason Mary had a little lamb was because goats were too much trouble."

True! They ARE only cute on other people's property.

I will be getting sheep this coming next year. I have never had goats, too naughty, and too devil like to me too. They are very destructive.

Long ago, LONG ago, my grandmother had a rooster who chased her and everybody thought it was so funny, and they teased her relentlessly about it, and well he pecked/chased her one too many times. She was only one he ever chased. And when he did that one too many times, he became sunday dinner.

Since apples do not fall far from the tree, if I had a goat that butted me one too many times (I believe in the 3 strikes law), it would be at the sale the very next week, or in a stew asap!

Yes, I have a tractor, and bush hog. I don't need any stinking goats. And WOW goats smell horrible. OMG. We have lots and lots of goats around here. Peeeeee you.

gallupgirl
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:08 AM
worse still, neither of them are pregnant,

And after this aren't you happy you won't be having any more goats???? LOL

I died laughing the story about the driveway attack goat. I wish we had one of those!!!

JSwan
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:08 AM
The cuter they are - the more evil they are.

1Walks - be afraid... be very very afraid. :winkgrin:

I think goats and chickens are plotting world domination.

Horses stand around inventing new and interesting ways to commit suicide - - but goats and chickens will inherit the earth.

And spend their time pooping on everything.

camohn
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:22 AM
No goats here........but the chickens didn't last either. They were horrid too!
So we bought this farm and I thought it would be cute to have chickens. The place came with an old chicken house/coop; bought (supposed) girl peeps.
1) 3 of the peeps were not girls. They grew up to be roosters.
2) peeps and chickens are good at digging out from under the coop. Soon they are free range chickens.
3) Free range chickens would much rather roost in the barn than in the chicken coop.
4) Barn chickens don't roost in the center beams. They roost over the horses water buckets where they poop in them.
5) Peeps learning to fly gravitate towards water buckets and drown in them.
6) Roosters do not "roost" in the barn. They "roost" in the maple tree outside your bedroom window.
7) Roosters in the tree do not crow at dawn. The crow at 10 pm, and midnight, and 2 am and 4 am AND dawn!!
8) The neighborhood red fox: he will kill all the chickens at your neighbors farm. This would be the neighbor that WANTS to raise free range chickens. Will he kill any chickens at MY farm (where they are reproducing like bunny rabbits and the barn cats are afraid of them....don't think THEY ever got a peep from the momma hens...........)...noooooo
9) If you feed the chickens grain....they don't eat it. The evil pigeons do. The now barn chickens eat the (chicken flavored) cat food from the cat food kibble dispenser instead. The cannibal diet apparently worked very well for them as the suckers lived for 7 years until we got an Irish Setter puppy who COULD catch them!!
All of the roosters were eventually caught and sent to the poultry auction (if they were not they were soon going to be shot out of the tree by a grumpy and sleep deprived husband..) along with most of the hens. There were two I just could NOT catch and that pair lived here til the Setter arrived. They were probably pretty old and slow by that point anyway....

Bluey
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:41 AM
We used to train race horses and milk goats, that were confined to their goat trap.
We had Billy the goat, that roamed where he wanted, as he would not stay in the goat pen, he was a man of the world.

One day the owner of a horse drove up to the barn in his brand new Cadillac, when those were the Rolls Royce of cars.
Boy, was he proud of it.:)
He walked over to the barn door and, looking back, saw Billy, very young at that time, inspecting his brand new Cadillac and mesmerized by the handle to the trunk, trying to see how it tasted.

The fellow ran to save his trunk handle and scared Billy so bad that, feeling trapped, his only escape was to jump ON the trunk, over the top and bounce off the so pretty and shiny hood, leaving scratches all over that now not so shiny Cadillac anymore.:eek:

Honestly, that time is was not at all poor scared Billy's fault, not really.:lol:

A few years later, Billy then grown and steady, he would not have let a little roly poly screeching old man, with wildly swinging arms, bother him that much.:p

1Walks1Trots
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the comments on Brees and Cedric (hubby is a football fan). I will watch them for future evildoing, but right now they are world class beggars with their little shrek faces and they can say MAAAAA and it just melts your heart. :)

You are so right about the poop, though, OMG, these are little poop slot machines. It's constant, and they don't care where they poop either.

Camohn, I got a huge laugh out of your post. Maybe I won't consider chickens. I had an all-out war going on barn swallows pooping on everything. They really love to poop on stuff it's a major PITA to wash, like blankets. I'm still giggling about that post. :D

pj
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:51 AM
My friend related to me this conversation that she had with another friend. Said friend also had a devil-spawn goat, I don't remember how old but she had had it for quite some time:

My friend: "How long do goats live, anyway?"

Her friend: "I ask myself that EVERY DAY."

I have one who is sixteen and going strong.

We just have six old ladies now and they still play some but I love to watch goats play, especially the younger ones. The goat ballet!! Can't explain it but you'd know it if you see it.
Had a buck that I could have watched for hours. He'd get up on a large dog house we had and proceed to defend himself from invisible wolves. He'd whirl and jab, change direction in mid air, rear and stomp. As you watched him you could almost see the "wolves" attacking. Sometimes the battle went on for thirty min. but this brave fellow always won!

When these old girls are gone I won't have anymore but..yeah..I like goats.

WaningMoon
Dec. 16, 2009, 10:50 AM
I don't know why you thought they were cute but I am wondering why you bother feeding them. I haven't fed my goat once in the 12 years I have had her (how long do those freaking things live anyway?) and she is so fat she waddles. People tell me to cut down on what I feed her but its hard to cut down on nothing.

OH, that goat looks just like my Patrick did. Oh, i just miss him so very much. He made it into this late teens though. It is hard around here to find one that is white or what they call caramel either.

I still think they are fun. I have pics of mine dancing on my moms Lincoln. She was not happy. They used to bounce from bumper to fender and on up to the top of the semi truck that hauled our milk. One time I so bad wanted some flowers around the yard but knew darn well that they would eat them right up. So, I made a fence with the no climb fencing with the squares and fenced in my flowers since I hadn't had one bit of luck fencing in the goats. Well, didn't I look out my kitchen window and see Patrick INSIDE that fence eating flowers. I was so mad. I grabbed my broom, not sure why, and headed out there. Can't nobody say they aren't smart. He had already made an escape hole to get out so he wouldn't have to come to the hole he made to get in near me. I know that sounds incredible but the fence was fine that morning when I was out there weeding and watering, no holes on either end. I was surprised that he was able to chew, or however he did it, through that gauge of wire but he did. They were amazing the two of them for sure. They jumped out of our hay barn window to the ground, quite a jump. They could also walk along the pipe line in teh milking barn. And they would start out on the car roof and then walk along the side of the car on that tiny little width of area by the windows, to the trunk end. I think that was likely what amazed me the most, that they could walk along there. And they'd nap on top of my donkey. Jeez, the more I recall these things the more I miss them. I would never have goats again though unless I had fence they could not get out of, unless I wanted them to come out to play and or go for a walk. I enjoy a nice yard with lots of plantings around and that is not possible with loose goats. But back then we had 400+ acres and they were free to go where they wished.

Trixie
Dec. 16, 2009, 10:57 AM
http://bighatsandcocktails.blogspot.com/2008/08/otis-bhac-margie-edition.html

That's why ETBW won't let me get a goat.

MistyBlue
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:00 AM
JSwan...be very afraid...the apocolypse:
http://blogs.dixcdn.com/woolgathering/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/chicken-on-priscillas-back.jpg

And watch out for the big billies...I'd let him have this car:
http://www.saveourgoats.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/goats-car.jpg

And no, there really isn't an easy way to keep goats contained. Not when they can do this:
http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2008/07/funny-pictures-goats-discuss-spider-size.jpg

"But they make great horse companions!" Um, ask this horse how much he loves his companion:
http://www.theequinest.com/images/goat-buddy-4.jpg

mp
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:05 AM
I have one who is sixteen and going strong

We have two 17 y.o. wethers, and I'm starting to think we better make provisions for them in our will.

MB -- you know what they say about fences ... if it can't hold water, it won't hold a goat.

Special note to rmh -- only the bucks stink. They use their urine to groom themselves and make them more attractive for mating. :p Does and wethers don't have any odor at all.

equusus
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:05 AM
Goat keeping tip for OP:

Keep your feeder outside the goat enclosure; make them stick their heads through the fence to eat. This way they can't poop in it and you will be safe when filling it.

Also, if they are not milking or kidding they do NOT need grain. Goats do fine on just hay.

I have been raising goats for about 12 years now and we only ever grain ours one month out of the year: when they are kidding and need the extra energy. The rest of the year they browse and eat hay.

Goats are funny, people either love them or hate them!

danceronice
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:08 AM
Awww, I love goats. (Admittedly I haven't owned one a while.) It's sheep I can't stand. I would never have sheep unless I had enough land to turn them out and never bring them in unless it was shearing or lambing time!

WaningMoon
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:09 AM
I just recalled a funny goat story, well funny in a way and only cause it turned out well, it could just as easily have not.

I had a huge rock, as in this one,http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/Born2Bloom/horses/hannah.jpg. It was at least 8 foot tall and at least 15 feet across, a huge boulder. It had a crack that ran down threw it but we never dreamed it big enough for a goat to fall down into. And it happened. The goat was a bottle baby about two weeks old. He somehow got just right and fell down there. I looked in from the side and could barely see him. There was water down there. I was freaking. I was afraid he would drown. I called the vet. I called some friends who lived up the road who are good with figuring things out. There was no way to move hte rock, it was solid and huge. We tried to get a noose on the end of a stick around his neck. By this time Im crying. I went inside and called the fire dept(thinking they may have some special tool that could help). I told them I had a kid stuck down inside of the huge boulder in my backyard , which was familiar to anyone who lived in the area. Ppl were always slowing down to see the goats playing on that huge rock. I was not lying, it was a kid, literally. Just because they assumed child, wasn't my fault.

They were anxious to try to help, the vet had arrived. But in the end, and thankfully soon enough to save him, my friend got the noose on the goats leg and we were able to pull him out from the side of the rock. Poor little guy was all wet and scared. But the vet immediately wrapped him in the blanket I had out there and she ran into the house with him. WE laid him on the heat register and turned the furnace on. IN no time he came around and was fine. We packed that crack as full of small rocks and cement as we possibly could.

And my friend who worked on the fire squad said my "kid in the rock" call was the topic of discussion at the next several meetings. They were not mad at all and were glad to try to help. It also brought about serious discussion as to what the hell they could ever do to get a child out from a situation such as that. It would be hard. No one has ever come up with an answer as far as i know. You obviously can't blow up the boulder with a life inside of it. It was just one of those freak unexpected things and thankfully it ended well. Never underestimate the trouble a goat can get into.

hellerkm
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:16 AM

OH my gosh that would have won you at lease 10k on funniest home videos LOL!!
I have three pygmy goats and we LOVE them they are well behaved ( of course they live in a field with a 6 foot high chain link fence) and they LOVE my kids, they are the Easiest pets I have EVER had, all I do is throw in a bale of hay and clean out their run in shed and we are done. no fuss no muss! I can't think of any other pet ( including a cat) that is easier to care for and brings us so much enjoyment, they run and play and buck and call to us in the morning and are really just good pets for my kids. !!!

PineTreeFarm
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:19 AM
Many years ago we had a goat at the barn I boarded at. It originally came from the next door neighbors who had 'rented' the goat for the summer.
The plan was it would mow the lawn for them.
At the end of the summer the owners of the goat did not return to retrieve it. No surprise there. So the people who thought they were renting it asked if it could live at the barn. The barn owner said yes and that started years and years of goat horror.
It would jump off the roof from the hayloft and corner people in the parking lot. It ate tack boxes, it drank motor oil.
One time I was holding it for the vet and innocently asked how long did goats live. The answer was 'way longer than you'd like them to'.

maunder
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:20 AM
hee hee :lol:

I LOVE my goats. I have five. :yes: Just this morning I was smiling a HUGE sappy smile at my little Nigerian Pygmy wether, Gimli, who was doing his Rodeo Goat impression (consists of leaping and twirling at the same time). Then Gimli played with my mule, Naughty Martha Marietta from high on his picnic table.

I was the recipient of three goat kisses from my Isobelle GoLightly the Beautiful Goat and two hugs from my La Mancha boys and gave hugs to Isobelle's mom Narcissa.

Sorry...... :D.......but I LOVE my goats! :lol:

Louise
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:55 AM
And, where are the pictures, maunder?

heatherny2
Dec. 16, 2009, 01:03 PM
Goats are evil and attack in packs. They have been known to devour small children.

Don't be a victim!!!:D;)

I lost Yoda a few years ago - but he had the oddest habit. I let everyone out in the mornings in winter, and would start to clean stalls.

Yoda would jump in the empty wheelbarrow and lay down. I had to take him for a ride in the wheelbarrow - round and round the barnyard. Then I'd stop and he'd stand up and jump out.

We did that every morning in the winter.

I miss that goat.

That website is my support group!! I am literally terrified of goats! :yes: I have never met a goat that did not attack me...no matter how cute and sweet someone said their goat was, as soon as it's evil eyes spotted me, bam, attack! I was chased back and forth on someone's front porch when I was a kid and the thing just kept butting me in my stomach..I was so scared I couldn't even scream.:eek: I can't even take my kids to a petting zoo without getting freaked out.
Yep, devil's spawn they are. Created in the devil's image!! :o

Hilary
Dec. 16, 2009, 02:00 PM
About ten years ago we had the bright idea to get a few goats to eat the section of pasture the horses weren't dealing with because it was overgrown.. So we got 3 of the biggest Nubians anyone has ever seen. I didn't know much about them, and thought all Nubians were larger than your average shetland pony. Apparently that's not true. These are monster sized.

I also thought that the bigger goats would be easier to fence in than smaller goats. Again, not true.

After 6 years of attempts at various fencing I gave up. About that time they got old enough that all they wanted to do was hang out in the barn. they don' like water so I think if I'd put in a moat it might have worked. For a while anyway.

How long do goats live? A whole lot longer than I thought. According to a website the average age for a Nubian is 9-12. How come ours are nearly 14??

And all that eating of things the horses didn't care for? eh.... They wanted a barcalounger and a TV. Even when we didn't feed them they didn't really make much of a dent in their pasture.

JoZ
Dec. 16, 2009, 02:17 PM
I love goats! My first experience was at a boarding barn, where "Louie" roamed free and -- as far as I could tell -- stayed out of trouble. When I would chat with the BM, Louie would position himself so that he was in the conversation too, and look back and forth at us as we were speaking with that wise, comical, "I understand everything you are saying" look on his face.

The BM turned out to be Not What She Seemed and I had to move my horse suddenly. I went once to check on my horse and Louie was still there. I arranged it with my new barn to bring Louie along, but when I went back with the trailer he was gone. I hope he met a kind end -- perhaps he hasn't met his end yet at all and is entertaining another barn.

I got a goat of my own but she was beheaded by forces unknown. I throw that out lightly but you'll have to imagine and believe how traumatic THAT was. Especially the "forces unknown" part... animal? human? chain/fence? I'm almost to the point where I'd get another one but my friends who were with me through that tragedy have forbidden it.

Marci
Dec. 16, 2009, 02:32 PM
I got my Nana to keep my mare company. Now when I got her I didn't really know how she would react, but she loved baby animals and was really patient with them (And a great mother too)so I told her she was getting a baby. Well she must have been listening because when she saw that little goat she started running around and nickering to it like she did with her foal.
I had a tough time getting her far enough off the fence to open the gate and she was all over that "baby" trying to mother it. LOL She even assumed the nursing position for little Nana, its a good thing that she couldn't reach.
I really like having a goat, since now my mare is not to herd bound-doesn't care what the other horses do as long as her little "baby" is in sight she is fine. I have taken Nana camping, she lives 24/7 with horses, I had to board her out for a while and she was treated by the whole herd like she was a special needs foal. LOL And yes it was REALLY REALLY funny to watch in the morning and evening when the horses were put out or taken in for the night this goat legs flying trying to keep up with the horses and they were dodging around her ever so careful to not step on her. She even had a babysitter mare for when I took her "momma" out riding. There too they had a colt born and she would go out and play with him, they wanted to keep her cause she was such a funny little girl.
I got electric fences when I moved to my own place. But I somehow didn't get the bottom two strands hot. She kept getting out and the neighbor dogs kept getting in. But as soon as I got that figured out I delighted in the yelps of dogs and goats as they found out they were not able to cross the line. There wasn't too much danger for the goat...Her momma took care of the dogs if they got too fresh. But then she was raised with dogs so knew how to take care of them too. My own dog was scared of her as she would butt her hard when she saw her. They are good buddies now. I used to take her riding with me loose along with the dog, but she discovered the elderly neighbor and fell in love.... it didn't hurt that he had a lovely garden but she really liked him. After that she gets to the end of the dirt road and that's it. So she stays home now. We back right up to a national forest so no traffic hardly at all. And even that is done a t very low speeds due to the bumpy dirt/gravel road. Hubby hates it but I LOVE it.
Now Nana hates to get wet and that can be a real problem for an Oregon goat. LOL She is pretty much stall bound when its raining. And even after 6 years together Shadow my mare still thinks of Nana as her baby.
But I sure wouldn't want more than one, cleaning corrals can be a challenge when she goes over to the wheelbarrow and knocks it over, or walks in front of me as I am pulling/pushing it, But she really just wants to be petted and scratched.
I think goats are a lot like cats. Independent as heck but when they are in the mood can be quite loving. But they sure like to play games.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/07-15-09_1609.jpg

Cheyenne is my Jumper
Dec. 16, 2009, 02:48 PM
We have an Alpine her name is Magnolia....she is the biggest pain in the a$$. She is cute and we love watching her antics. Her downfall is that she is a PIG! knocking over grain cans...sticking her horned head in the horses' feed buckets even as I scream NO and chase after her lol. She never gets fed you know ;). I love it when she runs.... she's so fat its just hysterical to see..and she thinks she's a pony, was raised with mine and is part of the herd.

Pictures from last week...Yes she has a coat she gets cold!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=30668921&id=141400292&fbid=514541668625

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=30668928&id=141400292&fbid=514541703555

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=141400292#/photo.php?pid=30668929&id=141400292

2DogsFarm
Dec. 16, 2009, 03:17 PM
Since I moved to my farmette I have wanted a goat.
Every year I go to Fair and ooh & aah over the cute goatlings.

Now I have Sam, all by his lonesome on my 5ac...
I was thinking a goat would keep him company.

The only caprine experience I have is a billygoat that I rode as a kid - he was kept with a herd of Shetlands but a whole lot easier for a bunch of horsecrazy 9yos to catch & ride.
We'd hold on to his horns to "steer" & go for the Wild Ride :D
Of course, if Billy got you off, you had better be able to roll under the nearest fence or he'd butt your butt but good!

Years later, I boarded at a place that had a pair of wethers - both so godawful fat people were always asking when they would kid.
They were menaces, eating anything & everything not nailed down or stowed out of goat-reach.
I almost lost a pager to one of them!

The Hate Them stories here made me pause, but the Love Them ones have made me reconsider in favor of a goat at 2 Dogs.
Go Goats!

MistyBlue
Dec. 16, 2009, 03:43 PM
Well I have heard that goats are the only remedy for kudzu. And they *are* amusing...when they're nnot turning your hair gray or off on another escaped walkabout. :)

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Dec. 16, 2009, 03:57 PM
Well I have heard that goats are the only remedy for kudzu.

Really? I didn't know that. But I guess goats might be fast enough to get away from kudzu before it ate them.:winkgrin:

I'm thinking about getting some goats myself. Yeah, I know. But I have border collies so won't be completely defenseless against them. :lol: I desperately need something to eat down all that extra pasture that my old horse can no longer digest.

How many strands of electric rope fencing do y'all think I'd need? I've got three right now - and escaping goats would have to go a long way to get off my farm.

Hilary
Dec. 16, 2009, 04:03 PM
We had electrified Chicken wire - right down to the ground and 4 feet high. They either went under it or climbed it. The shock stopped them only for half a day. Then one barged through and the others just followed.

They are sweet. They are cute. They don't bite, (but yes, occasionally they butt) but when they want to go somewhere and they weigh more than you do, it doesn't matter if you're holding onto their collar. They're going and you're going too until you let go.

And they don't get along with the horses. It's mutual.

philosoraptor
Dec. 16, 2009, 04:08 PM
Your goats are ADORABLE! :lol::lol::lol: Maybe you don't think so, but I do.

My hay farmer has a bunch of goats. He doesn't try to fence them in. They wander his farm, which is only partially perimeter-fenced. They learned where the food, shelter, and other goodies were, and I have never seen them wander out on the road or into his planted fields. So maybe your guys are just complaining that the stuff they want is outside of the fenced area?

The captured hand trick is cute though. I wonder if they planned that out in advance.

threedogpack
Dec. 16, 2009, 06:03 PM
Oh man, Waning Moon...that was really funny. Glad it turned out ok

f4leggin
Dec. 16, 2009, 10:10 PM
I love mostly the milk and cheese I get from my goats. I have 11, mostly Alpines or Alpine/Nigerian crosses. Once you figure out how to fence them - it's a no brainer. In the summer I close up the barn and let them out to graze my farm. On the rare occaision they have escaped into the barn at night, it's been a disaster. Hopefully by April I will be milking 7 and have lots of babies.

BTW - ask my 7 and 8 year old boys about the most dangerous animal on the farm... The bull, cows, steer, pigs (maybe), horses - no - they will tell you it's the goats. In fact my black devil goat attacks any strangers that come into her pen (rears up and butts). Can't seem to cure her of that habit.. And if someone she doesn't know milks her - she gives them the full treatment - ie: go ahead and milk awhile, when we are almost done, I'll be happy to stick my foot in the bucket and kick to be sure it spills all over you.

But, I do love them. I think they are somehow related to cats...

Jill

Invite
Dec. 16, 2009, 10:59 PM

Huh???

Luis Gonzales is colored like a Rottie, but mostly black. He just has little tan ears, some tan on his legs & a little tan on his tail. If I put a little red cape on him, he could indeed be Satan. Here and there he has good days. It's pretty sad when my mother asks me if the goats are nearing their life expectancy!

JollyBadger
Dec. 17, 2009, 12:14 AM
Oh goodness. . .I need to print this whole thread out and show it to my boyfriend.

He has a 14 year old goat, originally bought as a companion when he only had one horse. Well, horses have come and gone and Goat is still there.

The poor thing doesn't really even have a name. . .just Goat. . .though I've recently nicknamed him Geico because he's always following me around and watching with those big, creepy eyes. :eek: I even downloaded the "I always feel like somebody's watching me" ringtone for my phone and, along with a close-up photo of the goat, that is what comes up when my boyfriend calls me. :winkgrin:

Generally, Goat just hangs out in the pasture with the horses though he can also get under the fence in some sections. He isn't allowed in the aisle of the barn, because he just poops all over the place and makes a mess of things. So, we built a "goat gate" to keep Goat out while still allowing some air to flow. Goat was apparently insulted, and took out his frustrations by going all the way up to the house and pooping all over the concrete patio, then eating all of the flowers in the planters.

Cute? Nooooooooo. . .amusing, yes. But not cute.

buschkn
Dec. 17, 2009, 04:42 AM
I think they are cute and amusing, and I will NEVER have them again. I got two to keep my srugerized stall rest horse company.

Hilarious but into everything and soooo annoying.

It's like having a monkey with hooves- they climb and poop EVERYWHERE! One of mine even climbed up on top of some big industrial shelves and hopped up on the radio when my back was turned for about 30 sec.

She also jumped onto the hood of my mom's Jag as soon as she pulled up, right after I yelled "Butterscotch don't you even think about jumping on that hood" and up she went.

Mercifully I found a nice family with a couple kids and a few goats already who took them. I am hoping they still have a good home but good lord, I couldn't take it anymore. I only had them a couple months.

maunder
Dec. 17, 2009, 06:23 AM
The BM turned out to be Not What She Seemed

That sounds like a murder mystery title!

mkevent
Dec. 17, 2009, 09:43 AM
OMG this thread is so funny!!

I always wanted a pygmy goat but I guess it may be better to live vicariously through these stories.

JSwan-I love your story about wheelbarrowing your goat around the farmyard!! What a great mental image-that made my night.

Goats do sound like their personalities are a lot like cats. I think you have to really have a good sense of humor to love cats and/or goats. Or love punishment. It is funny to me that in a room full of people, cats will always go and sit in the lap or either the cat hater or the person allergic to cats- are goats the same way?(well, not the lap sitting part-the quiet torturing part).

I do remember a veterinarian telling me once that goats don't get sick- they're either alive and last forever or they're dead-nothing in between.

rmh_rider
Dec. 17, 2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks Camohn

I love all the chicken tales. They are so funny! I try to keep up with all posts on chickens because they are so funny.

Chicken tales, ha hahaha. Makes my day.

JSwan
Dec. 17, 2009, 10:22 AM
I do remember a veterinarian telling me once that goats don't get sick- they're either alive and last forever or they're dead-nothing in between.

Alas, that seems to be true.

Yoda has since died - long before his time poor thing. He was a very funny goat.

Mr. Goat is all I have left. The two pygmy's died quiet suddenly - they were very very old and died of bloat. Emma was doing much better - I thought she would pull through. So did my vet. But..... she died in my arms while the vet was working on her again.

When Mr. Goat was a kid I boarded a horse that didn't like goats - so like a true redneck I gave Mr. Goat free range of the back yard.

He spent his time in the shade on the back steps, and ate the peaches off my peach tree. He'd burp up the pits and I'd hear this - urp - squeak- ptow - ping. And I knew another pit had sailed across the yard.

After the horse left - I put Mr. Goat in the pasture. A few weeks later I heard a knock at my door - it was the meter reader. He asked if my goat was ok.

Turns out the year that Mr. Goat had lived in the back yard - he'd become friends with the meter reader. The meter reader was worried something had happened to Mr. Goat since he wasn't on the back steps (near the meter) and had knocked to inquire. :lol:

Don't get me started about the chickens.....

PRS
Dec. 17, 2009, 11:47 AM
My vet hates my friend's big gray mare. Every time she calls about a problem he always asks "It's not the gray, is it?" He has always been concerned that he would get hurt by a horse not be able to work and my friend's gray mare seemed to be a good candidate to apply said "hurt". She is, um, unconcerned about who is in the way when she is intent on getting away from an approaching needle or tube of wormer. She has broken my friends hand and body slammed her more than once. One fall evening a few years ago I came home around10:00 pm to find my horse colicking and called my vet. The answering service answered and said that they would let the on call vet know about my call. I waited and waited but no call came. I called the answering service back twice and finally got a call back. Seems another vet was supposed to be taking calls but wasn't answering like he should so my vet said he'd come. When he got out of the truck I could tell something was wrong and he told me that he "broke his arm" and I would have to help him. No problem, when I asked how he broke his arm he said that his vet tech was out of town and he was watching her goats and when one of them was spotted "not acting right" he went to check on it. It was apparently a rather large billy that didn't want to be caught. The vet tried to stick his arm out in front of it to stop it as it ran by....he said the thing never even slowed down, just ran right through his arm. No broken bones but he showed me where his bicep muscle was bunched up in a ball...not normal. Seems when the goat ran through his out stretched arm it ripped the muscle away from it's moorings. He had to go through surgery followed by weeks of rehab. Now when he complains about the horse we just say, "Yeah but at least she's not a goat!"

Murphy's Mom
Dec. 17, 2009, 07:46 PM
I like my goats. Of course, I've only had them a few months. I have two Boer/Alpine brothers (one year apart). Hank is a bit pushy (he used to live with a large herd at my friend's house) but younger brother Hayden is very sweet. They live with Benny the turkey and they are weed eating machines! I'm going to teach them to drive and pull a cart to help me with chores.

Hank
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2838668880037308760ULgbMh

Hank in training
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2650443930037308760XbdBwA

Hayden
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2152536620037308760yDlvXo

The Boys
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2741392440037308760ttQiPj

SkipChange
Dec. 17, 2009, 08:17 PM
This thread is HILARIOUS! I *thought* about getting a goat for my horse as a companion because he almost killed his pasture mate in August (literally, the horse's chest wound still isn't closed) and fights with every horse he can reach. He got put on private turnout with no shared fence lines, closest one is probably 20 feet away. His old owner said he was very eccentric and has a history of naughty behaviors, told me he LOVED cows but would settle for a goat. BO refused to talk to me for 2 days when I mentioned that we might try a goat. "Absolutely not!" she said.

caradino
Dec. 18, 2009, 10:47 AM
hahaha these stories are hilarious!!

i might print this out and give it to my boyfriend though... he wants to get a house with a bit of land and have goats because "they are cute and funny." i have not had much first-hand experience with goats, but i have taken care of sheep, which i do not like, and i know that goats are somewhat like sheep, only devilishly smart.

that, i do not want.

so i have been telling him IF we get goats they will be HIS goats!! i will have no part in the insanity of owning goats.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:30 AM
I think goats are cute and funny, and annoying and sometimes dangerous, so I'm fortunate to be living in a community where our deed restrictions have a "no goats" clause.

First there were the young goats at Girl Scout camp that tried to eat the seat of my good pants while I was wearing them. I was in the goat pen and they started nibbling before I could get out of the darned pen.

Then we had our own angora goats. The female was lovely, she had been a house pet of an elderly couple. Then my dad got the not-to-brilliant idea to breed her, and bought a male. The male was a horror show. The horses loved the female, hated the male - tried to kick and bite him every chance they got. Even the female would have nothing to do with the male goat. My dad gave them to the farm owner in lieu of a board check one month.

Then there was the goat at the self care boarding farm - owner bought it as a baby for her daughter, yes, he was adorable as a kid, grew up to be an obnoxious billy goat that would eat anything not nailed down (tack, paper, cigarette butts), and actually killed a kitten by laying on it on a pile of horse blankets. We actually loaded him into the horse trailer one day, and were going to just deposit him at the first goat farm we passed, but he kept trying to jump/climb out of the trailer before we even got out of the driveway. Not sure where he ended up.

Next (and last) goat also belonged to the BO of a full care boarding farm. He would ransack the horse supplements that the boarders had to put outside their horses stalls so that the staff could feed them, stole and ate boarding checks out of the mailbox on the office door, chewed leather tack, pooped anywhere and everywhere. BO did her best to keep him in a big dog pen, but if he got out - then havoc was sure to follow, and they would let him out at night after the barn was closed to boarders. He was also fond of chasing small children. BO finally wised up and took him to live on a goat farm.

I applaud any of you that do have goats, as I am sure they can be a lot of work.

onthebit
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:53 AM
We have four goats. Two goats are strays that showed up 13 years ago and are still with us. I guess they liked it here! Thsi year I convinced DH to get me two fainting goat kids for Valentine's Day. He did NOT want any more pets of any kind. He is head over heels for these fainting goats though. They are our babies and we absolutely adore them, the 'newness' has never worn off! They are smart, interactive, and so darn entertaining I can't imagine life without them.

eventersmom
Dec. 18, 2009, 12:14 PM
My daughter has wanted a goat from the day we bought our farm about 3 years ago. I always told her that we would end up with a goat "over my cold, dead body". Then I got a phone call from my friend that desperately needed a home for a nanny. Even though my husband told me that a REAL friend would never ask you to take a goat and that I must have done something to really anger my friend, we told her we'd take the goat.

First they told us the goat was a nanny. I didn't know nanny goats had huge, curling horns but, okay, I know nothing about goats so I figured it was fine. A couple of days after the goat arrived, my daughter came in and said "I think Lola is a Lloyd, she pees like a gelding." Ummmm...ok. No testicles so we did some internet research and figured out he is a wether.

This goat had zero human contact before he came to us. He ran around wild with a herd on human free pasture land. He had never seen horses or a fence. Okay, we can introduce said goat to horses, humans and fencing, right?

My daughter has worked with the goat every day and now he has a little goat crush on her. He sees her and makes that little behhh noise and follows her everywhere. he's devastated when she goes in the house. Daughter is going to college next fall. Do they allow goats in dorm rooms? No way he's staying here without her as he stares me down (no one told me goats don't break eye contact-creepy!) and he makes little threatening sneezing noises and stomps his little pointy hooves whenever he's near me.

My daughter renamed the goat Buddy. My husband and I call him "Effing". As in "Effing goat is out", "Effing goat is in the garden eating the tomatoes" and "Get that Effing goat out of my flowerbed".

He's kinda cute but I won't ever get another one. I can't get over the freaky eye contact thing. *shiver*

Murphy's Mom
Dec. 18, 2009, 12:36 PM
Here is an email from the friend who gave me Hank and Hayden. She has about 20 goats. You'll understand why I kept the email after you read it. :D Cora is her 100 lb lab with some, shall we say, small obedience issues. :lol:

Oh... that's a good one!
Now, how about this? True story..last night... Oh, what must my neighbors think???

I was just going to sort a few goats, give Hank some company...
Goats, especially little ones, and when you have a bunch (more than 2) rarely do what you want them to. And, of course, I was in a hurry.

I ended up with goats everywhere I didn't want them including a couple escapees into the driveway. That's when Cora got involved. I mean.. that's when Cora went into attack mode.... Cora wouldn't listen, and loose goats never listen. But, (sigh) I'm sure my neighbors were.

G** Da## you little B@$%@*%$!!! You're gona be screaming when I cut your throats if you don't get back in this pasture right now!!!!

Cora, I'm gona pull every last friggin tooth outta your head if you bite that goat one more time! Cora! CORA!!!! (Now throwing bucket at Cora)

Da##it Cora! Now you made me break my bucket! And where the HE!! do YOU (looking behind me at more goats) think YOU'RE going????

(Turning quickly) CORA! LET GO OF THAT GOAT! (Now beating dog with rope)

(Grunt, cuss) While dragging goat by hind leg back to pasture...

Slam gate, crunch finger in gate... cuss some more...

CORA! Da##it! STOP!!! (now hitting dog with sore hand)

Fine! Everyone can just stay where they're at! I'm leaving to go and have a good time riding.....

Alice
Dec. 18, 2009, 04:24 PM
Murphy's Mom - your boys are adorable! And how cool you are teaching them to drive.

We love ours. We haven't really had any troubles with ours. They are homebodies, respect the fencing, and are friendly. It does seem to be an inverse relationship between what goes in the front end and comes out the back though!

This is our herd matriach modeling her coat. We just had to euthanize her as she had a large tumour on her bladder: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2808745410085691191ZCtmZn

And our wether modeling his coat when he was a baby:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2600243990085691191mPqJyG

chai
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:13 PM
Misty, I almost ruined my keyboard with diet coke, I was laughing so hard at the picture of the devil goat!

I think goats are hilarious, but I've got my hands full with our mini donks. Plus when I was riding in college, my instructor told us a horrifying story about how her goat bit off the end of her finger when she was a kid. That was all I needed to hear about goats.
To the O/P, sorry about your hand! Hope it will feel better soon.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:47 PM
My daughter renamed the goat Buddy. My husband and I call him "Effing". As in "Effing goat is out", "Effing goat is in the garden eating the tomatoes" and "Get that Effing goat out of my flowerbed".

This really made me howl with laughter!

camohn
Dec. 18, 2009, 10:56 PM
I was passing the "second run cheap-o" movie theatre tonight and there is a movie listed called Men Staring At Goats. I thought of this thread and thought perhaps it should be Goats Staring At Men............

Laurierace
Dec. 19, 2009, 04:40 PM
Yes this is my goat but I had nothing to do with this. Apparently the farm owner where I board thought she needed protection from the storm. Like the 12 inches of blubber wasn't enough. My kids were tiny when we got her and they named her Princess. Apparently she took that name as a challenge.....

JSwan
Dec. 19, 2009, 04:44 PM
Where are y'all getting these nice goat coats? When mine were kids all I could find were foal blankets.

Laurierace
Dec. 19, 2009, 05:11 PM
That is one of the barn owners many dog blankets.

cajunbelle
Dec. 19, 2009, 05:33 PM
I bought a horse from a farm that also raised goats. We ended up buying this cute mare, despite the fact..... that a goat had eaten her tail. Nooooooooo goats for me, thank you!

Rubyfree
Dec. 21, 2009, 01:01 AM
I really like goats.
I decided I really liked goats after working at a barn that had three nigh-feral ones wandering around. There was "The Little One", "The Black One" and "The Big One".
One day I brought my rottie to work with me. She was a very good girl and had some livestock savvy, and had never harassed an animal before. She had also never seen a goat before.

So she chased the goats. The barn was sort of an 'H' shape, and she chased them down one aisle and up the other, around and around, The Little One and The Black One screaming in terror, me scrambling behind with a broom, hose and murderous intent to catch my dog before she caught the goats.
After a few minutes of this, The Big One was tired. The Big One was mad. The Big One screeched to a halt in mid flee, whipped around to face my rottie, puffed up her ruff and lowered her head and told my dog in very plain english to BRING IT ON. My 120 lb. dog weighed her options and tucked her tail between her legs before slinking behind me to hide.

So I like goats. They have cojones.

OneGrayPony
Dec. 23, 2009, 06:57 AM
Now I hear that the goats are trying to lure the gray pony to his death!

My mother's house is near the goat pasture. Apparently, the gray pony LIKES the goats (or else they are mesmerizing him and luring him in). So much so, that he keeps sticking his head into their pasture, and getting it stuck between the tape (which is currently not hot, due to a freak accident) and the wire mesh fencing.

Apparently pony, whose intentions I'm starting to question, will stand there like a fool, sniffing noses with the goats until his grandmother freaks out saying that he's "stuck" and goes to "rescue him from his plight".

I think they are brainwashing him, personally, those d*mn goats. I'm not sure what they are saying...but it frightens me.

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 23, 2009, 07:15 AM
Hubert the goat lived at the western barn across the road from me when I was a kid. His owners, George and Helen Hendry, let him ride in their station wagon, and he roamed the neighborhood. My father worried about his 200 camellia plants, but Hubert knew better. He would walk up to people at mailboxes and butt them.

My cousins and I used to ride the goats who lived next to my grandparents' farm. That was fun.

Goats like to walk on cars. I had friends in Roswell GA who kept milk goats, and I parked my car down their driveway. Others from the city parked up by the house for parties, and learned about goat hooves and car paint.

My aunt in Charleston gave Cloudy and Callie some beautiful soft goathair brushes one Christmas, and Cloudy was entranced by the hair. But when we later moved to a barn with goats, he spent his time chasing them out of his and Callie's paddock.

I learned from Hubert that owning a goat might not be any fun. And since Callie ignored goats and Cloudy abhors goats, I don't have to worry about getting one as a horse's companion.

lcw579
Dec. 23, 2009, 09:23 AM
I like goats in theory and to visit but I wouldn't want to live with one again - sort of like infants now that my kids are big. :lol:

I was terrorized by one at the barn when I was around 10. We taught him to butt heads despite being told not too by the grown ups. As he grew we children spent most of our time being chased up into the hayloft or tackroom as Billy still wanted to "play" but could now knock the snot out of us! He eventually went to live on another farm with goat friends and no children. Big sighs of relief all around.

JSwan
Dec. 23, 2009, 09:45 AM
I was terrorized by one at the barn when I was around 10.

Oh dear.

Another goat trauma victim.

My niece has one of the t-shirts. Yes, she learned the hard way when I said - don't turn your back on that goat!

gmv567
Dec. 23, 2009, 05:11 PM
Here is an email from the friend who gave me Hank and Hayden. She has about 20 goats. You'll understand why I kept the email after you read it. :D Cora is her 100 lb lab with some, shall we say, small obedience issues. :lol:

Oh... that's a good one!
Now, how about this? True story..last night... Oh, what must my neighbors think???

I was just going to sort a few goats, give Hank some company...
Goats, especially little ones, and when you have a bunch (more than 2) rarely do what you want them to. And, of course, I was in a hurry.

I ended up with goats everywhere I didn't want them including a couple escapees into the driveway. That's when Cora got involved. I mean.. that's when Cora went into attack mode.... Cora wouldn't listen, and loose goats never listen. But, (sigh) I'm sure my neighbors were.

G** Da## you little B@$%@*%$!!! You're gona be screaming when I cut your throats if you don't get back in this pasture right now!!!!

Cora, I'm gona pull every last friggin tooth outta your head if you bite that goat one more time! Cora! CORA!!!! (Now throwing bucket at Cora)

Da##it Cora! Now you made me break my bucket! And where the HE!! do YOU (looking behind me at more goats) think YOU'RE going????

(Turning quickly) CORA! LET GO OF THAT GOAT! (Now beating dog with rope)

(Grunt, cuss) While dragging goat by hind leg back to pasture...

Slam gate, crunch finger in gate... cuss some more...

CORA! Da##it! STOP!!! (now hitting dog with sore hand)

Fine! Everyone can just stay where they're at! I'm leaving to go and have a good time riding.....

OMG THIS IS THE BEST!!!!!