PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fence Tape - Wind Damage??

passinthru
Dec. 15, 2009, 05:41 PM
Hi, we are looking to purchase electric fence tape for our fields and mount it to wood posts. Our property gets a lot of wind in the winter as we sit on a ridge.

My questions are:
Has anyone experienced wind damage with their electric fence tape?

Has anyone deliberatly put a twist in your electric tape to help prevent wind damage?

Should I be looking at another fence alternative to the tape given our wind?

TIA!

dmalbone
Dec. 15, 2009, 06:24 PM
I've known people who had electric tape damaged because of the winds in Indiana (can be surprisingly strong at times) so I am going with coated hot wire (Centaur/Ramm type stuff). Aside from that... I want something that will keep them in even if the power fails. So, I can't answer your specific tape questions, other than suggest the coated wire to you because I've heard great things about it. :)

TimelyImpulse
Dec. 15, 2009, 06:44 PM
I've used the 1.5" tape for the last 3 years, and I leave it up year round. The wind will damage it after a while, and what happens is that the nylon will stretch, the wires will not, which breaks the connection. Very easy to fix, just cut each side (with scissors) and use a tape to tape connector to splice together-- you can even use two connectors if you need to lengthen that spot. I usually go around and visually inspect it, make sure to get the sags out by hand tensioning, and if I see any stretches, check them with the fence tester to see if the current is still going through. I also do put twists in at several spots where they get a lot of wind. One thing to watch for is snow/ice. Snow will accumulate on the fence and can drop it to the ground by its weight.

sk_pacer
Dec. 15, 2009, 06:47 PM
I have had tape shredded by high winds, but it it's gusty winds that do more damage than sustained winds, unless, said sustained winds are extremely strong. Some makers suggest you twist the tape a few times between posts to prevent the shredding, but most shredding occurs AT the insulators. I did get 5 years out of tape (don't ask, can't remember, was too long ago) but when it became more knots than tape I added regular poly wire to the posts and left the poor mangled tape up for visual aid. Where I am, it is almost always windy, a calm day here is what many would call breezy, and today, wind is blowing at around 25mph, just above normal, so if tape lasts here for 5ish years, it will last anywhere.

manyspots
Dec. 15, 2009, 07:04 PM
I have been using Horseguard electric tape for a year now. It survived an ice storm and the 3rd snowiest winter on record. It also did fine with the noreasters we experienced all last winter. The most I had to do was tighten once over the summer. No damages threads anywhere....

And two trees fell on it. Broke the insulators and not the tape. Trees removed and fence back up in minutes!!!!! LOVE THE STUFF!!!!!!

NoDQhere
Dec. 15, 2009, 07:33 PM
We too have Horse Guard, over 6 years now, and haven't had wind damage. And we get winds as high as 70 MPH fairly often. Horse Guard is actually designed with a "looser" weave to let the wind go through it. It is great stuff.

We do have a few places where we've put up the cheaper, narrow tape to mark an exsisting fence and I do twist that to prevent the wind from shredding it.

horsepoor
Dec. 16, 2009, 12:03 AM
I am another Horseguard tape user, and this is the third winter for mine. We get wind here, as I am at the mouth of the Columbia Gorge -- 30+ mph sustained winds and 50++ mph gusts. Mine has withstood all of this and is in great shape. I ran it straight, no twist, as that is how Horseguard recommends. Like someone mentioned, the loose weave is designed so the wind goes through it.

I have some temporary fencing (1/2" tape) that I put up to limit grazing areas or such -- it does okay in the wind, and it is twisted, although that is more just because it goes up that way (the twist isn't deliberate!). It gets moved around all the time as I change configurations and is just on little fiberglass posts -- not a permanent sort of thing at all.

cyndi
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:11 AM
My arena is fenced with Horseguard tape fence. We are 30 miles from Galveston and got hit full force when Hurricane Ike came through. We endured the 'eye wall' of the hurricane and had hurricane force winds for almost 10 hours straight.

The only result - my Horseguard fence was now nice and clean again - all mildew gone! LOL!

It's been up for probably 5 years and have had no trouble with twisting, sagging, etc. BUT, we do have it on wood posts, spaced about every 8 feet.

Romany
Dec. 16, 2009, 07:28 PM
What about using the electric rope, rather than the electric tape?

We're on a windy hill farm, and the rope has been way more successful than any tape.

horsepoor
Dec. 16, 2009, 10:56 PM
What about using the electric rope, rather than the electric tape?

I have boarded where they use electric rope -- 3 different places, no wait, I think 4 barns used it. It was never installed very well at any of them -- too long a stretch between posts, not using the right connectors or insulators, kind of cobbled together. So not a good representation, I'm sure, but all of it sagged, and while the wind might not take it down, it couldn't handle snow or ice. And personally, my horses that have gotten into the tape (few and far between) have come out in a lot better shape than those that got into the rope. I won't use it, and it is low on my list of fence types that I prefer when looking at boarding places.

Bluey
Dec. 17, 2009, 12:10 AM
We tried the tape, tight and with posts every ten feet and could not keep it up, the wind kept tearing it up.
We are very windy here.
You could try a small lenght and see what happens where you are.

equineartworks
Dec. 17, 2009, 06:58 AM
We have tried tape and rope, we live in a wind tunnel :lol:

Tape...lasted about a month and a half on the back paddocks. Since we spent $700 on that "experiment" we decided to try rope. We have simple Bayguard with an added single line of 1/4" rope. Our posts are spaced at 12 ft. The bayguard cost a whopping $200 and it's been out there for nearly a year and looks tight and brand new. It is so much nicer to look and it is much hotter. So far it has made it through dirt devils, snow devils, 4 or 5 almost tornadoes, and our normal winds of 10-15 mph with larger gusts.

Nanerpus
Dec. 17, 2009, 07:19 AM
We have extreme winds up on our hill here, and our tape is fine (had it up since this past spring). The winds are strong enough that our porta-potty for the construction workers working on our house was knocked over last night! (omg)!

Tape is fine though! lol! Very easy to use and fix and see.

shawneeAcres
Dec. 17, 2009, 07:31 AM
The Horseguard tape will not flip around, twist or be damaged in the wind. We have VERY STRONG winds here, and as long as it is installed correctly and kept tight (once a year) it is fabulous. However, NO OTHER brand of tape is like this. I ahve used other tape previosuly and it flips around in the wind, and is stretched out badly by wind and time.

pds
Dec. 17, 2009, 03:40 PM
Horseguard tape is the BEST! Mine has been up over ten years.

It is NOT the cheap stuff that you get at Tractor Supply and the like.

trubandloki
Dec. 17, 2009, 04:02 PM
I used horseguard tape and I have lots of breakage (the wires) at the insulators. My land is situated just right for winds I swear. It is always windy at my place. Sometimes the gusts are nasty.

I had to replace chunks after the first winter. It is a constant battle.

I have not tried the twist idea.

Murphy's Mom
Dec. 17, 2009, 06:17 PM
Another Horseguard user here. It's great stuff! Mine has been up for over eight years. No major issues and we have strong winds here plus plenty of ice in the winter. A neighbor up the road had the cheap stuff from the feed store. It was always sagging and looked horrible.

passinthru
Dec. 17, 2009, 09:57 PM
Thank you all for responding!

We are looking at Horse Guard Tape fence or the RAMM Electro-braid stuff on wood posts spaced 8 feet apart.

I like Bluey's idea of trying the fence out in a small area before deciding. :)

Thanks so much!

dmalbone
Dec. 17, 2009, 11:36 PM
We are looking at Horse Guard Tape fence or the RAMM Electro-braid stuff on wood posts spaced 8 feet apart.

No biggie, but just so you weren't misunderstood, I wanted to make sure you knew that Ramm doesn't make electrobraid- it's its own company. Just wanted to make sure you weren't confusing it with the coated hot wire.

Yip
Dec. 18, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'm another satisfied Horseguard customer!

Ours has been up for over 8 years and we haven't had to replace any of the fence tape. We/ve had lots of straight-line winds, hurricane force winds, and 1.5 years ago, a tornado ripped through a corner of our property taking down a gigantic tree. A lot of the big limbs were on the tape and the fiberglass lineposts were flat on the ground. Hubby cut the limbs off the fence, and the entire line sprang right back up! All we had to do was go to the ends and tighten it a little.

We've had lots of trees down on our fence, as our pastures are lined with mature trees. Same story. Cut the limbs off and the entire fenceline springs back up. In all that time, we've only replaced about 6-8 insulators. None in posts, just some mounted on tree trunks.

We tighten the fences 1x a year usually and they don't move much with the wind. If they're a bit loose, they vibrate but nothing happens. The day of the tornado, some insulators in the other pasture were sucked straight up, right off of the fiberglass lineposts. All we had to do was put them back on and all was well.

This Horsegurad stuff is fantastic. I would never ever opt for cheaper fence tape because our temp. pen is and doesn't hold up long. And HG is cheap anyway. The entire system is extremely reasonably priced.

Yip

Cielo Azure
Dec. 18, 2009, 05:59 AM
If you don't use horseguard, try going to a very narrow tape. I have had more problems with stretching with the 1.5 inch than with narrow widths.

The rope always sags and stretches more than the tape but even with the tape, stretch happens - (just tighten occassionally).