PDA

View Full Version : Anyone towing with the 03/04 Ford 6.0L? And, general truck info...

Heinz 57
Dec. 15, 2009, 02:59 PM
I know there have been some issues with the 03/04 6.0L, thanks to my good friend that works for Ford. He sold his 2003 earlier this year and it subsequently blew the turbo and then a head gasket not too much later. Apparently, it was a constant problem child then entire time he had it, but it also had quite a few aftermarket modifications so he can't entirely blame Ford.

Does anyone here have one and use it for regular hauling? Has it been reliable? I'm going to be truck shopping very shortly - sometime in February. I'm looking for newer, used trucks - I *could* afford new, but realistically it is unnecessary and I don't want to strap myself with a payment. There are a LOT of these trucks out there for sale, which I'm sure has something to do with the issues they've had. I just don't want to buy myself an unreliable, problem child - I do a LOT of showing (anywhere from 10-30/year) and even more hauling out for XC schooling and lessons, plus this will be my ONLY vehicle. I'm selling my MINI - I don't live far from work (<5mi) and the horses will be at home.

I want a crew/4 door cab, short bed, diesel. I might consider an extended cab if the truck was otherwise absolutely perfect, but I regularly show and haul with at least one other person, so between the coolers, clothes, and other gear, those rear doors are a real plus. And I would consider a manual transmission, as well - in fact, that would be a plus for me.

Calvincrowe
Dec. 15, 2009, 03:51 PM
No comment on reliability, but I'd opt for a long bed, if one can find that. More space for hay, wheelbarrow, etc. I can put a ton of hay on my F350 long bed, extra cab. When showing, I can fit a week's worth of hay, my big manure cart and a trunk in the bed.

I like my extra cab, with rear doors. A crew cab is nice, though, if you need space for passengers.

Guilherme
Dec. 15, 2009, 03:54 PM
By the Grace of God I've never owned one these Papa Oscar Sierras.

But my tennant did. It spent at least as much time in the shop as it did in her drive and left her on the side of the road at least three times (I know 'cause her husband borrowed my Chevy truck to go and get her).

There's $500 Million in litigation between Ford and International over these trucks. At least several hundred were repurchased by Ford under various "lemon laws."

Maybe the later years were better (some say they are).

My recommendation on buying one of these things? To quote The Duke: "I wouldn't!" :)

G.

Heinz 57
Dec. 15, 2009, 04:07 PM
Good to know. :)

I'm hoping I can find a 99-01 7.3L turbo... I've seen a few crew cabs, all long beds though, but decent mileage and fit the rest of my req's. Any thoughts on those, Guilherme? :)

I guess I wouldn't mind the long bed, but seeing as I live near the city and do a lot in town - the less behemoth I have to park, the better. I got pretty good at it the last time I had a truck, but crew cab + long bed? oh, dear. I can think of at least half a dozen parking lots I wouldn't even be able to DRIVE around, let alone park in. All new developments, of course. Strange how everyone drives the big SUV's and trucks nowadays, yet the parking lots and spaces have shrunk.

mjrtango93
Dec. 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
I have an '03 6.0L diesel. Bought it new off the lot August of 2003 and have towed all the time with a big heavy trailer since. It drives like a champ! Did lose a Turbo once, but it was replaced under warrantly at almost 70K which is apparently how long they last anyways. The only big problem I had in the beginning with the truck was a bent rim, that looks like it came out that way. Had some suspension issues and went through a set of tires before my current mechanic figured it out. Ford ended up buying me 2 new tires, paid for half the rim (neither one of us could prove the other bent it), and then the dealership that fixed is gave me a huge break on fixing the suspension, and did the alignment on their buck. Overall I'm incredibly happy with the truck!

Guilherme
Dec. 15, 2009, 05:34 PM
The same tennant who got rid of their Papa Oscar Sierra 6.0L International replaced it with a '99 7.3L crew cab (LB, 4WD). So far all it's needed is periodic oil changes. :cool:

There is an issue with the "cam position sensor" on the 7.3s. If it fails then you're stuck. But I understand it's an easy fix. Lots of owners carry a spare with them (along with a spare fuel filter, spare fuses, etc.).

I don't know about her milage. I suspect it's in the mid-teens, as the truck is large and heavy. It takes energy to move pounds. ;)

Personally I find the long bed truck much more useful. It does make a crew cab vehicle into a "land yacht" but that space is very useful when going to Home Depot, Tractor Supply, the feed store, etc.

The words for today on this are "shop around." I replaced my '99 Chevy (3500, crew cab, 4WD, gasser) with an '08 Chevy Duramax (CC, 4WD, LB, LT series very well set up for towing) with 7500 miles on it for $31,500 (almost $8000 under blue book). The truck was a "creampuff." The seller was anxious to sell and I was ready with the cash to buy.

I rejected the Dodge at the time because of Chrysler's very unstable financial position. I'm not sure I'd do anything different today. I rejected Ford as the 6.4L engine was still new. I also did not like the fact that the Ford engine compartment was very crowded, suggesting that even simple maintenance tasks would be very expensive because to get to Item A several Items B, C, D, etc. would have to be moved. I understand from some folks I know with Fords that this is true in many instances. I don't own a Ford so I've no direct information. I've not had any maintenance issues on the Chevy in 15,000 plus miles so I that is still in the future for me.

I was also a little "goosey" about Fords as they have had three completely different engines in 10 years and are about to introduce a fourth, named "Scorpion." The Ford boosters are all agog about this, but then they were also enthusiastic about the 6.0 International. In practical terms that means the 6.4L engine will be an "orphan" in a year or two. The impact of this on resale is unclear.

Sadly there are no real "consumer report-type" resources for one ton trucks. They are considered commercial vehicles by most folks that that means "caveat emptor."

If you can find a good 7.3L then you will probably do OK.

Good luck in your search. :)

G.

BasqueMom
Dec. 15, 2009, 05:49 PM
You might want to expand the 7.3L engine search to include the 2003 year. It
was mid-year that they changed over to the 6.0. We have a 1996 F250 extended cab with the long bed 4x4. It now has 245,000 miles on it and very little problems. Yes, we did replace the cam sensor, and also an pump on the fuel system but other than that.........

JanWeber
Dec. 15, 2009, 07:05 PM
We have a late 2004 F-350 6.0L crew cab long bed that we bought new. Have 100K miles on it and so far, the only problem has been manuvering it into parking spaces. Also have a 2000 7.3L diesel extended cab long bed which is a fine truck as well, albeit a little louder and a little less comfortable...

Heinz 57
Dec. 15, 2009, 07:58 PM
I'm hoping to do just as you've suggested, Guilherme - Come February, I'll be walking around with cash in hand until I find the right one. I've a friend that is a mechanic, and has a 99 F350 of his own (though not for sale!) so I know I'll have someone reliable to check it out before I buy. I'd much rather buy from a private party. Cash talks. :)

'Comfortable' and 'quiet' aren't super high on the list of req's, in my case, Jan - I've been driving around in a MINI! Which, while not loud, has a pretty stiff suspension and though it is extremely roomy for a clown car, it IS still a clown car. :)

So I might have to re-consider the long vs. shortbed. I'd still like a short, but I won't say no to a long. And 4WD goes without saying, where I live. It rains 9-10 months out of the year, on a good year, which means parking in a lot of muddy fields at horse shows. It would also come in handy if we ever have another 'Arctic Blast' like last winter, or I have to go through the pass for some reason.

Calvincrowe
Dec. 16, 2009, 12:34 AM
I dream of owning a diesel. I have a '99 F350 V10 gas, long bed, extra cab. Runs like a top, hauls like a dream, no problems at all. I like Fords. I rank trucks like this: Chevy Duramax is the top. Ford comes next and Dodge ranks a distant third for me. That is based on personal driving experience, testimony from friends and personal preference. Terribly scientific and factual:lol:

My sister has my dream truck, however. '07 Duramax crew cab, long bed. Quiet, powerful, hauls smooth and easy.

In this economy, around Oregon, you'll find some nice, nice trucks for sale right now. Good luck!!

suz
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:47 AM
i've got a 02 diesel 7.3 liter f350 long bed which is my main vehicle. love my truck, though have had to replace the alternator too many times. ford just says, huh, that's weird, but i've been told my mechanics that ford knows full well there is a problem. my mechanic now replaces it under warranty every spring, and this solution has worked for the past two years.
wish i had gone for the full four door cab instead of the smaller back seat, and with my tapered nose gooseneck a shorter bed would have been fine.
i've got 152 thousand miles on it, and figure the body will rust out before the engine quits, so i drive it everywhere. i get 14 miles to the gallon, which sux, but the extra fuel is still cheaper than a new car payment for a more efficient vehicle. plus i feel safest in my one ton truck---i have a fighting chance of surviving if i tangle with another vehicle.

CatOnLap
Dec. 16, 2009, 03:26 PM
we bought a 2005 6 L, 4WD, diesel turbo, auto overdrive with tow-haul, F350 long box, crew cab, dually in 2007. LAND YACHT- LOVE THAT! We got it cheep because of the rep that the 03/04's had for blowing turbos, but we've not had a problem with the truck. It pulls a 27 foot gooseneck 3 horse straight up a mountain through 4 feet of snow if it needs to.

Apparently they redesigned the engine a bit in 2004 and the later 2004's and 05's did not have many problems.

yes, we put 62 bales on it the other day without feeling the load. ( that would be a ton and a bit)Yes it takes at least 2 parking spaces anywhere we go in town. Yes we love the luxury appointments.

whitmers
Dec. 17, 2009, 06:54 PM
I have an '00 F350 with the 7.3L powerstroke diesel engine, long bed, crew cab. It has been a great truck, never any issues, only routine maintenance. Lots of power, reliable, can pull anything and I love it. Several friends have offered to buy it if/when we ever want to "trade up" for a new one. Based on all I've heard about the newer engines, NO WAY. We will be keeping this one till it croaks (or we do).... If you can find one of these I'd say go for it.

Kaleigh007
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:07 PM
I have a 7.3 2003 F350 flat bed and love it. Has been very reliable. I do know that there have been all sorts of problems with the 6.0's and was told to avoid them.

Ja Da Dee
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:25 PM
hmmm... we have an 05 F250 6.0 extended cab (not the crew) short bed. It's been great, hauls like a charm and fits in the garage.

google is your friend, hubby spends a bit of time on various truck forums. What he's discovered is a LOT of people mod their trucks, then have trouble with them.

Apparently they redesigned the engine a bit in 2004 and the later 2004's and 05's did not have many problems.

I heard the same thing.

7.3 engine is a nice one too, we had to pass up on a very nice crew cab, long bed for a good price last year, it wouldn't fit in the garage.

ChocoMare
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:35 PM
We held out specifically for a 7.3L Turbo Diesel long bed because of the COTHers all saying the same thing. They were right. ;)

Our's is much older, tho....a '91. She won't win any beauty contests, but by golly that puppy hauls! 147,000 miles and still going strong. Every mechanic I know of says the same thing "You hold onto that truck maam."

I will :yes:

Kaleigh007
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:43 PM
The 7.3's seem to hold their value also. I bought mine in 06' for $23,000 and just checked KBB and it is priced at $22,050! That almost NEVER happens. Guess we got a better deal then we thought!

chai
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:31 PM
I have an 04 F350 with extended cab and full bed. While it hauls like a dream with our gn, we have had to replace a ball joint and the brakes and it only has 46,000 miles on it.
When I compare it to the trouble free 230,000 mile life our ancient GMC 1996 Suburban has had, I'm not so sure I'd buy a Ford again. When I had a Taurus wagon, I took perfect care of it. So much, that the guys in the service department knew me by my first name. When that car hit 120,000 miles, the engine head cracked as I was driving along at 35 mph, less than a week after a major service. The guys at the dealership told me Ford made them to almost self destruct over 125,000 miles. Funny, no-one mentioned that when I bought the car...
I'm not so sure I would buy a ford again.

Heinz 57
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:53 PM
Another question:

What would you consider as far as mileage on a used truck? Not gas mileage, but driven miles. Obviously this will vary based on the year, but for the sake of things lets say a 99-01 7.3 turbodiesel since that's what I'd like. I'm not looking at anything with an obscene amount - right now, I would be hard pressed to consider anything with more than about 120k, and even that is a stretch when I'm seeing others in my price range with <100k.

I know diesel is different, lots of people driving around in a truck with 200+k and still going strong.

SLW
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:02 AM
Just returned from a 2200 mile (roundtrip) road trip originating in KS to pick up a horse in central NC. Did the whole route in 44 hours driving her crew cab, 2003 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel- automatic, cummings engine & allison tranny. Oh my gosh, awesome truck and it puts my F250 V-10 to shame. That truck handled that God awful, switchback, hilly drive through West Virginia on 77 like it was a flat Kansas road. The truck has excellent acceleration and the allision tranny would "power down" on it's own as we made those tough decents on the mountains.

Super nice truck and we averaged 11 mpg pulling her trailer. When it's time to replace the Ford I will be looking at this type of truck.

Watermark Farm
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have several friends with the 6.0 L who have had too many troubles considering the low miles on their trucks.

After a lot of research (thanks COTH!!!), I searched for a truck with the 7.3L diesel. I finally found a cherry 1995 F250 with a 7.3 with only 116k miles on it for $6,000. Bought it from an elderly couple, the original owners. I took it to two separate mechanics to be gone over, but nothing was wrong with it. I regularly have men stop me and ask me if the truck is for sale. It's a towing workhorse. This 7.3 engine is very desirable. I get 18 mpg towing fully loaded w/2 horses on the highway.

I had been looking at newer trucks with the 7.3, but found that being willing to go with the older body style got me the same mileage truck for a ton less money. I was looking at trucks all the way into 2003 since they did make some trucks with the 7.3 in that year before switching motors.

craz4crtrs
Dec. 19, 2009, 12:39 PM
We've had a 1996 F250 diesel for 12 years and today it is going to a new home. :) Still a wonderful truck with only 113K miles, but we need a bigger back seat to haul adult kids and spouses and of course, our empty nester lab. :lol:

We have a hold on a 2006 F350 crew with the 6L. We debated between a newer truck with the 6.4L, but the 06 hasn't had the issues the earlier ones did. I love the new truck. It drives like a dream. My son in law knows trucks and with his advice we went with this model.

It should haul our 27ft fifth wheel trailer or my 3h slant horse trailer beautifully.

While the 7.3 is a powerhouse, the 3 speed auto tranny always feels like it needs that extra gear on going up hills. The 6.0 has two more. :)

I am excited....

TripleRipple
Dec. 19, 2009, 01:50 PM
We had the 2000 F350 crew cab, 7.3, and it did everything we asked it to do. Planned to keep it for life, but unfortunately a drunk neighbor hit it head on with his Dodge crew cab in a snowstorm - he was doing 50 and dh had just turned onto the main road, so going 10mph (front end v'd in like it should, no damage in the cab where dh was, airbag went off, saved his fricking life on that one, but the truck was finished).

Being the middle of winter here in this remote place, we needed a replacement immediately, & bought a new 2005 F350 diesel crew cab without doing any research. We either got lucky or this year isn't as bad, because I couldn't believe how peppy the 6.0 engine was, feels much more car-like to drive and yet it is one serious pulling/hauling machine for sure.

Ex: this summer we found some less expensive hay and decided to stock up (45+ tons). The first week in 90+ degree temps, dh hauled the 24' trailer with 6-6.50 tons loaded per day, for 5 days in a row, driving up and down steep paved roads 30 miles back from the hay guy's place, then coming up our 6 mile long main road which is nothing but dirt and some gravel, with switchbacks and lots of steep parts. Then another couple miles up our steep driveway. Went out the next week and finished up the hay hauling - if we couldn't have hauled so much per load, this would have taken a lot longer to do.

It can pull up to 7.5 tons + per load, but we try to avoid that just because we rock our road with large rock from our own pit here, and there is a 300 foot section near the end that is almost a 70% grade on which dh stupidly put some too large and rough rock, which will now chew up tires at that weight because you hit it coming out of a corner so you take it from almost a crawl (so to not lose tires, we just hook up the JD tractor and let it pull the truck/trailer up that last bit of hill if we are determined to get that much up).

It has been hauling like this since we got it - hay, horse trailer fully loaded, the 24' trailer loaded with wood, or heavy equipment (dozer, dump truck, etc) or building materials. Used to haul our 8' camper with the horses loaded in their trailer behind it to horse shows. We've had a couple of warranty issues, with seals in the front end leaking (turned out to be known issues that I've seen others mention). Fixed and returned and kept on trucking.

So no complaints with the '05 in the last 4 years we've owned it. It has surpassed what I expected so far.

wildlifer
Dec. 19, 2009, 05:10 PM
The 6.0L engine is notorious for problems and rightly so. However, not all of them are equally faulty and some run just fine with few problems. If you decide to buy one, GET AN OASIS REPORT. This will tell you if there are any warranty claims. If there were, investigate thoroughly. I also highly recommend the guys over at the ford-trucks.com forum (not affiliated with Ford), they know everything you want to learn about these. If you can find a 7.3L that has been well cared for, buy that instead.....

HHG-N
Dec. 31, 2009, 01:40 PM
I HAD an f-250 with the 6.0 until right before Thanksgiving when the engine blew up for the 2nd time. I would not recommend this truck to anyone. The 1st engine went at 104,000. How convenient for Ford! The 2nd engine only lasted 18k. They can't handle the heat that they produce. Stay away! (unless you want a $58,000 mistake like I have!)

hb
Dec. 31, 2009, 02:32 PM
Another question:

What would you consider as far as mileage on a used truck? Not gas mileage, but driven miles. Obviously this will vary based on the year, but for the sake of things lets say a 99-01 7.3 turbodiesel since that's what I'd like. I'm not looking at anything with an obscene amount - right now, I would be hard pressed to consider anything with more than about 120k, and even that is a stretch when I'm seeing others in my price range with <100k.

I know diesel is different, lots of people driving around in a truck with 200+k and still going strong.

I've been told that for the 7.3L diesel engine 100k miles is nothing. I've got a mid-90's dually crew-cab and love it.

I've also had great luck with Fords. I replaced my Explorer after 12 years and 270,000 miles (including plenty of towing at the top end of the weight range) and it was still running fine. Needed a new transmission at 240k but that didn't seem too bad.

TBDressage916
Dec. 31, 2009, 03:15 PM
SO refers to the newer fords as the "sick 6.0's" he has a friend with one who doesn't get to drive it because its always in the shop- 2 rear ends, turbo, this that... we have a 7.3 and have no plans of replacing it!

chai
Dec. 31, 2009, 03:21 PM
I have a 2004 F350 crew cab with a long bed. It has just over 42,000 miles on it and we have taken excellent care of it since we bought it new. Cons: we've had to replace the brakes and the front ball joints. It's not the truck to take to the grocery store or a crowded mall, although one day I was dropping the kids at the movies and a total dude came up to me and said, 'That's one mother **** ing awesome truck." It was kind of an odd thing to say to a 50 year old Mom with a truck full of kids but I took it as a compliment.

The pros: it is great to be high up off the road and I love the crew cab. I like to buy my own hay out of the field when I can, so I love the room to stack a ton of hay with no problems. It also hauls like a dream with our gn.

I'm not a huge fan of Fords, though. The engine block cracked on my Taurus Wagon at 120,000 miles even though I babied that thing so much, the guys at the Ford dealership and I were on a first name basis. They admitted that Ford made them to self destruct around 120,000 miles. What a piece of junk compared to our ancient GMC Suburban or mr. chai's little German prima donna that are still going strong at 260,000 miles each.

CatOnLap
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:02 PM
'That's one mother **** ing awesome truck." It was kind of an odd thing to say to a 50 year old Mom

Haha I get that one all the time as I fill up at the station. It takes a LONG time to fill the truck up and all the guys go green until they see the final bill.

I am not a fan of gmc nor of mercedes, having put close to $6000 in repairs on the 4 year old mercedes since it went off warranty last summer at 50,000 miles, and having to replace the entire front end and all four brakes and all four shocks and struts of the suburban at 65,000 miles- which the mechanic told me was commonplace for that truck and that it was designed to need it at 60,000 miles. My friend's volvo went 85,000 miles and then died with a cracked block.

Whereas the last 3 ford trucks I've owned have gone a quarter mill each without major repairs and have been sold on to others who enjoyed the hell out of them for years later.

I do think its a case of "they don't build 'em like they used to". My older 1980 mercedes went 300,000 miles without major repairs, although every chevy I ever owned needed front end work by 70,000 miles. We'll see how long this 2005 F350 lasts- it has 60,000 miles on it now.

craz4crtrs
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:36 PM
Well, we didn't get the 06 F350 we were looking at, not because it was a dud, but because it had body damage underneath the dealer hadn't told us about.

So, we are still on the truck hunt for a 2006-2007 F350 crew long bed. There are a few F250 crew long beds, but not as many. We are really picky, so this could take awhile. :D

My hubby doesn't like the dash in the 2008++, and the fact the 6.4 was in its first year of production. From what we've read and asked around, the last couple of years of production, 06 & 07, the 6.0 is very reliable.

Meanwhile, I am truckless, but since we have snow and ice, not really a problem. :sadsmile:

wlrottge
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:20 PM
When we got our '01 7.3 F350 SRW, CC 4wd, I had an option on a '05 F250 w/the 6.0 for the same money (dealer friend). Both were Lariats with all the options, but we went with the 7.3 b/c of the reliability.

The 03 and 04 6.0's had issues with the high pressure oil pump (composite vanes), EGR, turbo and head gaskets. In '05 they put a new high pressure oil pump in and a bracket to fix another small problem on the oil lines. Most of the turbo problems were resolved once the US made the switch to ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel). The old low sulfur diesel fouled the variable geometry workings of the turbo and caused a lot of problems.

The newer trucks still have EGR and headstud/gasket problems. I believe the 6.4 has been better, but I'm looking forward to the 6.7. That might be my first new-new truck purchase. The 6.7 is spec'd to have 725 ft-lbs of torque and will have a common rail fuel injection system (more reliable).

As far at the 7.3 goes, mine has 130k and runs like a top. I've got an exhaust, mild chip and gauges and it just pulls! My father's 7.3 has 270k on it, looks like new and runs just as well. We both keep spare cam position sensors with us, but otherwise, I love mine. I will definitely get a F350 SRW again, i like the extra stiffness.

weasel1088
Jan. 6, 2010, 03:18 AM
Seems like im the only dodge boy around here.

I absolutely love my dodge. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Its a 99 2500 quad cab longbed 4wd. 5.9L diesel with a 5spd trans.

I truly believe the inline 6 cylinder cummins beats out any V-8 diesel. first off its a medium duty engine compared to the others (duramax and powerstroke) which are light duty. less parts, better torque curve, larger components=stronger. tons of 500k engines.

I would strongly consider any dodge with a 5.9L cummins. im not too sure about the new 6.7L solely based on gas mileage, just not as good as the 5.9 (although it can be easily equaled out by removing the diesel particulate filter)

anyhow, i have over 300k miles on mine and it still feels like new. use it to tow a 3 horse gooseneck. plus i dont carry around any spare parts knowing something is bound to fail on me! :)

someone mentioned their turbo failing at 70k miles and thats normal??? what happens when your warranty runs out and you have to repair a turbo?

weasel1088
Jan. 6, 2010, 03:36 AM
This 7.3 engine is very desirable. I get 18 mpg towing fully loaded w/2 horses on the highway.

18mpg with a trailer....... :no:

tcgelec
Jan. 6, 2010, 06:26 AM
I have an '03 Excursion with the 6.0 PSD engine. 102,000 miles now with very few problems. At the time I bought it, (in '04) I had heard the horror stories also, but the Ford dealership threw in the extended warranty at no charge so I went for it...and never had to use the warranty.

I plan on keeping it forever, as there is currently NO other vehicle (large SUV, diesel) that is comparable. Ford discontinued the Excursion in '05 and "replaced" it with the Expedition XL (which is based up the F150 chassis vs. the F250 chassis for the Excursion)...the two vehicles don't really compare, and no diesel is available.

The reasons I bought the Excursion over a pick-up are that where I live (Long Island) we have roads called state parkways on which there are many restrictions. No commercial vehicles, no trailers, and no pick-ups over 5,500 lbs, which means anything capable of hauling horses. My Excursion is considered a "suburban" for registration purposes, so legal on parkways even though 7,800 lbs. Even though I can't use the parkways when hauling (no trailers) I can still use them in my daily driving, which is a HUGE benefit at times.

The seating for 8 adults has come in handy at times also. But the biggie has always been the amount of enclosed space available when at horse shows. A place to put your feet up and chill during long waits between classes/phases.

I never need more than a 2H so bumper pull works OK for me. I do a lot of horse shows in the spring/summer/fall, do volunteer hauling for a rescue, and make a 1,300 mi roundtrip twice yearly to pick up/deliver DD's horse at college.

All in all, very happy with my purchase.

f4leggin
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:25 AM
I had a 2003 6.0L f350 that I loved and it hauled really well - as long as it didn't blow a turbo on your trip - we had that happen twice. Eventually, it seemed all the turbo's blew, and that problem went away.. They were all covered under warrentee - but getting stuck with a trailer behind you out of state is no fun, at least it wasn't horses we were towing when they blew.

I sold my 2003 last year with less than 100K miles on it for 8500 - so if you buy one make sure you get it cheap. I drive a 2008 diesel dodge now, love it, but getting service is harder because so many of the dealerships closed down. The only thing I absolutely can't stand about the dodge is that if it sits for more than a day in the winter, I have to jump it. That is very annoying. I keep saying I'm going to get a block heater cord, but haven't done it yet. I understand the Fords come with them automatically. I don't get how they can sell diesels in cold climates w/o them!

Jill

weasel1088
Jan. 6, 2010, 03:50 PM
I drive a 2008 diesel dodge now, love it, but getting service is harder because so many of the dealerships closed down. The only thing I absolutely can't stand about the dodge is that if it sits for more than a day in the winter, I have to jump it. That is very annoying. I keep saying I'm going to get a block heater cord, but haven't done it yet. I understand the Fords come with them automatically. I don't get how they can sell diesels in cold climates w/o them!

Jill

That sounds like a problem. Never had a problem with coldstarts on mine. the gridheater that comes on dodges is superior to the glowplugs on other diesels.

in anycase, here you go! now you have no more excuses! cant beat 15 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Dodge-Cummins-Diesel-Block-Heater-Cord-5-9-or-6-7-L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a564f260dQQitemZ2505 56130829QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccess ories#ht_708wt_958

craz4crtrs
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:33 AM
Seems like im the only dodge boy around here.

I absolutely love my dodge. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Its a 99 2500 quad cab longbed 4wd. 5.9L diesel with a 5spd trans.

I truly believe the inline 6 cylinder cummins beats out any V-8 diesel. first off its a medium duty engine compared to the others (duramax and powerstroke) which are light duty. less parts, better torque curve, larger components=stronger. tons of 500k engines.

I would strongly consider any dodge with a 5.9L cummins. im not too sure about the new 6.7L solely based on gas mileage, just not as good as the 5.9 (although it can be easily equaled out by removing the diesel particulate filter)

anyhow, i have over 300k miles on mine and it still feels like new. use it to tow a 3 horse gooseneck. plus i dont carry around any spare parts knowing something is bound to fail on me! :)

someone mentioned their turbo failing at 70k miles and thats normal??? what happens when your warranty runs out and you have to repair a turbo?

Well, we are still truck hunting and being Ford people, my hubby doesn't know as much about the Dodge. We've had a few Dodge work trucks, but not for hauling.

We did drive an 08 Dodge 3500 manual and liked it, but wanted more "stuff" on it.

We are going on vacation tomorrow, but after that we will be on the serious truck hunt. We are looking at 06 Dodge 2500 or 3500 long beds, or 2007 Ford F350. We want to tow our 28 ft fifth wheel or my 3h slant trailer.

Any Dodge info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

wildlifer
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:25 AM
I have used a lot of Dodges for work trucks -- yes, the Cummins engine is great, but like the rest of the Chryslers, the rest of the truck is cheap plastic and falls apart around the engine. The front ends go out, the transmissions stink, I wouldn't buy one if you put thumb screws on me. There are always exceptions of course, but as a broad trend, I've had too many bad experiences to even take that chance.

Lori
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:59 PM
'04 4x4 F350 crew cab long bed here. :) My '02 7.3 had sensor issues. Cut out on the highways.
Got the 04 later generation injector and have had no probs.
You can go to message boards like Diesel Stop for reviews. There are some serious towers on there.

Coyoteco
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:42 PM
I have a 2005 6.0 350 club cab, long bed. It was a mess at first and both the dealer and Ford completely abandoned me as a buyer so no more new Fords for me ever.
I did take mine in for an injector wiring problem a couple of months ago and that dealer said that all of the issues with the 6.0 had been worked out long ago. maybe........ I just don't trust mine.
I did, however, do a 24 hour round trip with a 31 foot gooseneck a couple of weeks ago. I drove very fast down there. It was loaded on the way back. We went over serious mountain pass in a blizzard.
The truck was flawless so I don't know. It's a nice looking, nice driving, comfortable, very manueverable truck. It's just a shame that it wasn't "right" when I bought it and that Ford and the dealership were such )*()($*%*%*. I had to have it towed in when it was a week old and it hadn't even pulled a trailer.

I am very curious about the fuel mileage people get loaded and unloaded on their Fords, 7.3, 6.0 and the newer ones. My brother said his friends were really upset with the fuel mileage on the newer ones. I know the salesman who sold me mine (not is fault about my truck) had said to stay away from the 2006 2007 double turbo, but since I was staying away from Ford, I didn't inquire further.

The "funny" think about my truck is that when they connect it to the computer and resets, it runs with great precision - you can feel it. But, then it goes back to just running its norm with less mileage, more noise, etc.

Anyway, what fuel mileage do people get?

wlrottge
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:01 PM
Anyway, what fuel mileage do people get?

'01 7.3 F350 SRW, CC 4wd
Unloaded at 60 I get 20, maybe a little more. Unloaded at 80 I get 16.

3h steel GN Sundowner regardless of number of horses/equipment, we get 13 at 70-75 and a little better if we go slower.

We have a friend who went from the 6.0 to the 6.4 and said the mileage is terrible compared to her 6.0 but she likes the truck much better. We have another set of friends with a 6.0 and they complaine a/b the mileage as well.

I'm hoping to buy my my first new new truck purchase in '12. I'm not a Ford person but b/c of the bailouts and my 7.3 truck, I've converted. The new 6.7 engine coming out looks to be well thought out. It's the first engine not produced by International for Ford in a LONG time. The mileage is supposed to be quite a bit better than the 6.4. It's still sequential twin turbo but a VERY different design.

Coyoteco
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:01 PM
Interesting information. Thanks.

BasqueMom
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:10 AM
We have a 1996 F259 PSD 4x4, long bed, supercab bought in 1998 with 22K on it--still smelled new. It now has about 260,000 miles on it (hubby uses it to
commute to work--grrrrr) and other than the cam sensor once, it is still going
pretty strong. In Colorado, we got 19-20 on the highway unloaded and 15-16 towing. Mileage decreased when we moved to Texas and learned we needed to
change a chip for the lower altitude. Automatic with 4 gears and original transmission.

We also bought a new 2006 Dodge gas engine 1500 5.7 hemi engine--runs like a scalded dog empty but not quite the guts as the Ford when towing. It's a crew cab, long bed, 4x4 and don't think I'd tow much more than our 2 horse steel slant with dressing room with it. Gas mileage is about 15 highway unless you have a tailwind and about 10 towing.

We did look at the Dodge diesel but were getting offered so little trade in on the
Ford, we decided to keep it as it was paid for. Thought it had a lot more guts than the Ford 6.0 available at the time. Had we still been living in Colorado, we definitely would have bought a diesel. However, until Dodge is no longer a part of government-owned motors, not even looking.

Have a 1997 Ford Expedition 5.4 engine, 4x4 we bought in 1999 with 24k on it and now has 240,000 and that sucker just keeps on trucking and trucking and trucking--knock wood! It is set up for towing but only hauled once. DH said it
pulled okay but trailer swayed over 55mph so sway bars or weight distribution hitch would probably take care of that. It's basically just a back up tow vehicle so we haven't done that.

I'd love to have on of the Excursions with the 7.3 diesel--folks I've talked to with them love them and say they tow very well. It's a shame Ford doesn't
have a large diesel SUV.

My 1989 Ford Taurus lived with me for 10 years and moved on to my stepdaughter with 150,000 miles on it. It did have some transmission work but not total replacement. Went through a couple of fuel pumps when it was younger.

weasel1088
Jan. 13, 2010, 03:41 AM
1999 Dodge 5.9L 4x4 quad cab long bed cummins mileage (2wd mileage would be a bit more than mine)

Empty highway only 70-75 i get about 20mpg
drop it down to about 65 and i get about 21-22mpg

3 horse gooseneck with one horse and a full tack room going 70ish i got 16mpg going from santa barbara ca to sacramento ca

combined highway and city i get about 18mpg

plus i drive it like a stole it. i enjoy the occasional puff of black smoke :)