PDA

View Full Version : Clipping & Blanketing

eventingVOL
Dec. 15, 2009, 11:10 AM
Hello all! I am considering doing a trace clip on my horse for the winter mainly because I plan on riding a lot over break to get him back in shape and taking him with me back to school in January. I've never had a clipped horse since I usually just let them chill during winter, but he's been chilling enough while I've been at school, so back to work his lazy butt goes ;) I'm just wondering what the differences are between blanketing a trace clipped horse versus an au natural fuzzy monster. I have a turnout blanket(can't remember if it's med or heavy), Turnout sheet, stable blanket, and cooler. Anyways, what do you usually do for blanketing a clipped horse?

EventerAJ
Dec. 15, 2009, 01:16 PM
IME, I don't blanket much differently for a trace clip... but most of our full-furred guys wear blankets too. They all live outside.

I just trace clipped one last week, and he wears the same heavyweight as everyone else (unclipped). They wear the same blanket from 40s/50s and below. With the clip, I'll keep a blanket/sheet on him a little longer whereas the others would be nekkid.

I didn't go crazy on the clip, he still has plenty of hair on his upper half to stay warm. But it makes a great difference when I ride-- his primary sweat zones are chest and flanks, and removing that hair helps a ton. He is on the chunky side, has blubber to keep him warm, so I don't worry too much about him using a few extra calories to stay warm. ;) On a skinny hard keeper, I might be more aggressive in blanketing.
Contrast this to another horse who is thin-skinned and fully clipped: he's wearing TWO heavyweight blankets right now, when it's below freezing or 30s/damp. Everybody else (trace clipped guy included) is fine in a single heavy t/o blanket.

For horses that live in a stall, there's more opportunity to swap blankets around for comfort. For a fully-clipped horse, I start with a sheet below 60 degrees (unless very sunny), and blanket below 40. Start layering below freezing. For an unclipped horse, sheet from 50-40, blanket below 40. Trace clipped horse usually follows unclipped horse, but may need to layer below 20 or so.

AEM74
Dec. 15, 2009, 01:16 PM
It really depends on the horse. My hardy, muscular draft cross is trace clipped and I'm keeping a medium weight turnout blanket on him right now. We're in Indiana. He's turned out during the day and stalled at night this time of year. For the most part it's been in the 20's/30's during the day and the teens/20's at night. The kid has never been cold a day in his life, I don't think, so I don't really worry about him catching a chill.

On the other hand, if I had something more sensitive to the cold, say a TB for example, I'd likely make sure he had a neck cover on his blanket so his clipped neck wouldn't get cold.

asterix
Dec. 16, 2009, 04:07 PM
I have easy keepers and I do bib clips (stop just behind the girth, belly is still fuzzy). No blankets needed except for cold/rain.