PDA

View Full Version : Going out on a wing here- Found dog in Sykesville, MD

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:35 PM
Hello everyone. When I got to the barn today, I noticed a yellow lab tied to a tree next to the parking lot. It seems he wandered in around lunchtime, and the barn workers tied him up thinking he belonged to someone. He is wearing a redskins collar, but has no tags. I called the Carroll County Humane Society, but they didn't have any reports of a missing yellow lab. I also contacted local vets and emergency clinics, but again, no one heard anything about him. I posted an ad on craigslist with his picture, so I'm hoping to get leads from that.

So being the pushover that I am, and not wanting him to spend the night in the cold barn, I took him home. He is very, very sweet, about 8 years old, and appears to be well-fed. He can sit, lay down, and shake hands. He appears to absolutely love children, and spent the afternoon getting led around the property by a group of 8-10 year olds. I am hoping that someone left a message on the answering service's machine at the CCHS, and that when I call them in the morning, I will be able to reunite him with his family.

If anyone knows of anyone else in the area that might be missing a large yellow lab, please send me a PM, or an email to sammus1 at umbc dot edu. I really don't think I can keep this dog, as I have one dog already, and I'm not sure they would get along (I sent my dog to my mother's house for the night to make sure they didn't get into it overnight).

Bluey
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:55 PM
Also call the police.
Run the dog by a vet with a scanner and see if he has a microchip.

Someone may be frantic, looking for their dog in all the wrong places.:(

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:02 PM
Also call the police.
Run the dog by a vet with a scanner and see if he has a microchip.

Someone may be frantic, looking for their dog in all the wrong places.:(

Unfortunately, I don't think calling the police is an option. Maybe I will give the non-emergency number a try, but there has been a lot of negative press lately concerning non-emergencies being directed to emergency call centers.

I am heading to my family vet's office first thing tomorrow morning to check for a microchip.

I hope his family is indeed looking for him. I filed a "found dog" report with the Maryland SPCA after I wrote the OP, so perhaps they will find that somehow. It's just a little odd, as it seems like the first logical step after losing a pet is to call the local shelters to file reports. I am hoping this isn't a case of dumping the dog at the farm, as it wouldn't be the first time it's happened...

vacation1
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:49 PM
I know it freaks people out to take a stray to the pound, but if someone's looking for him that's really the easiest place for his owners to locate him. Any shelter has multiple people working multiple shifts, and people coming in and out to look at dogs. With the very best intentions on both sides, it is still very possible that the dog's owners can come in, look around, and miss talking to the employee(s) who heard about your phone call. Unless your local pound is one of those which euthanizes very fast, take him there instead of to a rescue or similar group, where it would take an owner who's got a specialized foothold in the local dog community to find him again. A calm older lab with a special collar sounds like a lost dog; most people dump labs when they're 2 and bouncing off walls.

Other ideas:
Take a digital photo of dog (body, head) and place flyers at local vets and petstores.

MHM
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:00 PM
Maybe cross-post in Off Course? I think that forum gets more traffic.

I hope he ends up where he belongs. Thanks for helping him. :)

asterix
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:18 AM
My farrier's barn is in Eldersburg. I'll call him and ask if anyone up there is missing a dog -- you never know, it's not that far away...

JSwan
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:18 AM
It's just a little odd, as it seems like the first logical step after losing a pet is to call the local shelters to file reports.

Not sure how close you are to other jurisdictions - but you might want to contact several shelters to report the dog. He might have traveled a lot farther than you think - and shelters don't have a common database they can search through. I found a dog that had been reported missing in the next county - but I found him in my county several hours after he'd been lost.

Also make sure the vet is able to scan for different kinds of chips. They're not universal (unless something has changed recently so I could be wrong about that)

I'm glad you took him home and hope you find the owner soon.

Sabovee
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:42 AM
I found a lost dog last year and found his owner by putting an ad on craigslist. After spending days canvassing vet clinics and shelters this was the avenue that worked out. Give it a try - Good luck!! Hopefully he finds his family before the holidays.

Cammie
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:55 AM
He probably ran away from home out of the sheer embarrassment of having to wear a Redskins collar.... :D

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Dec. 15, 2009, 06:51 PM
He probably ran away from home out of the sheer embarrassment of having to wear a Redskins collar.... :D

Haha, that's what I said! It doesn't help that my own dog is wearing a Ravens collar...

Anyway, I was able to find his owner this morning, who promptly came and picked him up. He wasn't too far from home, but has a "habit" of wandering. Makes one wonder why he doesn't wear an ID tag... But I suppose all's well that ends well!

Bluey
Dec. 15, 2009, 07:07 PM
Good, he sounded like a dog with a home, not a true stray or dumped dog.

I bet you made that family's Christmas.:)

MHM
Dec. 15, 2009, 08:13 PM
Yay! Glad to hear it! Just out of curiosity, which method worked to find the owner?

Maybe he'll get an ID tag for Christmas. ;)

Trevelyan96
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:18 PM
Glad your guy found his way back to his family.

LOL, my animal chasing, fence jumping, ADHD terrier is ID'd to the nines. ID tag with his name and our number, Home Again ID, Rabies ID, and a microchip.

I now understand how he ended up at our local shelter as a stray! I don't know if I'll ever be completely successful at containing him (we're working on the radio transmitter now), but at least it will be easy for anyone who finds him to get him back to us if they want to. He's a charismatic little bugger, though, 2 of my neighbors just let him stay and play with their kids and dogs for a while, then call me. :o