PDA

View Full Version : Why few jocks get ad revenue for logo-wear

Glimmerglass
Dec. 14, 2009, 03:44 PM
An interesting article on lack of logos worn by jockeys. I must confess I don't recall for one second that Jose Santos on Funny Cide in the Belmont Stakes wore Anheuser-Busch on his pants/breeches.

(Before some smart-alec quips that silks are exclusive the top and aren't the pants - so be it!)

ESPN/DRF Dec 12, 2009 "Sponsor deals not smooth as silks" (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=4735765&campaign=rss&source=HORSEHeadlines)

excerpt

This year the Derby sponsorship [with NetJets] netted $125,000 to the Permanently Disabled Jockeys' Fund, $75,000 to the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, and $150,000 to the jockeys (about $7,900 per rider).

One plan suggested during talks included a flexible form for the Triple Crown agreements -- a, b, or c options that an owner could select when signing off -- sending all or none of the funds to charity or divvying the proceeds according to a predetermined split. This idea seems practical given the degrees of variation between previous sponsor-jockey agreements; when Weitsma inked a $200,000 deal between owner Roy Chapman, jockey Stewart Elliott, and sponsors Inphone before the 2004 Belmont Stakes, for instance, Chapman gave his approval based on a four-way split between Elliott and the colt's exercise rider, groom, and barn foreman.

And last year, when Kent Desormeaux and IEAH came to an agreement on a UPS sponsorship deal believed to have been in the $500,000 range, Desormeaux took home a third of the money and the owners kept the rest.

Ultimately, the organizations are also looking at a proposal which would give 40 percent of jockey advertising revenues to the rider, 40 percent to the owner, and 10 percent each to Thoroughbred Charities of America and the Permanently Disabled Jockeys' Fund.

Damn $500k forked over by UPS for what could've been a coup but turned out to be that mess with Big Brown in the Belmont. Further Kent took home $160k for that "ride" - ouch!

Las Olas
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:29 PM
Wow, UPS got the advertising deal of the decade with that one. I wonder if anyone figured out the actual amount of airtime they received through the entire telecast.

I hate to second guess a jockey's ride because I'm not the one up there, but that was a total wtf??? moment.

CassandraMarie
Dec. 17, 2009, 05:45 PM
Kent and BB would've gotten the same amount of air-time if he had won the race...