PDA

View Full Version : Barn Cat Help Needed

Sport
Dec. 14, 2009, 01:42 PM
We have a large collection of barn cats. We have had a lot neutered, but more keep joining our family. :)

Due to the fact they were all grey tabbys to start with and we now have every colour under the sun we know that we are getting other peoples cats as well.

They are all fed and in great shape and we can handle about 75% of them.

Now to the real question, some definately have worms. Is there anything natural that we can add to the food that they would all get.

I worry about the possibilty of overdosing a bossy cat and a more timid cat getting nothing.

greysandbays
Dec. 14, 2009, 01:56 PM
I bulk worm my barn cat herd. There is liquid piperazine product called D-Worm that I found in 8 oz bottles at the area big box farm store. I figure out about how many pounds the cat herd weighs, round it up to the nearest ten, and put the amount for that wieght on their morning feed (which is always dry food with warm water to make it soft). I just mix the wormer with the warm water before adding to the food.

This product is pretty safe. Even when I misread the label and used Tablespoons to measure instead of Teaspoons (triple dose!), it just made some of them a "little high" for a few hours but didn't seem to cause any other damage.

I have to put food in about four different places anyway because of cat squabbles, so everybody gets all they'll eat.

JSwan
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah - that product is used to deworm poultry as well.

You add it to the drinking water at the rates indicated on the label.

Double check with your vet to see if he/she has any concerns or suggestions.

Sport
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I was really worried about overdosing some and not getting others.

We do like you greysandbays and have about 4 different dishes.

JSwan - glad to hear it is okay for poultry as well, because the peacock occasionally joins the cats for a meal.

Now figuring out the weight of the cat herd might be interesting. :-)

Horsegal984
Dec. 14, 2009, 08:33 PM
If you can get your hands on them there is also a new topical dewormer that will get more intestinal parasites than the piperazine. It's 'prescription only' but most vets are pretty good abut dispensing it if they have seen some of the cats. Goes on the back of the neck like a flea treatment and is a one time only deal.

If you go the piperazine(or any other oral dewormer) route make sure to repeat the cycle in 3 weeks, and then again in 2 months to take care of all life stages of the worms. Piperazine and Pyrantel are both really safe products, when tested in rats for pyrantel the LD50(leathal dose for 50% of them) was like 50mls per rat! It's almost insane how much of that you can give and still be in the safe range, the reccomended dosing on it is 1ml for every 5-10lbs. Fot the cats I would split the difference and say 1cc per 7.5lbs of cat, and even if some get more and others less you should still be within effective range.

Katherine
Vet Tech

lesson junkie
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:33 PM
Are you seeing worms? If you are seeing tapeworms, I think you need something specific for them.

Sport
Dec. 15, 2009, 12:11 PM
We are not seeing worms, but a lot have the big round bellies that are common when they have worms.