PDA

View Full Version : winter time training

bigbaytb
Dec. 14, 2009, 01:39 PM
I am trying to figure out a training schedule for one of my two horses. I moved to the hunt club this year. Lots of outdoor riding. the indoor is large but the footing is old and I don't think the best for alot of jumping of any height. I have been able to fox hunt more often this year (drag hunt). My horses usually go hunt 2x a week, with our without me! Only one venue has jumps 3foot plus height, most are lower. Horses are out 8am to 5pm.

My horse, a 17hh OTTB 9 year old gelding. disaster proned :lol:. was schooling training plus by end of summer. had wire in tongue and lost alot of muscle in september. just got over an abcess (it's been one of those years with him) but havent' jumped training plus since early august (except for venue with 3+ fences, we go there about 1x month). should I worry about getting him back up to height or just do it when i trailer to lessons and in the spring when the outdoor thaws out.

Besides dressage, any indoor exercises to augment jumping? this horse can do the height but doesn't necessariy care if he rubs/pulls rails. he's very laid back and light on the forehand. he is a xc machine but totally controllable by ever so slight leg and hand pressure (even at the hunt).

Any ideas, suggestions for his training.

LAZ
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:00 PM
Whatever you do, don't let O'Reilly overhear your plans.

My advice--don't worry about the x/c as much right now, you're hunting, the height at training is not the issue so much as the clever/adjustability factor. Lots of gymnastics with placing poles, drift poles to keep him tight & rocked back.

And while you're at it, don't let you mare hear you either, she might be discussing strategies with O'Reilly & you won't have anything to ride.

:D :lol: :D

bigbaytb
Dec. 14, 2009, 04:04 PM
laz...:lol::lol: so true, so true!