PDA

View Full Version : Eventing Trainers near Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA) area?

ChloieBell
Dec. 14, 2009, 12:26 PM
I've applied to Virginia Tech and am wondering what eventing trainers are in the area. I am interested in joining the ihsa team but am interested in continuing to event while in college. Does anyone have any suggestions for any eventing or even dressage trainers/stables in the area?

Thanks!

-Chloie

AKB
Dec. 14, 2009, 01:50 PM
When my daughter was in Blacksburg a few years ago, there were no close by upper level trainers. It was also hard to find an indoor arena to ride in, as the school only let undergrads who were part of the riding program use their indoor. There is an active eventing association. You may want to get their contacts from the area 2 website. There are nice trails in the Blackburg area, such as those at Pandapos Pond. My daughter found it easier to trail ride while she was at school, and then take lessons when she was home.

BlueRidgeEventer
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:45 PM
If you check the website for Blue Ridge Eventing Association (www.breventing.org), you can find out more information about the local eventing scene in Soutwest Virginia.

There are actually several "local" pros in the area with primary focuses on eventing, that, if nothing else, would be good eyes on the ground and that could help you stay on track while you're away from home. There are also four pony clubs that might be able to give you more information. Finally, there are several upper level pros within a 3 hour drive (Caroline Dowd is about 2 1/2 hours away and Emily Beshear is about 3 hours away, just to name two). It's not a huge eventing mecca, but there are a lot of die-hard eventers around the Blacksburg area.

piaffequeen
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:56 PM
I second and highly recommend Caroline-I do beleive she travels to other farms to teach so you may want to contact her to see if some of her students are nearby that you could board with.:)

Maben
Jul. 22, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hey,
I read the post about finding a trainer in the Blacksburg area and I tried looking up Caroline Dowd, but I have been unsuccessful contacting her. I looked on her web site but the e-mail address and phone number don't work. Can anyone tell me how to get a hold of her?
Thanks,
Shannon

piaffequeen
Jul. 25, 2010, 07:58 PM
Maben- I sent you a PM! She is in the process of changing her website. Her email is ccatherholt@yahoo.com-you also may want to try texting to her phone number-she has been having some difficulties with it.