PDA

View Full Version : Hotel for Rolex

smokescreen
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:30 AM
I am in charge of booking a hotel room for a all girls trip to Rolex. I would like to book a cheap room as close to the park as possible. Can anyone recommend a good cheap hotel? Thanks

deltawave
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:55 AM
I've stayed at all of them, and the only one I'd avoid (not sure if it's even still open) is the Knight's Inn right there near the horse park. Ick. :dead: All the others are about the same--get the best deal you can.

vineyridge
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:59 AM
The Winners Circle in Georgetown starts accepting reservations for Rolex on January 1.

CookiePony
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:29 AM
This topic comes up every year and is in the Eventing FAQs sticky-- here is the thread:
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4301602]

findeight
Dec. 14, 2009, 01:35 PM
For those that do not want to go to that link...there is a Super Eight at the Georgetown exit (#121 IIRC) off I75-5 miles from the KHP.

Within about 10 miles are two Red Roof Inns and most other major chains have properties along the interstate-Lexington is not that big a town and you really can't get more then 20 minutes from the KHP. Lots to choose from.

Ditto the Knights Inn....yucky and kind of scary.

subk
Dec. 14, 2009, 01:47 PM
Ditto the Knights Inn....yucky and kind of scary.
Yes, but isn't in the "True Eventer's Handbook" that you must spend at least one show in either the Knights Inn or its comparable.

I've stayed there and it's probably not the worst--I'm remembering one that was renting by the hour outside of Germantown when I was about 16. Obviously one of our parents screwed up...

CookiePony
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:16 PM
I have a couple of pictures of my dad in our Knights Inn room from Pony Club Festival '92. Maybe I should post them and folks who have stayed there recently can tell us whether the decor has changed in the last 17 years. :lol:

ivy62
Dec. 14, 2009, 03:08 PM
I have stayed in the Hampton Inn in Georgetown and also the Comfort Inn on Buena Vista..both nice and easy access to the park....Best prices are probably on travelocity or Orbitz though....
Have fun, it is a GREAT time especially if you have never been before....This year may be a bit quieter then others with WEG looming so close.....

khp vol
Dec. 14, 2009, 05:47 PM
I have stayed in the Hampton Inn in Georgetown and also the Comfort Inn on Buena Vista..both nice and easy access to the park....Best prices are probably on travelocity or Orbitz though....
Have fun, it is a GREAT time especially if you have never been before....This year may be a bit quieter then others with WEG looming so close.....

I doubt very much that it will be quieter since this year's Rolex is a mini-WEG (test events for not only eventing, but also dressage and show jumping are being held the same week).

In addition, I would guess that there will be more foreign competitors since, as you say, the WEG is looming so close.

One new hotel you may not be aware of is the Fairfield Inn at Exit 115 (Newtown), which opened last summer.

Hey Mickey
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:06 PM
The Winner's Circle in Georgetown (about 5 miles away) is about as cheap as they come.

Its family owned.
Umm its probably not the cleanest looking place (its old and dated). They have coffee in the morning (no breakfast) but they don't get mad if you pour all of it into your thermos.
They also don't say anything if you accidentally clean your tack with their towels.
They're nice.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:46 PM
I've stayed at all of them, and the only one I'd avoid (not sure if it's even still open) is the Knight's Inn right there near the horse park. Ick. :dead:

Visually I *think* that KI (@ 1935 Stanton Way) was slightly remodeled in the last year or so, but yes the 'horror' stories are legendary.

For opening weekend of Keeneland's fall meet my wife and I stayed next door in the brand new Fairfield Inn Suites by Marriott (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g39588-d1484685-Reviews-Fairfield_Inn_Suites_by_Marriott_Lexington_North-Lexington_Kentucky.html) which I'd strongly recommend looking into. They do the typical AAA discount and its very clean, neat, well lit, they have a pool, workout facility, internet, etc.

smokescreen
Dec. 15, 2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks all, I have found my hotel. This is not my first trip by far, however it is the first trip for a couple of the girls. Taking horsey girls to Rolex for the first time is like taking someone to Vegas when they turn 21. Lots of fun.:lol:

findeight
Dec. 15, 2009, 08:59 AM
Just to add...the KI did redo most of the place.

Courtesy of a tornado that ripped most of the roof off.:rolleyes:

About 3 years ago now...and that's probably the last time it was cleaned.;).

Abracadabra
Dec. 15, 2009, 08:49 PM
That KI is perfectly OK for sleeping in, and going to the park - what else do you want? we stayed there, and i would stay there again. No where near as scary as the online reviews! and VERY cheap!

bostonparkplaza
Jan. 31, 2012, 01:17 AM
Staying at Clarion Inn will be great to experience, won't cost you more, the rooms are comfortable and the services are fabulous and one will see great location near the theme park.