PDA

View Full Version : DNA testing question

f4leggin
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:05 AM
First I should say I have been working with the jockey club with this situation (although they don't know the latest twist), but I was wondering if any of you have ever run into this.

I bought a mare (with valid JC papers) with a filly that was supposed to be around 8 months - already weaned, but I got them together. When I tracked down who had owned the mare at the time of the breeding, I was able to find out who the fillies sire was, and start the registration process. Through the desciption of the filly, the owner of the mare at the time of breeding really didn't think that filly was hers, but I was reassured that the filly was hers by the person I bought the mare from.

Through DNA testing, it was ruled out that the filly was the mare's, so I went back to the owner of the mare at the time of breeding, and she suggested a different set of parents - she had sold two mares in foal to the same person (although not the person I bought the mare from we could trace how the mare ended up in my hands). So, that DNA test came back that the second set of parents were in fact the correct parents. Realize I did not own that mare - and don't even know where she was.

So, Friday I talked to the stallion owner of the sire that we think is the correct and their records show that the breeding did happen in the year in question, but the resulting filly has already been registered to someone else.

So... Now what??? I suspect that DNA testing isn't conclusive? That it can rule out parents, but can't guarentee 100% parents are correct? I have to assume that the one that was registered passed the DNA test..

Jill

QHEventr
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:51 AM
Could the 8 month old filly you have already be registered? Or have you been able to contact the people that have the registered filly....seems a little fishy to me. What does the person you bought them from say about all of this?

Timex
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:36 AM
WTF? Yikes! Sorry, don't have any answers for you. What does the JC say about it?

FancyASB
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:42 PM
What DNA lab does the JC use? I've been trying to obtain the identity of a rescued Saddlebred gelding. He has been identified by his breeder and former owner. ASHA utilized U of KY DNA lab; they said my gelding is not who the breeder and former owner have identified (I am not the only person that has had problems with U of KY) ASHA has now switched to U of Davis DNA lab; I have not resubmited a sample for DNA testing yet for him with Davis. I know how frustrating it is....

Christa P
Dec. 14, 2009, 03:56 PM
Not likely, but is there any chance your filly was a twin? If so your mare may have "adopted' her and her twin was registered.

Christa

KBEquine
Dec. 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure they actually check the DNA results until a question arises . . . tht would be worth asking the JC. If the mares switched foals, the owners of the foal's actual dam might have registered YOUR mare's foal as theirs, since they'd have assumed their mare brought her own foal with her to their house . . .

You definitely need to get it straightened out before anyone makes it to the track - THAT has happened before, too, and people have lost purses, etc., from the error.

f4leggin
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Well, the good news is that this afternoon I talked to the JC and they do not have a foal registered from the parents in question, the year in question. So, maybe it's as simple as the stallion owners records are wrong. I'll call them tomorrow.

BTW - I think they run the DNA test everytime - or else they would have not caught that I had the wrong parents in the first place... But, I could be wrong.

Jill