PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live in a barn apartment?

Pocket Pony
Dec. 13, 2009, 05:59 PM
Does anyone here live above the barn? Do you like it? Is it loud? How big is your apartment? Do you get a lot of flies? What do you do about heating/cooling? Would you do it again?

pj
Dec. 13, 2009, 06:41 PM
Does anyone here live above the barn? Do you like it? Is it loud? How big is your apartment? Do you get a lot of flies? What do you do about heating/cooling? Would you do it again?

I don't but wish I did. A friend does and it's the cutest thing and she loves it.
Downstairs there is a kitchen/dining area and a livingroom. Upstairs two bedrooms and a bath. One bedroom window looks down into a large stall that she uses for mares due to foal and others that need watching.

It's well constructed and not a bit noisy and I've never seen a fly in there BUT she keeps the cleanest barn I've ever seen

bird4416
Dec. 13, 2009, 06:53 PM
We have barn apartments that connect to the indoor and stable area. I lived in one for many years until we built our house. It was awesome. Just walk out the door into the barn. It wasn't noisy but I could hear if a horse got cast or banged a lot in its stall. We did have out share of flies but I got pretty good with the swatter. It was a little more dusty than your average apartment but not bad. I enjoyed living there and the folks who live there now seem happy with it.

inca
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:04 PM
I have a barn apt. that is on the ground floor, not above the barn. I don't live there but spent MANY days and nights there while we were building our house.

It can be loud when the horses bang their feed buckets at 5 a.m. when they decide it must be breakfast time. Other than that, not loud at all.

Flies have never been a problem in the apartment.

We have a "window" heat/ac unit that we actually had framed into a wall when we built the barn. It works fine for ac but I actually used electric space heaters for heat. The apt. is small (540 sq feet) so 2 $15 space heaters from Home Depot worked great. But, we are in south central TX so it doesn't get real cold. I would turn the space heaters off when we went to bed so it would be pretty chilly when you got up. usually jumped up, turned them back on, got back under the covers and then got up about 20 minutes later when it was warm again. The heat function on the "window" unit was loud and blew cold air into the barn aisle so I didn't use it much.

Yes, if it was just me I would definitely do it again. It was SO convenient to walk out the door and feed. Night time check/hay took 2 minutes. It was also easy to feed and go back to bed on weekend mornings.

birdsong
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:37 PM
My friends built a great barn...T shaped..and lived in the "leg" of the Tee with the horse area in the rest.

The two stallion stalls are immediately outside the back door.

It is such a wonderful place they decided not to build the "big" house!

The front has a covered porch deck. with tables and a hot tub. There is room to park the vehicles on either end with 6 stalls between.

The rooms that did house the lab etc are now storage rooms.

Pocket Pony
Dec. 13, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the info! This would be an apartment-until-the-main-house-is-built type of thing, so not a forever dwelling, but probably for a couple years, anyways. After that it could be used as a rental or guest house.

Did anyone have trouble with insurance?

Pocket Pony
Dec. 13, 2009, 08:25 PM
Oh, and anyone familiar with Barn Pros? Seen their work or know of anyone who has one of their barns?

foundationmare
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:48 AM
I'd LOVE to live above the barn! My BO joked about it the other day, that they should build me an apartment above the barn because I practically live there anyway. I told him that it's always been my dream and to go right ahead and build it!

MHM
Dec. 14, 2009, 08:15 AM
If the apartment will be above the barn, try to plan it so the bedroom(s) will be over the tack room or wash stall or office, not above the stalls.

You would be amazed how much noise a horse can make when it snores. :lol:

judybigredpony
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:10 AM
I lived in a barn apartment that was over the tackroom.
It was warm/cool enough since outer walls were stucco over cinderblock.

But the problem was the barn odors would travel up the stair well and permeat the apartment. In the damp cold or humid heat it smelled horsey 24/7
Possibly if there had been a door at the bottom of the stair well it would have helped.

I also know a family who built a gorgeous bank barn the top floor was their home and you could walk out back at ground level, in the front above the stall overhang was their deck. The Apartment was drop dead magazine cover gorgeous all post n beam, lots of big rooms open space. They insulated the floors well, made sure to have plastic/rubber buckets n feed tubs well matted stalls. So Noise was to a minimum.

eponacelt
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:16 AM
I'm living in one right now. If it were on my own farm, it would be great. But since its a rental, I have to say that I feel like I have very little privacy, even though it is on a small, private farm.

If you're considering renting one, make sure you'll fee comfortable with people walking around below you or past your windows at all hours.

MHM
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:26 AM
If you're considering renting one, make sure you'll fee comfortable with people walking around below you or past your windows at all hours.

Yes, that can be an issue.

One year in Florida, I was living in a barn apartment that was at the end of the aisle. By the wash rack. I was usually the first one out in the barn in the morning, but once in a while, one of my barnmates would have an early class, and I would be awakened by the sound of the hose spraying on my bedroom window. The first time it happened, it was definitely a "What the fruitbat?!?" moment. :lol:

jennywho
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:09 PM
I haven't lived in our barndominium, but my brother lives there currently and loves it (and he's NOT a horse person). It seems a bit dustier than a regular house, but the flies are no worse and he only hears the horses if someone's throwing a major wreck.

My one warning however - If you have a pole building company build it, you may want to frame the living area yourself, unless you are completely hiring out the building job. We had Steel Structures of America build ours and they did a wonderful job, BUT the big joke is that pole builders don't use a level. We had them frame the apartment and then we did the rest. Putting sheet rock up was a major PITA (not that it isn't already) because they didn't frame anything square or level. Lesson learned :winkgrin:

JSwan
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:13 PM
We have a large workshop over the barn which could be an apartment.

Haven't noticed a fly problem, or a noise problem. But it's pretty well built and heavily insulated. No "barn smell" in there either.

I wondered how the horses would deal with the sound of machinery and whatnot - but they don't care. Not even when something falls.

The workshop has a large walkout deck that shades the entrance to the barn below.

No problem with insurance but that might vary depending on the state, company and type of structure I would think.

Hope that helps.

sketcher
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:26 PM
I loved my barn apartment. I was about 1/3 of a hayloft of an old New England barn, when it snowed I could go out my living room door and down the ladder to feed the horses without going outside. Never had a problem with flies but did have plenty of mice, probably because my apartment was the only place the barn cats weren't allowed. because it was on the second floor, it was very private, although I could always look out and see what was going on in front of the barn. the noise isn't bad if the stalls aren't directly under your bedroom.

TBrescue
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'd love to live in a barn apartment!! anyone got one for rent???

Beethoven
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:40 PM
I live above the office and tackroom and the barn aisle are on either side of the office. I can hear some noises, but its not that loud and of course I am used to it. We have central A/C and heating for the apt, office, and tackroom, so I have no problems with that. Not many flies. My main complaint is that its easier to track dirt in because you do not get in a car in the in between time but rather walk right upstairs. I make sure to take my shoes off at the bottom of my stairs, but I still get sand(FL soil) and some shavings in/on my socks that end up in my apt. I really do not mind it though. I love sleeping out here and knowing to horses are ok. Also if one is sick its easy to check on it throughout the night.:yes:

I have lived here for almost a year and will continue to.

My apartment is a big two bedroom with one bath. You would not think its a barn apartment if you didn't know!;)

Barn, top two windows are front of my apt: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=38062771&l=8f9d1b06d3&id=19200064

My living room:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=38157043&l=b153b48fdb&id=19200064

kitchen is on the left then straight through door was is bathroom and bedroom on either side of door way.

I love it! :D

Bluey
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:50 PM
I lived in barn apartments in most riding centers I worked in.
I would not have worked in one that didn't provide a place to live at least on the premises, as that is the best way to really care for horses.

Now, I would say that you need to check if in your area that is permitted, some places you can't live in stables.
Also, not if, but when you may get hurt, if you live upstairs, those stairs may keep you from getting up there, so if possible, have most, if not all of human habitation below.
I hurt my shoulder and I could walk fine on the flat, but up and down stairs, that was terribly painful.
I wish the apartment had been at ground level.

Just more to consider.