PDA

View Full Version : Devil His Due Babies

FineAlready
Dec. 13, 2009, 05:16 PM
Anyone had any experience with Devil His Due babies? Just curious as to what your experiences have been personality-wise, etc. I have one of his babies (no longer racing) and I just love him. He's smart and cheeky but also quite loving and a willing and capable athlete - everything a TB should be, in my opinion. He also looks like a chestnut version of his daddy - same conformation and same dapples!

Lady Counselor
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:25 PM
I don't know about his babies, but Devil his Due was a tough, spirited stallion when I saw him (was he at Claiborne in the mid/late 90's? Seems like he was)
I remember the groom saying he was a handful.

bugsynskeeter
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:34 PM
We had a 2 y/o intact colt at my trainers this summer to get broken out. He was a gem to handle and a huge love. I would love to have owned him and turned him into a hunter. He moved like a dream as well.

Las Olas
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:34 PM
Devil His Due was not at Claiborne, he was at Margaux. His sire, Devil's Bag, was at Claiborne and he wasn't any more spirited than any other TB stallion. And, he was nice to be around, although a bad cribber. I know, because I worked there and fed him peppermints everyday. I always worried that I'd give him a peppermint and he would crib and choke on it :lol: The stallion handlers at these farms always want to embellish how tough the studs are to make themselves look better.

I bred to Devil His Due, who was also a fine tempered stallion and I have one of the mares I bred by him back on the farm (post race career). She is sweet and in your pocket, but dumb as dirt. Love her to pieces.

ETA: I also wanted to add that I think Devil His Due is a very underrated sire of useful horses. They just aren't a commercial type (generally tend to be plain and knees aren't great).

TKR
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:46 PM
I visited Margaux and Devil His Due a few years ago. LOVED him! He's my type and was my favorite of all of theirs hands down. He was very nice to be around and enjoyed him very much. Would love to have one of his.
PennyG

Stellaspeed
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:51 PM
One of Fingerlakes Finest by Devil His Due made it to New Kent ! Devilshire arrived yesterday, and pics will be posted shortly. He is black bay, short 15.1, and short coupled like a Quarter Horse with a baby doll head. His trainer/owner Linda Dixon gave him to my neighbor Emma age 14. She is IN LOVE !!!
We had a Devil His Due mared named Smart Devil, and bred her to Cryptoclearance and got nada, I think every vet in Midway had a poke and a peek in her by the looks of the vet bill, but she came up empty after initially showing in foal at her 30 day ultrasound. We ended up giving her away.

Las Olas
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:52 PM
I visited Margaux and Devil His Due a few years ago. LOVED him! He's my type and was my favorite of all of theirs hands down. He was very nice to be around and enjoyed him very much. Would love to have one of his.
PennyG

Be careful what you say, or you might end up with a nice sweet (yet dumb) Devil His Due mare :lol:

FineAlready
Dec. 13, 2009, 09:16 PM
Ah, it's so great to hear about my boy's siblings! Mine is four years old, gelded, and being retrained as a hunter. He's just the cutest ever. People who have never even met him walk past his stall and comment on what a cute face he has. :) I think it's the eyes - so intelligent, yet he has an almost foal-like look to him. For the person who said they have a smaller Devil His Due baby, mine has grown quite a bit since I got him. At three, he was 15.2, and he's now over 15.3 (not sure how much over, as I haven't checked in a while). I've heard that Devil His Due was a late bloomer...not sure if that is true.

This is one of the funniest horses I've ever had. If he gets your number, watch out! BUT, he's totally willing to play nice as long as clear boundaries are established. I think he's just a "thinker." He went through a phase where he was constantly wondering if perhaps he could be dominant in the human-horse relationship. That wasn't particularly fun, but it did make me a better horseman.

When we first taught him how to jump little baby jumps, he would practice the exercises we taught him while turned loose in the indoor ring. He would even go so far as to make a circle to jump a jump again and would deliberately turn to go down a diagonal line. I've never seen anything like it. Swaps his leads too.

Something about him just makes me trust him. He's been right about an awful lot so far! In fact, it was him who first identified that it was time to move to a different barn, lol. :yes:

Anyone who wants to PM me to talk more about Devil His Due babies is welcome to. I'm not sure why, but I'm absolutely fascinated by Devil His Due as a sire. I've had plenty of TBs in my life, but this one is just different somehow. Needless to say, he's a keeper.

Las Olas
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:05 PM
Call Lucy at Margaux. I think she's still there. She could tell you everything you wanted to know about him.

Windswept Farm
Dec. 14, 2009, 12:25 AM
I have a Devil His Due broodmare, as well as a Devils Bag broodie, and they are my favorite girls I have ever owned. Easy keeping, easy breeding and attitude is awesome. I have known about 5 or 6 Devil His Due babies, and one thing I did note is several were cribbers, including mine.

FineAlready
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:12 AM
Sounds like I'm lucky - my boy does not crib. He is pretty orally fixated, though. Always looking for a cross tie, piece of tack, etc. to chew on.

To contact Lucy, would I just call Margaux and ask to talk to Lucy?

KBEquine
Dec. 14, 2009, 06:24 PM
My Devil His Due 2 y.o. cribs, too. Until I read this thread, I was sure she got it from her dam's side of the family - her "aunt" is the only other cribber on the farm.

She's a smallish (in height) filly with the right attitude - racey but would probably make a good riding horse, too. She's out of a 1/2 sister to the dam of G1 sprinter Fabulous Strike, so here's hoping she takes after her cousin.

Las Olas
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:16 PM
To contact Lucy, would I just call Margaux and ask to talk to Lucy?

I just checked their website and it doesn't look like Lucy is there anymore. Michelle would be the next best thing. She hasn't been there as long, and I think she handled the sales more, but she may be able to send you a photo of him or something along those lines. Are you anywhere near KY? They are very good about having visitors.

ETA: I can't remember if Devil His Due himself cribbed or not. I just know that Devil's Bag was a very heavy cribber.

TKR
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:43 PM
I love his "type" -- he is so similar in the way he looks and his expression -- and color -- to my foundation mare and many of her produce who I just *adored*. Have been so conflicted selling the ones I did. One of hers was the love of my life and another one is my current love. They are characters and really get under you skin and wind around your heart. They are also competitive and just fun to ride and lovely to look at -- if I wasn't trying to scale back I'd take that "dumb" mare!
PennyG

FineAlready
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:04 PM
I just checked their website and it doesn't look like Lucy is there anymore. Michelle would be the next best thing. She hasn't been there as long, and I think she handled the sales more, but she may be able to send you a photo of him or something along those lines. Are you anywhere near KY? They are very good about having visitors.

ETA: I can't remember if Devil His Due himself cribbed or not. I just know that Devil's Bag was a very heavy cribber.

Sadly, I'm not near KY. However, I am now trying pretty hard to think of reasons for a road trip! Thanks for the info!

lindasp62
Dec. 15, 2009, 06:21 PM
Contact Ramona Good. She is very familiar.http://ramonasresearch.com/index.html

FineAlready
Dec. 16, 2009, 01:52 PM
Contact Ramona Good. She is very familiar.http://ramonasresearch.com/index.html

Thanks!

pinkdiamondracing
Dec. 18, 2009, 08:49 AM

I had a Devil's Bag who cribbed so bad that it was one of the reasons I gave him away!!! I had been ponying on him at TTC and when he kicked a horse and fractured it's hock, that was the other reason I got rid of him-- it was the first time he kicked at a race horse, but it was the last time with me.

FineAlready
Dec. 18, 2009, 03:26 PM
I had a Devil's Bag who cribbed so bad that it was one of the reasons I gave him away!!! I had been ponying on him at TTC and when he kicked a horse and fractured it's hock, that was the other reason I got rid of him-- it was the first time he kicked at a race horse, but it was the last time with me.

Hmm...well, that's unpleasant. I hope you sent him to someone who put the time in to train him for some other job. Sounds like ponying wasn't his thing. It's not for every horse, I would imagine.

I don't know much about cribbing causes, etc. Is it believed to be inherited? I know it can be a stress-related behavior. I've only owned one cribber - a TB mare, off the track. Actually, with only one exception, every cribber I have ever known (in about 25 years of working with horses) has been a TB off the track. And I'm a hunter/jumper person in barns with lots of warmbloods.

Anyway, interesting to think about.

Las Olas
Dec. 18, 2009, 04:22 PM
They don't know for sure, but it appears to be a genetic predisposition, not for cribbing itself, but for nervous/habitual behavior that can manifest itself as cribbing. A bit like alcoholism/drug abuse in humans. I have a cribber (that Pinkdiamond used to pony at TTC) who had never been anywhere near a cribber (I had never owned one, and I didn't have horses along my property line) that figured it out herself. It took her about 4 months to go from setting her teeth, to pulling and then one day she sucked air. Her dam didn't crib but her sire did (who she obviously never met). She now raises all of my foals, and none of them have ever picked it up. None of my broodmares crib and I haven't bred to cribbing sires.

FineAlready
Dec. 18, 2009, 05:28 PM
They don't know for sure, but it appears to be a genetic predisposition, not for cribbing itself, but for nervous/habitual behavior that can manifest itself as cribbing. A bit like alcoholism/drug abuse in humans. I have a cribber (that Pinkdiamond used to pony at TTC) who had never been anywhere near a cribber (I had never owned one, and I didn't have horses along my property line) that figured it out herself. It took her about 4 months to go from setting her teeth, to pulling and then one day she sucked air. Her dam didn't crib but her sire did (who she obviously never met). She now raises all of my foals, and none of them have ever picked it up. None of my broodmares crib and I haven't bred to cribbing sires.

VERY interesting. My Devil His Due baby, as I mentioned, does not crib, BUT he did start doing a head jerk/nose twitch thing a while back when we were in a boarding situation that was very stressful for him. It pretty much completely subsided when we moved (within a week of moving). It resurfaces briefly now and then if something exciting or upsetting happens.

tbmorgan
Dec. 19, 2009, 02:35 AM
Just saw this thread and my ear pricked up! :D I "discovered" Devil His Due a while back, because his sire was one of my absolute favorites back in the day. I always thought Devil's Bag was just gorgeous, and I like that solid, compact build.

Funny about the cribbing...my rescue horse, Nickel, is a cribber (I heartily wish he weren't, but what am I gonna do...he's a keeper, regardless) and my Amos is a total busybody who is always in everyone else's business, very orally fixated and constantly into mischief. My guys are turned out 24/7 and their paddocks are fenced in electrobraid, so the only place Nickel can crib is on the gate, or when I temporarily stick him in the round pen for whatever reason. Amos is a very relaxed, happy camper out in his paddock, but he watches Nickel diligently, and just recently I've caught him biting the paddock gate a couple of times. I growled at him, and he turned and looked at me like "What?" but he stopped. I can just see him teaching himself to crib, just for giggles, because that would be an Amos-like thing to do for amusement. He's certainly not stressed! Grrrr.....

Katja

HelenC
Dec. 21, 2009, 11:17 AM
My mare Stella is by Devil His Due out of Midnight Oil and I'm sooo glad to see this thread! She raced at Laurel and her JC name American Doll. Her trainer gave her to me after realizing that she wanted to be a pet and not a racehorse.
It's been great reading about everyone else's horses because mine is so similar. She's about 16 hands and dark bay like her daddy. She's very laid back and a total doll. She's also very pretty if I say so myself. :)

She also does crib a little. It's not too bad but she is persistant with it. Unfortunately last month she had a bilaterial faciamoty (sp?) of her hind suspensories. She's handling recovery well and the surgeon was happy with his work so I'm hoping to be back to work June/July. She's not going anywhere and my goal is to do a Training 3 Day with her which should be doable. We're taking it one day at a time.

When I first got her I did a little research on DHD and found this link on YouTube. It's the 1993 Pimilio Special and shows our boy smoking the field. He's amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTuPNqnlzHg

ravenclaw
Dec. 25, 2009, 02:57 PM
I visited Margaux Farm in 2008. Devil His Due had a nice temperament and the stallion manager said he was easy to handle and work with. On the other hand, Cryptoclearance seemed to be edgier and more of a handful. He didn't seem nasty, but not as easy as Devil His Due.

Windswept Farm
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:44 AM
I think its awesome to see that Devil His Due has such a big fan club. I just heard today that one of his sons (Buckle Down Ben) is coming to Indiana to stand. On another note, I have been looking for another DHD mare to add to the broodie band for a couple years. If anyone comes across one I would love to hear about it!

KBEquine
Dec. 27, 2009, 09:43 AM
I hope Ben is well supported in Indiana - I always liked him while he was here in PA.