View Full Version : Wanted to share good news

Dec. 13, 2009, 02:11 PM
Many of you have provided me with good advice and encouragement as my mare has been rehabing from tendon injury last June.

I have good news and wanted to share. She had her latest ultrasound a week ago and everything looks great. Some scar tissue as expected, but well formed. Tendon fibers are all in the right direct. Full thickness has returned. Hematoma in the lower leg is gone.

She had become so impossible to ride that about 2 weeks ago we switched to turning her out in the indoor (hard footing). She was really pretty good free lunging with dorm and that was how the vet had me introduce the canter. She's held up extremely well. No heat, no swelling, and staying sound. So after the good ultrasound I was able to turn her out yesterday.

I don't think I have ever been so happy as to see my girl quietly grazing with her favorite girlfriend out on a lovely day. Was turned out for 4 hours. Stayed totally quiet. Didn't even trot. Looked great this morning and went out again for 2 hours. Not quite the same nice day, but she didn't mind the cold rain. Well bundled in her Rhino Wug.

Plan to get back on her after a few more days of turn out. Hoping the above the ground acrobatics will subside with the turnout. Then keep working our way up to consistent hard flat work. Then we can introduce jumping. Planning to keep her on flatwork for 2 months.

Thanks again everyonefor the guidance and reassurance! Drugs were my savior. I never would have thought I would have administered that much or varietity tranquelizer, but she would have never made it otherwise. All and all she continues to be a super patient and one smart mare.

Dec. 13, 2009, 03:43 PM
Glad she's recovering so well!

Zu Zu
Dec. 13, 2009, 09:27 PM
Great update ~ thanks for sharing and so glad she has recovered safely!

Dec. 13, 2009, 10:43 PM
That's great-- thanks for sharing your good news!

Thames Pirate
Dec. 14, 2009, 01:43 AM
Congrats on a successful rehab! Best wishes for continued soundness.

Dec. 14, 2009, 02:32 AM
Yeah! Congratulations!

Dec. 21, 2009, 10:25 PM
So after 5 straight days of 3 hour turn out I got back on my mare. No tranquelizer required. She has been super. The turn-out time alone is really making her tired. Trotting for about 15 minutes in a 30-45 minute ride.

I've been on her about 4 times now and she feels a little stronger each time. I am keeping her at 15 minutes for about another week then, plan to bump her up to 20.

Anyone else have similar experience with a horse rehabing and going back on turnout? I am not complaining. The natural tranquilizing effect is great. Just curious how it compares to others experience.

Plan right now is to keep her on 3 hour turn out with one other horse until spring. As long as the footing is pretty solid she can go out. I'll keep riding her about 5-6 days a week and build up the flat work. She is still on very little grain. She had been so wild at the end of her stall rest I didn't want to up the grain until I was sure she was going to be ok.