PDA

View Full Version : Will bucket heaters THAW?

pintopiaffe
Dec. 13, 2009, 10:37 AM
:sigh:

Once the tank freezes, the deicer doesn't work.

I need something to thaw the d@mn thing sometimes.

Will a bucket heater work?

Blow torch?

:sigh:

Plumcreek
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:20 AM
If you mean this type of bucket heater (http://www.sstack.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?fresh=1&searchType=advanced&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&attribute14=0&attribute15=0&attribute16=0&RS=1&keyword=bucket+heater

I think it would work. I would chop a hole in the ice, lay the bucket heater in and cover with insulation if a cold day.

Mallard
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:59 PM
My drop-in/floating heater melts through ice in my trough.
If I get an inch or two of ice on top I usually place the heater on top and it sizzles away, melting the ice. Then I take a piece of 2x4 and smash the rest, letting the de-icer dop down in and continue melting.

Or...do you mean that your entire tank of water is frozen??
YIKES!

AppJumpr08
Dec. 13, 2009, 08:16 PM
My drop-in/floating heater melts through ice in my trough.
If I get an inch or two of ice on top I usually place the heater on top and it sizzles away, melting the ice. Then I take a piece of 2x4 and smash the rest, letting the de-icer dop down in and continue melting.

Or...do you mean that your entire tank of water is frozen??
YIKES!

It was *that* cold and windy here for the last few days... I'd believe it if the tank was frozen almost solid... :sigh:

appaloosalady
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:13 AM
I've had tanks freeze solid before I got my heaters hooked up for the winter. I just put enough water on top of the ice for the heater to float in, plug it in, and let her rip - it usually takes a day for the ice in the trough to completely melt. I hate winter.

betsyk
Dec. 16, 2009, 12:25 PM
Yes, that's practically the only way to do it. Chop a hole in the ice, drop in the super powered bucket heater, go do something else and come back later. Unplug your feeble tank heater first so you don't blow the breaker. As soon as you can, chop out the ice so the bucket heater doesn't have to work so hard.