PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay an extra $5k to get a truck in a color you like? or don't dislike?

fordtraktor
Dec. 12, 2009, 07:53 PM
So I ran across a great deal on a truck, but it is a pretty awful color: a shiny gold. I am not big on color and generally could care less, but this color is pretty out there and will stick out like a sore thumb. It looks like the bargain will save me about $5k. Would you do it?

As a benefit, at least I won't lose it in the parking lot, I guess....

MistyBlue
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:00 PM
Oo, tough choice. I'm not a big color person either with vehicles. However one in a really obnoxious color might turn me right off.
I thought this would be about paying more for a certain color...not paying more to avoid a certain color, LOL! I know I wasn't going to spend the extra $500 (I think it was) for the two toned paint on my truck when I got mine. But since I had to order it for the Tow Command anyways, I did order it in the beige because that hides dirt and looks decent.
I know some higher end vehicles charge more for diamond coated colors...usually black and always thought that was ridiculous.
But...not sure what I'd do if I could save a large amount but get stuck with a really ugly color. Hmmm, how much is a semi-decent paint job? Less than $5k? :winkgrin:

Sparky Boy
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:00 PM
So I ran across a great deal on a truck, but it is a pretty awful color: a shiny gold. I am not big on color and generally could care less, but this color is pretty out there and will stick out like a sore thumb. It looks like the bargain will save me about $5k. Would you do it?

If it's that gold/baby food color on the F150, I'd pass. Sorry. That's got to be one of the worst colors I've ever seen on a vehicle. I've only seen it on the lot, never on the road.

dmalbone
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:06 PM
Depends... do you have a pic of the color?

fordtraktor
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:11 PM
Ask and you shall receive! Is this $5k bad?

http://www.fordf150reviews.com/blog/1018751_are-you-ready-for-amber-gold-and-blue-flame-f-150s

Sparky Boy
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:24 PM
Ask and you shall receive! Is this $5k bad?

http://www.fordf150reviews.com/blog/1018751_are-you-ready-for-amber-gold-and-blue-flame-f-150s

Yup. That's the one. ;) If you are ok with it, then that's what matters right?

fordtraktor
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:27 PM
I might be OK with it for five thousand dollars. Just thinking of the nicer trailer I could get with the money I save from buying the ugly truck....hmmm.

Invite
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:36 PM
$5k can buy a lot of nice horse stuff. You'll be able to find your truck in a parking lot and I doubt anyone will steal it ;) I could not bring myself to, in a sense, lose $5k so my barn mobile was a pretty color. If it were $500, I would get a better color, but that extra 0 makes it a whole lotta money to spend on pretty!

dressagetraks
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:47 PM
Buy it and get it repainted. I've seen repaint places advertised locally starting at about $300. That might be the rate just for the teeny mileagemobile, but still, doubt repainting an F150 is $5000.

MistyBlue
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:54 PM
Eh, while not the most attractive color it's not as hideous as I thought it would be. Although Ford should have kept it on it's citiot vehicle models. :winkgrin:
I was thinking it would be like this color:
http://itsahardlifestyle.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/hard-lifestyle-gwen-stefani-video-tahoe-1.jpg
I'd save the $5k and drive that. It can eventually be painted...or else go off road with it once or twice a week and keep a nice respectable coating of dirt on it to hide the color.

Daydream Believer
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:58 PM
Buy it and get it repainted. I've seen repaint places advertised locally starting at about $300. That might be the rate just for the teeny mileagemobile, but still, doubt repainting an F150 is $5000.

My thoughts exactly. :yes:

fordtraktor
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'll be easy to find at shows -- the chick from COTH with the gold truck! Gonna have to get some bling for my horses if I drive that.

Rhyadawn
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:27 PM
you could get the truck repainted several times for 5K.... just saying....

Janet
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:32 PM
I'd go for it. It is not THAT bad. Once it gets a layer of barn dirt it eill be much more "muted". Or you can get it repainted for a lot lesss than $5K.

bird4416
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:02 PM
That is a butt ugly color. :lol: What a tough decision.

YankeeLawyer
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:14 PM
I'd go for it. It is not THAT bad. Once it gets a layer of barn dirt it eill be much more "muted". Or you can get it repainted for a lot lesss than $5K.

I agree. I don't think the color is that bad. And any truck that can safely pull a 2-horse looks good to me!

Sithly
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:22 PM
Not too bad! I'd buy it, especially for 5k off! Awesome.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:32 PM
That is a butt ugly color. :lol: What a tough decision.

My thoughts exactly. That is not a color I would ever dream of having on any vehicle personally. But then again, 5k is a nice chunk of change.

Years ago, when I was shopping for my very first brand new car, the only one on the lot was red. I am NOT a red car person. I sat there using my best dumb-blonde act with the salesman, telling him over and over that I hated the color, and couldn't he please locate the car in a color that I wanted? He kept running back to the manager, and they knocked a lot of money off the price until I finally said OK, I'll take it.

Maybe you could get some interesting decals to help break it up a bit.

strawberry roan
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:46 PM
Get it. You may end up falling in love with it! And if not, just get it repainted. :):)

dmalbone
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:00 PM
I don't think it's bad at all. I like weird car colors though

MHM
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:18 PM
Get it. You may end up falling in love with it! And if not, just get it repainted. :):)

Ditto. Save the 5K (or more, if they're really hot to move it), then after 6 months, you might not even notice the color. If you do, you can paint it in the spring. :)

I think December is a good month to get a deal on a car.

AKB
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:41 PM
I think I would buy it. I drove a pink Volvo wagon for 8 years because I got a great deal on it. It was easy to find in any parking lot.

Go Fish
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:44 PM
I like it, seriously. But I'm "out there" on a lot of things.

dmalbone
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I drive a color that seems to be either you love it or hate it. It's the newer Ford green color that's kind of minty-kind of limey. "kiwi green" http://www.vacarsforsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/2007-Ford-Focus-ZX4-SE.jpg I've only passed a few like it and it's easy to spot.

Wayside
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:22 AM
I'd take a great deal on an ugly truck myself. In fact I have, more than once. Right now my trailering truck is an oh-so-attractive Packers special (think crazy green and gold) that I got a great deal on used. As previous posters have mentioned, I never have trouble finding it in the lot, and everyone always knows it's me when they see me on the road :lol:

Foxtrot's
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:59 AM
What's wrong with the colour? :) You don't drive the colour and I didn't read what colour your trailer was....it might be cheaper to paint the trailer to match.
$5 grand - that's a whole bunch of spendin' money. Hermes, Dior, Gucci....

rideagoldenpony
Dec. 13, 2009, 01:11 AM
Ewww.... that's not a very attractive color, but for a $5k savings, I could definitely live with it!!!

poltroon
Dec. 13, 2009, 01:47 AM
For like $150 you can get yourself some sweet decal flames and/or crazy pinstriping.... You could probably even get custom ones done of horse line art! :D

BasqueMom
Dec. 13, 2009, 01:47 AM
Wasn't as bad as I thought--not like that bright yellow Dodge or Chevy has.
Much more gold than our Expedition, though. For $5K, maybe I could learn to love it, alright, like it!

fordtraktor
Dec. 13, 2009, 09:31 AM
Sweet, it seems like there is a consensus. Gold truck, here I come.

It is only natural that I buy a gold truck. After all, I ride my hunter/jumpers in (gasp) a black saddle. I got a good deal on that too!

pintopiaffe
Dec. 13, 2009, 10:02 AM
I read it too as SPENDING $5k more...

To SAVE $5k I'd drive puke-coloured-camo if the TRUCK was what I needed.

I'm usually an aesthetic snob... but, I'm obviously really easy when it comes to FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. :eek: :lol:

$5k right now would get me completely out of the un/underemployment hole and sitting WAY more pretty than I am right now.

deltawave
Dec. 13, 2009, 10:41 AM
Only if I'd won the Powerball and could laugh off $5000. :)

CatOnLap
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:23 AM
you guys are Maaco cultists? you ever see a $500 paint job?

yeeeeach.

I had my F150 repainted a few years back- the whole thing, including inside the box and the door jambs, with no runs, no orange peel and 5 years later the job was still perfect, but it cost closer to $3000, not $500. I suppose if you don't care that the job only covers the outer skin, has many visible runs and other flaws, is not in the door jambs, interior or the box, and starts peeling in a year or two you *might* get away with $1000 at some places.

I'd live with the colour.

GoForAGallop
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:37 AM
A quality paintjob for my Suburban, in my area, ran us around $1500. That was over eight years ago and it still looks great. (Well, the clear coat is a little faded by now, but the truck takes a beating with very little love, and even factory coats fade.) No, don't go to Maaco. But yes, get the truck and get it painted in whatever color you want, for significantly less than $5k.

Catonlap, if you do indeed live on an island, I'm sure things are more expensive. :)

CatOnLap
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:55 AM
plus changing the colour costs way more than simply repainting in the same colour, and a suburban has less sheet metal to cover than a pick up.

Good quality car paint is over $100 a gallon here. and we painted the entire truck- inside and out, in the box, under the hood, in the cab, so that the colour matched.

The island is about 5% more in cost of living than the mainland.

Alagirl
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:58 AM

as somebody who owns a white silverado in an ocean of white silverados, not to mention any other make of white fullsize truck, go with color.

5k buys a lot of grain, horses tires, what have you.

CatOnLap
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:07 PM
haha. when I painted my truck, I went from puke beige to white...

mswillie
Dec. 13, 2009, 01:00 PM
Buy it. 5K is a lot of money. Anyone else who doesn't like it doesn't have to look at it.

BTW I've seen much worse. Actually I've driven much worse. ;)

GoForAGallop
Dec. 13, 2009, 02:57 PM
plus changing the colour costs way more than simply repainting in the same colour, and a suburban has less sheet metal to cover than a pick up.

Good quality car paint is over $100 a gallon here. and we painted the entire truck- inside and out, in the box, under the hood, in the cab, so that the colour matched.

The island is about 5% more in cost of living than the mainland.

Ours was sanded down, primed, and repainted a different color. And yes, all the door jambs, tail gate edges, under the hood, all was done. It was a quality job. And I'm not sure how you're figuring in less sheet metal, considering there's twice as much roof as a pickup?

But whatever, no point in arguing. Maybe I just have a better car-paint guy than you did. :lol: But the point is, to paint it costs less than $5k, if the OP just can't live with the (not-that-bad....I've seen worse!) yellow.

Alagirl
Dec. 13, 2009, 03:12 PM
lol, for 5k I's drive a tweety bird yellow car, bright orange or booger green....:cool:

Invite
Dec. 13, 2009, 04:25 PM
In my area, I think people intentionally buy hideously colored vehicles so they can have a "cool" vanity plate which kind of gives the color a personality, if you will. I do not understand the concept, but to each his own. My father adores his now old Cadillac. Before it came home, he told me the car was "Calypso Green". The damn thing is teal..BRIGHT TEAL!!! It has not faded with age. I have named it "The Teal Mobile" The man actually chose this vehicle. At least he didn't buy the other one my mother told me he looked at...it was raspberry aka. PINK. Pink is my favorite color, but a large man driving an even larger pink Cadillac would be far too much.
The moral of my Cadillac tale is your truck could be far worse...It could match my father's car or his almost car!

cutemudhorse
Dec. 13, 2009, 05:41 PM
It's really not that bad! Especially for a $5K savings! Wouldn't be my first choice either but sure you could get it painted eventually if it doesn't grow on you. I'd go for it bec of the savings. I'd probably ask the dealer if they were SURE they couldn't find one in a better color for not that much more, but I say "Go Fot It."

wildlifer
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:28 AM
For about $200 you can put some awesome equine line art graphics on it then everyone will be jealous of your gold pony hauler.

Frank B
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:31 AM
It's not that bad. Heck, I took an SUV in a color I wasn't fond of to save $2k. I drove it for over 100k miles with no regrets.

Beware of cheap paint jobs! You're just asking for trouble!

Diamondindykin
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:42 AM
you guys are Maaco cultists? you ever see a $500 paint job?

yeeeeach.

I had my F150 repainted a few years back- the whole thing, including inside the box and the door jambs, with no runs, no orange peel and 5 years later the job was still perfect, but it cost closer to $3000, not $500. I suppose if you don't care that the job only covers the outer skin, has many visible runs and other flaws, is not in the door jambs, interior or the box, and starts peeling in a year or two you *might* get away with $1000 at some places.

I'd live with the colour.

You are absolutely correct CatOnLap!!! Me and my husband own a restoration shop and while we only do complete restorations........you get what you pay for and this is no exception. The OP would be better off living with the color rather than trying to get it repainted for under $2500.

I would really question why the truck is so cheap............I can't imagine it is only because of the color. I would have a mechanic look at it before I bought it just to make sure everything is on the up and up.

starrysky
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:11 AM
While I agree it's pretty fug, I would definitely buy that color to save $5K. :yes:

jetsmom
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:12 AM
A quality paint job will eat up a large part of the 5000.00, plus you will take a hit on the trade in value because it is a repaint if you ever plan on trading it in. So saving 5000. is only true if you don't repaint it.

Personally, I don't think the color is THAT bad. I'd probably buy it to save the money, and NOT repaint it.

fordtraktor
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting one in this color: http://dealerrevs.com/gallery/22068204.html

And still got a good deal! Love end of year bargains!

BrookdaleBay
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:36 PM
I would love to have a gold truck. I currently have a white Avalanche and its known around the barn as the 'Abominable Snow Monster' :cool: I wish I could afford a new paint job.

Bluey
Dec. 14, 2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting one in this color: http://dealerrevs.com/gallery/22068204.html

And still got a good deal! Love end of year bargains!

I like any color, as long as it is white, but that blue is sure nicer than the gold.
Saying that, the gold was not that bad, I expected a VW yellow.:eek:

MistyBlue
Dec. 14, 2009, 08:34 PM
That's a nice color! Mine is the blah old shiny beige. It's a Ford too, I think they call the color sandstone or something. This is my third beige vehicle in a row...got the first one because it was a lease deal they had and only two cars were available and the other one was some hideous color. After that one though I bought the next one in beige because you could only tell it was dirty when it rained on it and the brown dirty water that washed off, LOL!
I love the two tones on a truck too. :yes:

Diamondindykin...I definitely agree with you and Catonlap to go for a higher cost paint job. I've seen paint jobs peel right off!
But with new vehicles dealers often offer huge mark downs on colors that just don't fly well with the buying public. They want it off the lot...and they let the maker know when certain colors are avoided by the buyers so hopefully they discontinue the color.
When one of my daughters was car shopping they had a deal on the lot with a compact car, popular make and model and brand new with nice extras and it was marked down $6500. I asked the salesperson why that single car was marked down so much, she smiled and said, "The color, nobody wants it." It was metallic purple/mauve.

Alagirl
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:37 PM
That's a nice color! Mine is the blah old shiny beige. It's a Ford too, I think they call the color sandstone or something. This is my third beige vehicle in a row...got the first one because it was a lease deal they had and only two cars were available and the other one was some hideous color. After that one though I bought the next one in beige because you could only tell it was dirty when it rained on it and the brown dirty water that washed off, LOL!
I love the two tones on a truck too. :yes:

Diamondindykin...I definitely agree with you and Catonlap to go for a higher cost paint job. I've seen paint jobs peel right off!
But with new vehicles dealers often offer huge mark downs on colors that just don't fly well with the buying public. They want it off the lot...and they let the maker know when certain colors are avoided by the buyers so hopefully they discontinue the color.
When one of my daughters was car shopping they had a deal on the lot with a compact car, popular make and model and brand new with nice extras and it was marked down $6500. I asked the salesperson why that single car was marked down so much, she smiled and said, "The color, nobody wants it." It was metallic purple/mauve.

Right now is car buying time anyhow!

But metalic mauve/purple sounds like green/gray...(aaahhhhh the color of money....)

caradino
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:26 AM
okay, i actually really like the gold!!

but then again, i also LOVE the burnt orange color that's started showing up on cars in the past few years. would have gotten orange when i got my little sentra last year, but it didn't come in that color, so i settled for red. :)

the blue is pretty too, though. congrats on the new truck!

philosoraptor
Dec. 15, 2009, 11:20 AM
$5,000 is a lot of money! In a few years when you sell the truck, you'd still have the $5,000 in the bank. Take the gold truck. Who cares what color it is! And you've got to think that some people must like that color or they'd have never put that color on trucks.

Boomer
Dec. 15, 2009, 01:35 PM
Eh, while not the most attractive color it's not as hideous as I thought it would be.

It's not as bad as I thought it would be either. $5000 can buy lots of other cool stuff.

Think of it this way - in a lot full of trailers/trucks at the next horse event, all your friends will know you're there!

Alagirl
Dec. 15, 2009, 02:09 PM
It's not as bad as I thought it would be either. $5000 can buy lots of other cool stuff.

Think of it this way - in a lot full of trailers/trucks at the next horse event, all your friends will know you're there!

is that a pro or a con? :confused:

:lol::lol::lol:

imapepper
Dec. 15, 2009, 02:34 PM
For like $150 you can get yourself some sweet decal flames and/or crazy pinstriping.... You could probably even get custom ones done of horse line art! :D

OMG....the picture in my head....that truck with flame decals :lol: And your name on the back window in script :lol: Or maybe let an artist friend go nuts on it ;) It is a butt ugly color but I am cheap enough that I would have to just buy it. Even if it cost $1k to repaint it you are still saving $4k :) And on the bright side, you would always be able to find your truck.

Adding....just saw the picture of the truck you did buy :) It's very cool!

2ndyrgal
Dec. 16, 2009, 10:03 PM
I have a dark green Ford F350 dually. My husband brought me home a brand new 3 horse trailer one afternoon. He did call and ask if I minded that it was red. Silly me, I thought he meant it had red STRIPES, not that the entire trailer, inside and out was absolutely bright, Coca Cola can RED!!. Now at that time, I not only showed in the hunters but foxhunted. It looked like some demented hillybilly Santa was arriving at the fixture when I pulled in. But...in a sea of white truck/trailer combos at the KHP, EVERYONE knew which rig was mine.
And nobody ever stole the trailer.

snowman0920
Dec. 16, 2009, 10:04 PM
I work in the car/truck sales business. Be careful. If you buy an ugly truck, you may get ripped a big one when you go to trade it in. 'Cause the dealer may be afraid of getting stuck with it.

True story (about a car, not a truck). A few years ago a guy came in and wanted to special order a ***** from us with a silver exterior and a beige interior. Not a color combination any sane person would want.) We made him give us a $5,000 non-refundable deposit, so if he backed out we could hold our noses and discount the car. He came back in recently to trade it in. Guess how this story ends.....

fordtraktor
Dec. 17, 2009, 11:49 AM
I have a dark green Ford F350 dually. My husband brought me home a brand new 3 horse trailer one afternoon. He did call and ask if I minded that it was red. Silly me, I thought he meant it had red STRIPES, not that the entire trailer, inside and out was absolutely bright, Coca Cola can RED!!. Now at that time, I not only showed in the hunters but foxhunted. It looked like some demented hillybilly Santa was arriving at the fixture when I pulled in. But...in a sea of white truck/trailer combos at the KHP, EVERYONE knew which rig was mine.
And nobody ever stole the trailer.

So funny -- actually when I was growing up we had a navy blue truck and a 4 horse trailer with LQ -- that was Coca Cola can red! That was just great, until the blue truck died and we got a great deal on a burgundy one....yuck.

rmh_rider
Dec. 17, 2009, 12:15 PM
I would not buy this truck with this color. If I did, I would immediately take the truck and have it painted. Like on the way home. OR I would get some spray paint and do it myself.

There are a few trucks (2 actually) around here, chevy that is gold. Tan, whatever you wanna call it, but basically GOLD, and it is recognizable everywhere. You look at it and say ewwww gold. It is very odd. You don't blend in. You stick out, and not in a good way. I certainly wouldn't want to be recognized ALL the time by my truck. Might not be safe.

There is another non-winning color around here too. Small town. It is an aqua colored truck. It has a matching canopy. This truck has not sold for at least 6 years. Yes, it is on a used dealer lot.

Financially speaking, if you buy this gold thing, you may never be able to get rid of it. And sometime you just might have to. That is why the truck is $5k less. They had to lower it to the right price to get a buyer.

If that truck looks anything like the link picture, ick!

Also I would never be safe pulling ANY trailer with that trailer, ratings be danged. It has to be able to stop, and those trucks imo are not safe to do so, nor to handle a trailer, every seen one wiggle?

I am a firm believer in you can't ride a head, nor a color with regards to horses, but trucks that is an all different matter.

Think future resale, you may NEVER get rid of it. And nobody keeps a truck forever and ever, and things happen in life so you may have to get rid of the truck.