View Full Version : Oh pleather boots, where have you been all my life?

Dec. 12, 2009, 07:16 PM
:D I have a little hike to get to the indoor arena at my barn. Since my nice dress boots were getting wet and muddy almost daily on the walk up there--I decided to get some crummy boots to wear for the winter. I ordered some of those Saxon boots which are fake leather. I was amazed at how good they looked when I took them out of the box. Did not look or feel like "pleather"!

Well, I wore them today for the first time. I had to catch both my horses out in the field and tromp across the snowy, uneven ground up to the barn. Then I did 2 rides so I ended up wearing them for at least 4 hours.

Oh my--NO cuts behind my knees, NO raw ankles that I normally get when breaking in a boot. Soooo comfortable that I didn't even want to take them off!! And, I can just hose them off to clean them. I am sure they will probably wear faster than other boots--but they were cheap enough that I don't mind. I am seriously thinking of showing in them next year. My other dress boots are still in the process of being broken in and although they are "ok" for riding--walking very much in them is very uncomfortable.

Does anyone else here wear synthetic leather boots (and do you show in them)?

Dec. 12, 2009, 07:18 PM
My dear, horse people wear synthetic leather boots. Hookers and go go dancers wear pleather.

Dec. 12, 2009, 07:56 PM
I only put on my riding boots when it's time to RIDE. Otherwise I live in my Muck boots outside. Although this year I've got a pair of Ariat "Barnyard" waterproof winter paddocks (half price on ebay!) :D that are making me change my mind little by little.

Still, a cheap-o pair of tall boots that I didn't mind wrecking for lessons, clinics--hmmm, tempting! Where did you get 'em?

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:03 PM
Yessss, tell us MORE!!!! :D

This sounds almost too good to be true; but sometimes, you get lucky enough to stumble onto something that *really* comes through, and is not only "as good as advertised", but in fact winds up being "better than as advertised"! OOH, goody, and BONUS!!

If this is one of those most special and unique things, we need more information! (And testimonials would be good too--but this thread is young...;))

Dec. 12, 2009, 08:39 PM
They are the Saxon "Equi leather" boots. You can get them from SmartPak or Dover. A couple of the junior riders at my barn recommended them and I am impressed. They were $75. They only have field style boots (that I found).

And enjoytheride: thank you for that clarification on fake leather lingo! ;)

Dec. 12, 2009, 10:14 PM
i am also a member of the saxon "equileather" cult... they are amazing- i got a compliment on my "new boots" in the hunt field and giggled to myself since they were the saxons! oh so comfy too! they met my new saddle for the first time the other day and i do have to say that the squeak fest was a little embarassing but other than that- you would never know they weren't real leather!

Dec. 13, 2009, 12:06 AM
Just a little warning that these really don't last very long-- I went through 2-4 pairs (Dover sent replacements a few times). The stitching really starts to go (especially at the top). Other than that, they really were nice-- I'd rather school in some Ariat tall boots though. Maybe you'll have better luck with them though! :)

Dec. 13, 2009, 12:46 AM
Interesting... How do they break in?

Dec. 13, 2009, 01:26 AM
I'm not looking for boots, but looked these up based on the post. Am curious.. the descriptions all say washable. Now to me.. when I see washable I think you can throw it in the washing machine. What is their meaning of "washable"? Can you really throw them in the washer and expect them to come out ok?

Dec. 13, 2009, 02:30 PM
I bought a pair of these boots this past spring and I love them. I have always been negligent in caring for my nice leather boots about the only care they would get was to be wiped off with a wet towel to take the worst of the dirt of them. I found these boots on sale for only $35 at a local tack shop and thought I would give them a try. They look pretty good for synthetic and most people will assume that they are leather. They do not rerquire any breaking in period and I found them comfortable enough to walk in all day long. The best part is that there is no guilt in neglecting them! They can be wiped clean with a wet towel or even hosed down and they will look just the same afterwards! In addition, they have a zipper up the back and a really nice shape that conforms and flatters the leg.

Mine are starting to show wear, they are cracking at the place where the boot creases from your toes bending, but my Ariat paddock boots have all done that as well. I don't think that they will look good enough to show in next year, but they will still be functional for schooling and my NEXT pair of Saxon's (yes, I love them so much that I am going to buy another pair) will be saved just for showing.

Dec. 13, 2009, 02:42 PM
Another vote for the Saxons, bought them last year when the budget was tight, and I love them. They require no break in period, and are very comfortable. I have to say, they can squeak on certain saddle though. Mine have lasted long enough that even if they bust now, they were worth the money

Dec. 13, 2009, 02:42 PM
Personally, I found them rather stiff and uncomfortable, but I'm glad I'm in the minority as it's good that there are alternatives to the more expensive leather boots.

Dec. 13, 2009, 02:56 PM
Has anyone noticed any excessive wear on your saddle flaps from the tops of the boots rubbing them? I was considering them but wondered if they would cause saddle flaps to wear more because they aren't leather. . .