PDA

View Full Version : Ppl. with Nelson waters - new user and ? about the heating elements

Nanerpus
Dec. 12, 2009, 05:59 PM
Just got my horses home this year and we have Nelson Waterers in their stalls (model 740 I think).

Anyways, they are working GREAT and the horses are doing great with them. Yesterday we turned on the heating breaker for each as it got cold enough that they were beginning to freeze (tiny skin of ice on the water).

They seem to keep the water a very comfortable, "tepid" temperature. All seems to be going well since we put them on yesterday, it stunk a bit of burn-off of the dust on the heating strip but the electrician said that was perfectly normal (he happened to be there when we turned them on) for new heaters and the smell would go away, which it basically has.

So I just have a general question/s for those who have these and use them - anything I should know? I clean them everyday, shut of the water and wash out the pan and turn them back on. Should I clean the little bits of hay out of them several times a week, anything I should know about cleaning them?

tangledweb
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:34 PM
I would have thought cleaning them every day defeated the purpose of being automatic.

I have the outdoor kind, and just glance at them to make sure they are full.

ShadowsMom
Dec. 13, 2009, 02:43 PM
I have them outdoors and look at them everyday to see if the water is clean. If it isn't, I dump them and sometimes wipe them out. Mine don't get hay in them, so I don't know about that. I love them outside and wish I had put them inside, too.

saddleup
Dec. 13, 2009, 04:39 PM
I just check them every day or so to make sure the water's clean. Usually it is. I took a shop vac to them before the weather got cold and vaccuumed up all the dust and hay inside, under the water bowl. Other than that, and periodic scrubbing of either the bowl or the cover (I know it has an official name) I just ignore them.

Their customer service department is very helpful, by the way. Just in case..

strawberry roan
Dec. 15, 2009, 03:55 PM
If any little bits of hay do get in there, clean them out. I empty the water in mine every day. Love them!! :):)

Hilary
Dec. 15, 2009, 06:05 PM
Mine is outdoors too so I check to make sure the electricity is still running (those cords with a little light in the plug are very good for this) and nothing froze up - I need a lightbulb in the housing on the really frigid nights but in a barn you're probably OK with just the heating element - and I just take the bowl out and put my hand near it to see if it's putting out heat - it gets warm, so don't just press your finger on it

I love mine - one of my best investments.

Nanerpus
Dec. 15, 2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks everybody! We loved them all summer, but it's our first winter and after turning on the heating elements they seem to be working perfectly.

Like I said, the electrician was there working on stuff in our barn when we turned them on and between him, my husband, and myself/the Nelson's manual I'm sure they are set, but I figured since I had seen so many threads about Nelson's on here and the amount of ppl who have them, it wouldn't hurt to just see if there was anything I should check for/be aware of.

I just got my horses home this past spring so I'm still getting the hang of everything and seeing how everything works in the barn/paddocks.

:)Thanks again!

MistyBlue
Dec. 15, 2009, 07:47 PM
In winter when you open the tops to clean out the bowls, check under the balance cage for mouse nests and/or nut stashes if you had them installed open bottomed. Clean that out if you find it.
Other than that, another advice tip is if they get grungy you can easily run the bowls through your dishwasher. :winkgrin: But if you remove them daily, a quick swipe with a dry clean towel keeps them sparkling. :yes:

Nanerpus
Dec. 15, 2009, 07:53 PM
In winter when you open the tops to clean out the bowls, check under the balance cage for mouse nests and/or nut stashes if you had them installed open bottomed. Clean that out if you find it.
Other than that, another advice tip is if they get grungy you can easily run the bowls through your dishwasher. :winkgrin: But if you remove them daily, a quick swipe with a dry clean towel keeps them sparkling. :yes:

Great tip! I'll make sure I check. I'm not sure if they were installed that way or not...

I clean the pans out every 1 to 2 days, usually in the sink w/a scrubby bristled brush and they are nice and shiny. I also vacuum down in there once and again with everything shut off, so I can get any hay particles, etc. out. Love them! The heaters seem to keep the water the PERFECT temperature when it's freezing cold out - my pony takes huge huge drinks!

MistyBlue
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:12 PM
Nanerpus...if you just remove them, dump them and wipe out the interior quick with a clean dry washcloth they'll stay sparkly clean. I do that daily...just part of the stall cleaning routine. Takes all of about 30-45 seconds per waterer.
To see if you have open bottom ones, just bend and look underneath them. Even though all the same models...they can be installled with an open or closed bottom. If your water lines come up through the floor of each stall and you have the big steel insulators surrounding those, then it's definitely a closed bottom. If your water lines don't have the big insulator tubes or if the water lines come in through the wall, then the bottoms may be open or closed. There's a circular plate that can be added underneath with a small hole for the littlest waterline to run through. Those mice can't get into. But spiders can...so also keep a check for webs starting in there.
If you want a water meter, Nelson sells those too. They used to be $65 per meter, not sure the price now. You can install it however you like...either one for each stall or if you only have a couple horses you can install it on the waterline before either stalll so it measures both stalls at once. Either way it lets you know if drinking slows down.
When vacuuming or wiping out the inside of the housing, make sure to not disturb the water line inside the unit. If it's moved too far one way or the other it may get too close to the heater or the heater plate. Then a little hole melts right through it and everything in that stall gets a shower. Ask how I know that! :winkgrin:
If you get one that starts dripping a bit instead of staying shut off when no horse is drinking I can walk you through how to fix that, it's pretty simple. They do that sometimes right after installation because new water pipes have some tiny bits of sawed plastic in there that let loose once in a while and gets caught in just the wrong spot inside the unit. It's a pretty quick and easy fix to clear that out.

Nanerpus
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:13 AM
Nanerpus...if you just remove them, dump them and wipe out the interior quick with a clean dry washcloth they'll stay sparkly clean. I do that daily...just part of the stall cleaning routine. Takes all of about 30-45 seconds per waterer.
To see if you have open bottom ones, just bend and look underneath them. Even though all the same models...they can be installled with an open or closed bottom. If your water lines come up through the floor of each stall and you have the big steel insulators surrounding those, then it's definitely a closed bottom. If your water lines don't have the big insulator tubes or if the water lines come in through the wall, then the bottoms may be open or closed. There's a circular plate that can be added underneath with a small hole for the littlest waterline to run through. Those mice can't get into. But spiders can...so also keep a check for webs starting in there.
If you want a water meter, Nelson sells those too. They used to be $65 per meter, not sure the price now. You can install it however you like...either one for each stall or if you only have a couple horses you can install it on the waterline before either stalll so it measures both stalls at once. Either way it lets you know if drinking slows down.
When vacuuming or wiping out the inside of the housing, make sure to not disturb the water line inside the unit. If it's moved too far one way or the other it may get too close to the heater or the heater plate. Then a little hole melts right through it and everything in that stall gets a shower. Ask how I know that! :winkgrin:
If you get one that starts dripping a bit instead of staying shut off when no horse is drinking I can walk you through how to fix that, it's pretty simple. They do that sometimes right after installation because new water pipes have some tiny bits of sawed plastic in there that let loose once in a while and gets caught in just the wrong spot inside the unit. It's a pretty quick and easy fix to clear that out.

MistyBlue,

Thanks so much - I know who to talk to if we need to troubleshoot! Thanks! I checked them this morning and they are definitely closed. I will be sure not to disturb the water line when I clean them!I do think I want to get the consumption meters in the future. Both my guys are really great drinkers, both inside and from their heated tubs outdoors, but it's a good thing to have I think.