PDA

View Full Version : Barn Amenities

Ballibebe
Dec. 12, 2009, 02:49 PM
What are some cool amenities would you like to see in a high scale training facility? Or what are some amenities that you have seen at training facilities that you thought where cool?

VarsityHero4
Dec. 12, 2009, 06:37 PM
I dream of the day I can have a covered walker so when the weather is really bad the horses can still get the exercise. Someday when I win the lottery...

katie+tru
Dec. 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
Gosh, all I really want now is a heated tack room and a heated wash stall to wash the mud covered horses more thoroughly.

tle
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:03 PM
covered walker/lunge/round pen... one separate from riding arenas. Along those same lines, a jumping chute would be fabulous. As would some kind of swimming pool. a well maintained gallop track, preferably with some kind of terrain. Obviously a climate controlled tack room, lounge and bathroom. Washer/dryer. Ability to pipe music into the arena as well as mic clinicians. Arena mirrors. Plenty of turnout. Plenty of trails with interesting things like creek crossings and hills. Of course gorgeous stalls.

Hey, you said "high end" thoughts/observations. Of course none of this matters if there isn't fantastic care.

mishmash
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:44 PM
Number 1: adequate turnout space, and safe turnout areas, with good pasture. At least 12 hours of turnout a day-rain or shine.
Roomy stalls, with good ventilation, and auto waterers. Stalls cleaned daily and adequately bedded. An overhead fan for summer cooling is good.
Wide aisles, and adequate grooming and tack areas for number of horses. Dont need heated tack room, but adequate space for boarder tack/supplies. Wash stall with GOOD drainage, and hot/cold water.
Lounge with heat/cooling, and bathroom. Doesn't have to be fancy.
Indoor arena, with good, frequently groomed and watered footing. Good lighting. Mirrors on at least 2 walls. Indoor round pen separate from arena. Tall, sturdy mounting block (not 3 step plastic thingy). Outdoor arena, with good footing, and trails around property.
Willingness to feed supplements that I provide. Quality hay-prefer alfalfa fed at least twice a day, when grass is eaten down.
And most important: competent, knowledgable horse people running it.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:08 PM
Things I expect no matter what:
~intelligent horsey staff
~clean stall with safe walls, adequate ventilation, appropriate temperatures year round, and buckets scrubbed regularly
~Turn out with safe fencing and herd grouped according to who gets along with who
~At least 1 riding arena with safe footing
~ Willingness to meet my horse's nutritional needs (we do low starch)
~appropriate feed storage so there is limited contamination from varmits
~running water
~electricity
~put on one blanket when below a certain temp

Nice to haves (ones with * are ones i'd be willing to pay more for):
~arena lights
~hot water
~cross ties
~more than one arena*
~dressage arena*
~rolling hilled pastures for riding*
~trails
~jumps
~skilled instructors on sight*
~heated/cooled tack area
~indoor arena*
~trailering to shows*
~ blanket changing*
~gallop track
~ large round pen
~treadmill
~exercise pool
~really nice jumps*
~cross country course*

BestHorses
Dec. 13, 2009, 04:55 PM
I echo what others have said about the basics for excellent horse care, turnout, etc. What I've never had at any place I've boarded, but would love are:

*Prepared surface galloping lane around the property with rolling hills, etc.
*Prepared surface flat galloping lanes with measured distances for pacing.
*Safe cross-country course with jumps at intro levels and up including water.
*Grooming stalls with lights inset into walls at hip height in addition to regular overhead lights.
*Separate small barn or oversized stall at barn end for farrier/vet work only to keep barn aisles clear.
*Covered trailer parking.
*Individual indoor arenas. JK, but how NICE that would be!!!

klmck63
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:49 AM
What everyone else said, with the addition of heat lamps in the wash rack. I don't imagine they're terribly expensive, but they're sure nice to have around!

AnotherRound
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:52 AM
I don't think they woulod be if they were turned off after use, but if they got left on, yeow, then they would be.

AnotherRound
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:58 AM
Wow, I love the ideas - I would love the galloping lanes, rolling hills grassed around the perimeter of the propterty AND a regular track measured, too. Of course, a great big outside course, all kinds of jumps, throught the woods, and adjacent to a state forest with all kinds of trails and terraine for coniditoning and practice, including some good sized streams, bridges and ponds for swimming horses. Great jumps and go arounds through the woods, for hunter paces. Jumper outside ring. Hunter/eq ring. Several dressage courts. Inside dressage arena and inside jumping arena. Flat polo field.

- stalls 14 x 14, deeply bedded with shavings
- many grooming racks
-heated wash racks with heat lamps
- constant waterers (heated pipes)
- grassed turnout and enough separate turnouts for individual turnout when desired
Everything else everyone said.

Mara
Dec. 14, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'll add one I haven't already seen: shower/locker facilities for human beings. It'd be nice to do an early AM ride, clean up, and go straight to work. Or straight out to dinner in the evening without a stopover at home to clean up.
I'm not sure it's something that would be in much demand, though.

2DogsFarm
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:03 PM
covered walker/lunge/round pen... one separate from riding arenas. Along those same lines, a jumping chute would be fabulous. As would some kind of swimming pool. a well maintained gallop track, preferably with some kind of terrain. Obviously a climate controlled tack room, lounge and bathroom. Washer/dryer. Ability to pipe music into the arena as well as mic clinicians. Arena mirrors. Plenty of turnout. Plenty of trails with interesting things like creek crossings and hills. Of course gorgeous stalls.

Hey, you said "high end" thoughts/observations. Of course none of this matters if there isn't fantastic care.

I boarded at a place with all of the above except the swimming pool & the gallop track.
When I left in 2000 board was $675/month. :eek:
It also had an in-house vacuum system in the washrack.
Plus washrack had those lovely overhead heatlamps.
You could safely bathe a horse when it was -10 outside.

BUT:
Like you said - care could have been better.
16 horses with 3 smallish (less than an acre each) paddocks for turnout - everyone got out for about 3 hours a day.
whoopee :(
A vaccination schedule that bordered on ridiculous - including a "bible" that my vet had to sign each time he came.
And a $20 charge for pasteworming my horses - which I was NOT allowed to do myself.

Aside from lack of turnout, care was otherwise adequate and not a single boarder - except for DH & me - used the 40ac of trails including a cross-country course with fences from BN to Training level, plenty of varied terrain & not one, but 2 creek crossings.

Owner was an Asshat with much more money than horse knowledge.
The place is now a handicapped riding center - "donated" when his tax exempt status ran out, and after all boarders had decamped.

JSwan
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:05 PM
Or what are some amenities that you have seen at training facilities that you thought where cool?

A bar! :D

I lived overseas a while ago and used to ride at a local barn.

The lounge overlooking the indoor arena had a bar in it.

I never missed a lesson. ;)

Go Fish
Dec. 14, 2009, 03:04 PM
Asphalt or gravel on walkways to barns and arenas and adequate parking haven't been mentioned.

Bathroom facilities - perhaps more than ONE at bigger facilities. I love the one block walk to the bathroom at my boarding facility. Well, at least they keep it clean and have enough TP in there!

TO is an issue where I live, but can't be helped. You learn to live with 2-3 hour TO in small pens.

I hate bad footing and it's enough to make me pass on a facility, all other things being equal.

Trunk storage at professional barns is a plus. Indiviual tack rooms for trainers is another.

tle
Dec. 14, 2009, 04:09 PM

I knew a barn about an hour from here that had a really nice lounge overlooking their large indoor (yes they had more than one - this one was large AND had stadium seating) that had a full kitchenette and bar. Had some fun there with clinics!

Bluey
Dec. 14, 2009, 04:17 PM

That may have been the riding school I grew up in.:cool:

I think the most important part of a barn catering to other than the owners is ... a bathroom.

thatmoody
Dec. 14, 2009, 04:21 PM
Our new barn plans include a bathroom with a shower, and I cannot WAIT! It will make riding before work a pleasure.

I want a covered arena, though, because I'm tired of this rain.

We also have individual tack rooms planned, and that is NOT a luxury - I'll be happy to have my stuff to myself again.

hellerkm
Dec. 15, 2009, 06:20 AM
Gosh, all I really want now is a heated tack room and a heated wash stall to wash the mud covered horses more thoroughly.
AMEN oh and an indoor would be nice too!:)

Phaxxton
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:04 AM
A truly upscale facility? As in my dream upscale facility? Oh I could go on and on... I've spent way too much time thinking about this! :lol:

In addition to a professional, knowledgeable, and skilled staff...

Multiple rings, including a huge indoor arena, a large covered arena, a full-sized dressage ring, and 2 huge jumping rings. A grass jumping field and/or a cross-country course would also be nice. Superior footing and lighting in all rings, of course. ;)

A covered round pen so people will not have to longe in the riding arenas.

Covered hot walker.

High ceilings with ceiling fans

Fire alarm systeam with sprinkler system in the barns

Heated indoor wash stalls for winter bathing

Heated / AC viewing lounge

Bathroom with showers

Laundry service

Extra wide aisles in the barn

Heated / AC tack rooms with oversized tack lockers and room for a tack trunk.

Entire facility MUST be fenced and cross-fenced.

4-board wood or PVC-over-wood fencing. Chutes between pastures to avoid fighting / halter tag over the fences.

Dutch doors outside every stall leading to a small run

Fly spray system in the barn

Fold-down grilles on the stalls -- this way horses can hang their heads out, but the grille can be put up when horses are in cross-ties.

Rubber matted stalls, bedded deeply.

Oversized stalls (14x14 +)

Drink machines and/or a cafe to buy food and drinks on site

On-site gym with lap pool for rider cross-training. (Hey, I said this is my dream facility! :lol:)

Auto waterers

Adequate pasture and 12-hour turnout every day

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 15, 2009, 02:02 PM
I rode for awhile at a TB training facility that had a practice race track (probably a half mile)--so nice.

I echo the covered walkers and of course the bar!