PDA

View Full Version : Dec 21, 07:04 AM EDST

pintopiaffe
Dec. 12, 2009, 12:23 PM
Who else is more excited about the Solstice than the rest of the Holidays?

I cannot WAIT for the days to get longer.

Less than 9 hours of daylight here right now. :dead:

I HATE getting up in the cold & dark to do morning chores... only to arrive home after a mere 8 hour shift to darkness again. :no:

Of course, t'mow is my last regularly scheduled day shift too... but that's ok. I'm ALL FOR days getting longer!!!

wsmoak
Dec. 12, 2009, 12:39 PM
Me! We get down to just under 10 hours and I am counting the days.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=197&month=12&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Phoenix has exactly two seasons: "hot" and "dark".

Mia412
Dec. 12, 2009, 12:44 PM
Count me in too! I'm tired of feeding in the dark AM & PM!

Marshfield
Dec. 12, 2009, 12:58 PM
I too celebrate the start of winter and the lengthening days. It starts to get dark at 3:30 in the afternoon here. So, we're at under 10 hours of daylight a day.

LAZ
Dec. 13, 2009, 10:47 AM
Me, too! For some reason this winter the dark is really getting to me. I'll be delighted to be back on the upswing.

tle
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
Always! But then that's what we do. Whole family will be getting up to watch the sunrise on the solstice... after which I'll be heading to work. :(

tanderson
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:52 AM
I've been counting the days since we set the clocks back! Right now, I leave for work at 6am and it's pitch black and I get home from work at 5:30 and it's pitch black! So depressing!

shea'smom
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:25 PM
I can handle the daylight, if we could just make it STOP RAINING!
I swore after the last drought that I would never complain about rain again... but, I lied.

Arcadien
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:27 PM
LOL, glad I'm not the only one! It's so funny as Dec 22nd is really just as dark as Dec 21st, but I am much happier on the former by the mere fact that is getting one minute LIGHTER day by day, instead of the other way around!

Can't wait!

Rhyadawn
Dec. 13, 2009, 01:42 PM
I will be celebrating at the fireplace like I do every year!

Coreene
Dec. 13, 2009, 02:47 PM
Check the monthly or yearly sunrise/sunset times for your zip code. The earliest sunset time in So Cal is from 12/1-12/11 (remains static for 11 days), and the latest sunrise is from 1/1-1/14 (ditto). ;)

Plumcreek
Dec. 13, 2009, 02:52 PM
Check the monthly or yearly sunrise/sunset times for your zip code. The earliest sunset time in So Cal is from 12/1-12/11 (remains static for 11 days), and the latest sunrise is from 1/1-1/14 (ditto). ;)

Thank you, Coreene!! I swear that it is light now at 5 pm, where several weeks ago it was dark at 4:45 pm. I am not aware enough in the early morning to calculate that change.

tabula rashah
Dec. 13, 2009, 04:22 PM
Totally agree- I hate going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. It means I don't get to ride unless I haul out somewhere on the weekends. I'm also celebrating the upcoming end of rifle season where here every idiot with a gun shoots 24/7 and I can't put my horses in the back field or even check my fence line without being threatened

fooler
Dec. 13, 2009, 04:27 PM

I cannot WAIT for the days to get longer.

Less than 9 hours of daylight here right now. :dead:

I HATE getting up in the cold & dark to do morning chores... only to arrive home after a mere 8 hour shift to darkness again. :no:

Of course, t'mow is my last regularly scheduled day shift too... but that's ok. I'm ALL FOR days getting longer!!!

For some reason I am anticipating this date more so than normal.

Serendipity
Dec. 13, 2009, 05:20 PM

Absolutely! I miss daylight...........

Penthilisea
Dec. 13, 2009, 08:07 PM
Me me me!
I have nothing to contribute but my passionate agreement!

Daydream Believer
Dec. 13, 2009, 08:51 PM
Yes, definitely can't wait for longer days! This Fall has been the most dismal I remember for weather. I'm so ready for more sunlight!

EqTrainer
Dec. 13, 2009, 09:02 PM
It is the finest day of the year :) we celebrate w/cocktails in the hot tub!

jen-s
Dec. 13, 2009, 09:29 PM
I can handle the daylight, if we could just make it STOP RAINING!
I swore after the last drought that I would never complain about rain again... but, I lied.

This. Although daylight will be nice too.

SOTB
Dec. 14, 2009, 12:16 PM
Can't wait!

JoZ
Dec. 14, 2009, 02:05 PM
I swear here in the PNW there are a few months during which the sun doesn't get above the trees! Add a thick blanket of clouds to that, and the ubiquitous drizzle, and it really seems like we are walking around in perpetual dusk.

The only good thing about it is that sometimes when the chores are done and it feels like it must be the middle of the night... it's only something like 6:45 p.m.!!!

So yes, keep that sun in the sky longer and push it up higher, and no one will get hurt...

CatOnLap
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:47 PM
we're planning a big bonfire and roast a celt on a spit...

...kidding, although it would go with the cinder block model of stone henge on the septic field...

...cocktails in the hot tub sounds about right actually.

tucktaway
Dec. 15, 2009, 05:50 PM
YES!!!!!!!!! And we celebreate accordingly :)!!
But don't mention June 21..that's a bad word around here......

vacation1
Dec. 15, 2009, 05:57 PM
Me too! I like the cold, but I hate the short days. It feels like you lose half your life when it gets dark at 4:20pm.

tle
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:44 PM
YES!!!!!!!!! And we celebreate accordingly :)!!
But don't mention June 21..that's a bad word around here......

I get your point... but June 21 is my anniversary. :) Did that for a reason.