PDA

View Full Version : when they say "make an offer"...

littletuna
Dec. 12, 2009, 01:12 PM
On their 40k horses...Can i trade? I have a super attractive Beta fish. Or i think i left a five dollar bill somewhere in my jeans...

Anyone else having a massive pity party they do not have 5 figures to spend on a nice eventer? Or you know...anything. I just want an attractive, sound, BN/N packer that was not born before me. That someone will just you know...give me ;)

frugalannie
Dec. 12, 2009, 02:45 PM
I dunno. I've often offered our first-born child, but no one will take her ;).

Don't know where you are LT, but I should think that what you describe would be available for a lot less than $40K. Maybe even free lease if their kid has gone away to school or outgrown the horse (ambition-wise, or size-wise) and they want to keep it in the family for another kid down the pike.

JeanieClarke2141
Dec. 12, 2009, 04:19 PM
I once went to look at a horse for sale through a BNT. I had significantly less to spend than was being asked, but a mutual professional friend of ours had suggested it would be a good horse of for me. I told the selling BNT clearly on the phone what I had to spend. I told him at least twice what my top dollar was, and I re-itterated that I was not BS-ing. He said I should come try the horse anyway. I loved it, offered every penny I had, and was told my offer was way out of line and borderline offensive. Oh well.

skip916
Dec. 12, 2009, 06:12 PM
I know of one for sale down here topping the points in Beg. Nov. horse in Area III and competing now at Novice. He's priced around 10k and worth every penny. Look up Tom Collins. I don't own him- just like him!!

shawneeAcres
Dec. 12, 2009, 06:24 PM
Why would you look at a $40K horse if you want someone to give you one??? Honestly it is frustrating as a seller to have people come and look and then offer a HUGELY lowball figure! I would prefer if someone told me up front what they had to spend and I could just tell them, No sorry won't take that.

ddashaq
Dec. 12, 2009, 06:59 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the OP was actually at a farm looking at a $40K horse without any intention to buy, I think that they were checking out an ad. At least, I would hope that they were not. I know of a 16 year old that is a Training Level and below packer for about $10K, so they are definitely out there. Just keep looking!

Hilary
Dec. 12, 2009, 07:03 PM
Well, maybe I'm feeling sympathetic tonight but I thought the OP was trying to be funny - a pretty beta fish for a $40K event horse?

The idea of interesting trades opens up a huge world of possibilites - for instance I have a one of a kind tandem recumbant bicycle with 4-way (hydraulic!) steering. In it's own special way it's priceless because there is only ONE of them in the world. But I don't really think an eventer would actually trade their equally 'priceless' horse for it....

On the serious side I'd say 20% of the asking price could be reasonable. And you just have to be prepared for the 'How dare you" response. At which point you shrug and say nothing ventured nothing gained. But if a buyer offered within 20% I'd say I'd have to consider it. Not that I have anything to sell (except, perhaps, that bicycle - any offers?)

In the world of professional fundraising they say "if you don't ask you won't get" and it's surprising how often the direct ask gets you a lot more than you might have anticipated. Same goes for offers on horses.

littletuna
Dec. 12, 2009, 07:35 PM
Jeanie: That is a terribly sad story :(

Shawnee: This was simply a generalization, and partial exaggeration, but the reference was to an add -- i would never waste a seller's time when i clearly cannot afford the horse!

Thanks to those who said to just keep looking. I know something will come along eventually...just frustrating sometimes that i cannot afford some of these really gorgeous and talented horses out there!

Hilary: I'll have you know Roy G Biv the 3rd has FEI potential...his fins have gorgeous extension ;) Your bicycle sounds interesting...But you are right, the days of trades are long gone.

Beam Me Up
Dec. 12, 2009, 07:46 PM
When I was growing up, there was a family that used to always advertise in the free classifieds "Looking to trade llamas for (a truck, a fridge, hay--it varied by month)" It always cracked me up--like how many people out there have an extra fridge and not enough llamas?

Anyway, I know I have similar fantasies to the OP when I see ads for gorgeous expensive horses--wouldn't it be awesome to somehow magically be able to have it.

To the other points, a horse is worth what someone will pay for it. Some horses are worth every penny of the asking price, others are ridiculously overpriced. Eventually they will have to sell for less, the owner will have to go though the anger/denial phase before they accept a low offer, but worth asking--maybe you aren't the first to offer a lot less.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:51 PM
...just frustrating sometimes that i cannot afford some of these really gorgeous and talented horses out there!

LOL....isn't that life? I drool at some of the farms and barns that I drive by daily....I make a good living, but will never be able to afford them. And with the talk in Congress right now...I'm afraid I wont be able to afford what I have right now (if they have their way) but that is a different topic.

Some of the nicest fanciest horses I've ever known...and a few that I owned...were the most inexpensive. There are some great diamonds in the rough out there...just waiting for you to put a bit of TLC into them. Keep looking and don't spend too much energy wishing for more $$$$ (but maybe spend a buck or two on a lottery ticket....you never know;))

flea
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:07 AM
What would one expect to pay for a short, successful Novice level horse in your area?

littletuna
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:20 PM
Flea...Would depends on the details i guess. I live in New England, so the price of just keeping a horse is many times more than in more "horse country" like the Mid Atlantic area. Why?

tuppysmom
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
The not too expensive horses are out there. Just maybe not in your neighborhood.

We once had a buyer call about a horse that I had advertised on another USEA area website. We discussed the horse and his training and competition record. She sounded a bit shocked when I told her our location and said that she would have to call me back. A day or three went by and I had written her off as a buyer. Then she called and said, "I called the airline and guess what? They go there!". I seriously think she was expecting wagon trains or stage coach travel.

She came, tried the horse, loved him, bought him for a third of the price of her local market and went away happy.

scubed
Dec. 13, 2009, 01:34 PM
I have bought almost all of my horses long distance, because I have enough frequent flyer miles and reasons for traveling for work, etc that I am happy to compromise on that. I have a friend who lives near me looking and there are two horses that seem perfect on paper, video etc, but they are in Georgia and her life doesn't allow for that. I have also bought horses (typically greenies) almost sight unseen (there have even been one or two where I didn't even see a still photo). Most have turned out pretty well. At the lower levels, there are often horses more available as kids grow out of them etc. There are some great horses on the market now in the north with winter coming etc. Heck there are a couple with great lower level records on their way up that I would buy in a heartbeat in the 8-10k range if I had the money (not only to buy, but to keep another horse)

jn4jenny
Dec. 13, 2009, 05:19 PM
She came, tried the horse, loved him, bought him for a third of the price of her local market and went away happy.

Agreed--geography makes a huge diff. In Michigan, you see BN/N packers in the four figures all the time, with the stipulation that you pick only ONE of these features: young, fancy, OR tall. Pick two features? That's five figures. Pick three figures and it packs at Novice? Same price as the East Coast since it can be sent south for sale in the winter. :lol:

To the OP, I can sympathize. But remember, every free ride and not-quite-right and even the downright loser horses teach you more about what you want in that future dream horse. It sucks to be at the beta fish stage, but you'll get where you wanna go. Enjoy the journey.

shawneeAcres
Dec. 13, 2009, 06:13 PM
OK OP sorry! thought you were serious! I do have a lot of folks that come here from long distances, especially the Northeast to buy horses. Have had one fly in from Maine and one from upstate NY and bought hroses for MUCH less than comparable horses in that area. They did not dicker on the price, jsut were happy to find good horses at reasonable prices!

jumpsnake
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:10 AM
My family once took a few hundred plus a fridge in trade for a horse. Just sayin' :lol:

Don't be discouraged! Heck, I can't afford a horse at all but consider myself lucky to get to ride a few times a week!

foxhavenfarm
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:21 AM
There are definitely some nice (younger) horses out there to be had for under 10k. You may just have to look a little further from home. :winkgrin:

Lisa Cook
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:28 AM
The locations of the last 3 horses I bought:

- 2 were from Canada
- 1 was from rural Kentucky, down by the Tennessee line (not up in the middle of traditional KY horse country)

New England is just a ridiculously expensive market..far cheaper for me to buy elsewhere.

frugalannie
Dec. 14, 2009, 12:39 PM
Yes, but a) being from New England and b) sometimes selling a horse in New England and c) sometimes buying horses in New England...

There are reasonably priced horses around. And there is value in getting one closer to home. You or your trainer may know the horse's connections, seen it compete, and otherwise have a level of comfort dealing with someone. You may well be able to use your regular vet or someone your vet knows well to do a prepurchase, you can see the horse more than once without a big trip, and getting the horse home can be much easier. Also, you are looking at a horse that is acclimated to conditions in New England. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was buying a horse from elsewhere that was simply unable to handle our footing (muddy/icy in the winter, hard as a carp in the summer).

One of my barnmates just got a truly lovely horse in New England for a bargain price. Many were looked at within the price range, and the buyer was willing to put in the time and be patient. But it was well worth it.

Just thought someone should stand up for New England based horses!

Horsegal984
Dec. 14, 2009, 06:34 PM
My dream horse is owned by a friend of mine... never gonna be in my price range tho. I told her as soon as I win the lottery I'm giving her whatever she wants for him. She siad 5 dollar, I offered a footlong sub.... still no horse yet lol!!

OP, I feel your pain. I've forced myself not to spend too much time looking right now because it's just too depressing. After riding dream horse all summer nothing is going to stack up to what I really want. :(