View Full Version : How to Insulate My Tack Room?

Dec. 12, 2009, 12:05 PM
I have a twenty year old, double box stall barn, built like a tobacco barn (gaps between exterior boards). I would love to insulate the tack room which has a hay loft above. The electrical panel is on the outside wall and it has three lights. When we bought the barn it was covered in vinyl siding. We removed the siding from three sides, but left the side with the tack room covered to keep the rain out of the tack room (the wall faces the prevailing winds. Eventually, we want to pull off the siding and are planning a barn expansion on that side.

I really would like to start by insulating the tack room, then adding heat and a hot water heater.

Any ideas on the best way to go about this?

Dec. 12, 2009, 12:17 PM
Icynene is often used in remodeling - where you don't want to tear down existing walls to add insulation.

The slow rising foam is used; the worker drills a small hole at the bottom of the wall and inserts the foam - it slowly rises and expands.

It's expensive - but if applied correctly (important as if you don't apply it correctly it doesn't cure) - it provides up to R25.

My barn and tack room are insulated with the product, and we're using it as we remodel our little hovel ahem - I mean house.

It may worth exploring as an option.

Dec. 12, 2009, 12:26 PM
I thought of that, but I'm pretty certain in would ooze out the outside wall, which is covered in siding (which I do want to remove eventually, but we're waiting until we start work on the addition...have to move electric, etc.) Then the outside wall will be the inside wall of the addition. Putting a walk thru in the wash stall so we will have a double aisle barn

Dec. 12, 2009, 12:30 PM
Any oozing bits can be scraped off when you get around to doing the addition.

You can use a metal curry comb to scrape it or a serrated knife or something; it's pretty easy.

Tom King
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:52 PM
If you are planning to go through there later, just use the pink or blue styrofoam sheets that Lowes and Home Depot sell. It'll be a lot easier than cutting out spray in foam or getting into a mess with fiberglass.

Dec. 12, 2009, 09:11 PM
Tom and the OP - I got the impression that you're not working with an empty cavity - there is an existing wall.

If it is an empty cavity you can access - I agree with Tom that you can use the panels. Much much cheaper and easier. There is also a product that comes in rolls but the name of it escapes me - I remember seeing it in the Farm Tek catalog.