PDA

View Full Version : Bit question? Eggbutt, loose ring, D-ring, full cheek?!

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 12, 2009, 12:02 AM
I am in the market for a slow twist bit. My horse has gone in a loose ring and a d-ring, but nothing else. I was advised to put her in a slow twist bit for more controllablity, but with so many out there idk which I should buy...
Advice please!

Note: Sorry for so many posts lately, but I am utterly bored because all I have done all week is study and I am taking the night off! haha

EventerAJ
Dec. 12, 2009, 12:10 AM
Unless you or your horse have a specific dislike for a particular ring, it doesn't matter.

I ride my mare (and previously, my gelding) on the flat in a loose ring french link. When I needed a little more bit for xc, I used a slow twist. The one I borrowed was an eggbutt; the one I bought was a D-ring. It honestly doesn't matter which I use.

You're using the bit for it's MOUTHPIECE, not it's attachment. If your horse has a particular steering problem, then go with the full-check for lateral assistance (or perhaps a big hunter dee). Buy whatever you like, chances are your horse won't care.

Personally, I tend to stay away from full cheeks if I have the choice. Just extra risk for the cheek to get caught on something. But, my current xc bit is a full cheek (slow twist Dr Bristol), because it is the only model available.

purplnurpl
Dec. 12, 2009, 12:20 AM
each will feel slightly more stiff to the rider.

The loose ring is supper wiggly
then comes the egg butt
then the D ring and full cheek. They will feel close to the same.

poltroon
Dec. 12, 2009, 12:26 AM
For most horses, the side pieces won't matter for function, and you can pick it on price, availability, or attractiveness.

For a horse that doesn't always turn, like a greenie, having the D ring can be nice.

The loose ring encourages the horse to play with the bit more. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.

eventingismylife
Dec. 12, 2009, 01:43 AM
Fixed rings are for horses that like a more consistent contact with the bit. Loose rings are for horses that tend to ignore consistent contact, and need/like inconsistent contact. It also helps them keep their mind on you and the job at hand. This is why most trainers and riders start their young horses in these.
Full cheek snaffles add lateral support to the sides of your horses mouth to had more pressure when turning, etc.

*Liz*
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:11 AM
Loose rings are for horses that tend to ignore consistent contact, and need/like inconsistent contact.

Oh, so this explains why almost all dressage horses go in loose-ring snaffles - must be the lack of contact and lack of consistency that all those dressage riders love :rolleyes:

jn4jenny
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:52 AM
Personally if I were looking for a slow twist, I'd want that fairly steady in my horse's mouth. The last thing I'd need is a slow twist see-sawing on my horse's bars and lip corners. I'm sure that some company somewhere makes slow-twist loose rings, but I've never seen one.

Since you know your mare tolerates a D-ring cheek, and that cheek will give you some stability and steering support, I'd go with that. A full cheek or baucher would give you a very similar effect, but the full cheek is arguably more dangerous (easier to catch on things even with bit keepers) and the baucher is probably going to be hard to find.