PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

lucky dog farm
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:10 PM
I have a 6 yr old Full Irish Draught gelding that is very naughty. I have had him with 3 different trainers and they all say the same thing. He is not now or ever will be safe undersaddle. He has impeccable manners on the ground but he is very nervous when getting on or off him or if you move the least little bit in the saddle or if you touch him behind the saddle he will bolt. It's like he loses his mind. Now this horse has been in professional training for the last 9 months and he still has these issues. He has been checked out. He is sound does not have a back problem and his saddle fits him. I am at my wits end with him. I had planned on sending him to Aiken with an event rider but I am going to cancel that as I do not want her to get hurt. I am at my wits end with him and am thinking of putting him down since he has already hurt a couple of people.:no: I really love the big goofy handsome thing. I bred him so I know what has happened in his life but I just don't know what to do at this point. Any ideas?

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:13 PM
No ideas, but... good luck!! Sounds like a horrible situation to be in. :(

LegalEagle
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:17 PM
Do you think he would safely drive? There wouldn't be a person ever on his back but he would have a harness and lines etc.

FlightCheck
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:20 PM
Yes, good luck to you.

Is he happy being groomed, etc.? What happens when you brush his back behind where a saddle would be?

Any potential as a driving horse?
Or
Have you thought about a cowboy trainer for him?

But please, if you have exhausted all areas, do the right thing for all.

Merle
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:39 PM
What happens if you stand on something beside him that elevates you above him, like on a tack trunk in the aisle? Maybe you could de-sensitize him a bit to someone being above him, leaning on him, touching him behind the saddle, etc without someone being on his back this way. I also wholeheartedly agree with the above posters. Sending jingles your way for a big turnaround.

oldhorsegirl
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:46 PM
You could send him to Peter Campbell--http://willingpartners.com/--either to train (sorry, I don't know what he charges), or simply give the horse to him--you certainly wouldn't be the first to do so. The man is a genius with horses (not necessarily with people, though ;-).

He gives clinics around the country and in Canada--his farm (ranch) is in WY.

He has made many an apparently 'crazy' horse into a happy camper.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Zu Zu
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:51 PM
WOW ! Sorry you are going through this ~ be careful.

albigears
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:01 PM
Have you tried a reputable animal communicator?

lucky dog farm
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:08 PM
Thank you all. I would not give this horse to anybody nor would I ever send him to any kind of auction. I love him enough to want to know where he is and what is happening with him. I had thought of teaching him how to drive but I really do not want to be behind him in a cart when he bolts. He has been to a cowboy type trainer and I have desensitized him from the ground and above his back. He has always been nervous of new people/things until he gets use to them. I own his mom and his brother both of whom are normal. I guess I am wondering what you all would do with a horse like him. I would keep him as a pasture pet but I already have three of them who are 20+ that have served me very well and deserve their retirement. I guess I am just very sad about this since he really is a very nice well put together guy who everybody loves from the ground.

Kanga
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:21 PM
I was involved with a similar situation a while back. A horse was sent to me to 'fix' or as the owners had said 'he doesn't like dressage, he wants to be a jumper'. I asked them what makes them think that? Then they let me in on a bit more detail on the horse. He had hurt the owner, hurt the trainer then sent to a second trainer that said 'no way' and I was the third trainer to get him.

The horse was highly intelligent and could read people extremely well. Apparently the 2 other trainers had pushed him and he flipped over on both of them. I did a lot of ground work with this horse until I felt like we had some kind of trust in each other (this was for about a month), then I got on him. He did not want to go anywhere. I could tell that if I forced it we would have a major problem. So we just stood there for a while and I taught off of him. Then one day he decided he wanted to walk around the arena, I said ok sounds good, lets go! Then a few days later he decided he wanted to walk out in the jump field, so we did that. Next thing I know he wants to walk around the farm, so I was very happy with small things from him. His background was he had a rough start, which is certainly not your situation but this horse did not trust and I knew he would most likely be very unsafe for anyone to try and make him do something under saddle.

He was an imported very expensive horse but the owner was to the point of wanting to put him down. I had him for about 2 1/2 months and felt the best thing for him was to be donated to the Parelli program. That was what we did with him and he is very happy doing all the round-pen work and going on the road for demonstrations.

I am not a Parelli teacher, but I felt this was the safest, best way to go for this horse to have some kind of future.

Just a thought.....Good luck to you and think about your safety first!!

AKB
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:27 PM
What does the horse do? We own IDs and have found them to be a wonderful, although somewhat sensitive type of horse. When we trained my ID, we went to a woman who has trained a lot of Irish horses. She believes developing lots of ground manners, then riding them at least once a day for short time periods. Her philosophy is that you do not push a young ID because they are very smart, and are easily overwhelmed. She did a wonderful job with our IDs.