PDA

View Full Version : Barns and Trainers near Athens, GA -Future UGA Student

Trak_Eventer
Dec. 11, 2009, 07:19 PM
I got accepted to University of Georgia and will be taking my girl with me! I am from the Kansas City area, so I don't know much at all about the eventing scene, barns, and trainers done there. I will be taking a trip down there to find a place for my girl to live. I also need to find a new trainer to work with. Right now I have different jumping and dressage trainers and work with someone else at events and schoolings. Something like that would be okay, however I would like to try to find one person. I do have a truck and trailer, so I will be able to travel for lessons as I do now. Thanks so much!

ThirdCharm
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:47 PM
Try pascovafarm.com

I only happen to know of them b/c we went to look at a horse there a couple weeks ago. No idea about any of the trainers who teach there, but a nice enough barn, decent ring.

Jennifer

2horseowner
Dec. 11, 2009, 09:03 PM
I second Pascova, as they are great friends and good people to board with. I think there's about 88 acres to ride on, and they have xc jumps too. A lot of students boarded there in the past too. Brittany Kart teaches over there, and everyone is liking her a lot. Go to the area 3 website/ classifieds/ as they are advertising for boarders. Good luck.

Miriam
Dec. 11, 2009, 09:06 PM
Sent you a PM. There are quite a few places available, and there are tons of UGA students who bring they're horses to school.

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:12 PM
Congrats!! You're going to love it here!!! We are in the eventing mecca practically!!! There's no shortage of trainers to choose from, especially if you don't mind driving a little bit.

You may also want to check out Coyote Creek farm. They may or may not have open boarding spots but have a fantastic facility and are close.

I know there are a few other barns too... Pascova, another barn, Hawks Creek Farm (http://www.hawkescreekfarm.com/site/?page_id=42), and... high point farm is another one....Cherokee stable (although i'm not sure they are eventing or even dressage/jumping based. and one more that starts with an E... but I can't think of it at the moment.

You can check here too... it's all of Georgia, but it links to some of the farms listed here.

Good luck!!! It's a fantastic place to be!

RunForIt
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:42 PM
Also, check out Triple Creek Eventing, home base of Mary Bess Sigman (an UGA grad), advanced level eventer. Bessie is in Covington, an hour from Athens, and has a big, fun group of successful eventers.

http://www.triplecreekeventing.com/about.html

Welcome to Area III!

skip916
Dec. 12, 2009, 05:22 PM
Also check out stonecreek eventing with Sally Philips Buffington. She is a USEA certified trainer and her barn is in Madison, GA about 45 ish minutes from Athens.

http://stonecreekranch.squarespace.com/

I<3Sleepy
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:32 PM
Beth Stelzleni! I moved here a year ago and she has been one of THE BEST trainers I have ever worked with! I've been a working student for a lot of top riders, but Beth has given me and my horses more confidence than anyone else. Right now she is based out of Hawkes Creek Farm (which I think someone posted about). There is a covered indoor, good-sized outdoor with lots of jumps, fields & trails for conditioning and they are working on a XC course, nice barn & turnout, and a lot of really friendly people! It's not actually in Athens, but in Winterville and is about 15mins from UGA.

www.hawkescreekfarm.com
Definitely check it out! =)

Trak_Eventer
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks so much for all the information!! Looks like I will have one busy weekend finding the perfect new place for my girl!

Anyone know where Becky Holder is now in Georgia? I want to say she is like 1 1/2 from UGA, but I am not sure. I cliniced with her a few weeks ago and loved it! Hopefully I can take some lessons with her when I get down there depending on how close she is.

EventingChase
Dec. 13, 2009, 08:14 AM
Hey!

Becky is near Chatt Hills- a bit south of Atlanta. She is only in Georgia half the year though and spends the rest of the time at her NC farm. I rode in a clinic with her last year at Ashland in Walnut Grove, Ga (about 40 minutes from Athens) and she was great. I think she will be teaching clinics at Ashland fairly regularly when in residence.

atleventer
Dec. 14, 2009, 05:00 PM
Nick Cwick and Lindsey Rairden (Capstone Eventing) are in Newnan only 2 hours away. I would say board at the Cadier's Cedar Ridge Farm and trailer down to train with this phenomenal pair! They put every student in a very consistent program. I have ridden with them consistently since September, and have seen huge results in my riding!

Pascova
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:06 AM
Pascova now has Kelly Barrett Eaton as a trainer and WE LOVE HER!!!! She is excellent -- has competed to advanced, has a silver and bronze medal from the USDF and is in training to be a dressage judge.

We also have a great xc course-- Ann Haller is helping us right now to develop the course further and we are adding a ditch, bank and a few more options.

Check out our website www.pascovafarm.com and come visit!