PDA

View Full Version : Fence charging, why is she doing this?

horseowner40
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:15 PM
we just put up hot wire, Misty has been hit by it about 20 times now, but she keeps charging the fence, I am scared she is going to jump it or worse try to jump it and get tangled in it. Do you guys think she will settle down? I have been trying to settle her down, maybe she is just feeling good. Oh crap, I just don't know, maybe I don't need a horse if I worry this much!:confused:

Luckydonkey
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:24 PM
Do you have it flagged so it is highly visible? Maybe she just is mad and trying to "dominate" the fence by chasing it away...Hopefully she will settle in..:D

horseowner40
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:28 PM
Do you have it flagged so it is highly visible? Maybe she just is mad and trying to "dominate" the fence by chasing it away...Hopefully she will settle in..:D

It is flagged with walmart bags and orange tape. It is too cold to sit outside right now, so I am looking out my window, watching her carry on, maybe she just feels good, too early to know if she is going to try to jump or not.:eek:

sdlbredfan
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:10 PM
Oh dear, I do hope she is not going to jump it. Maybe you can find a freebie goat in your newspaper, or very cheap, and just get a companion for her, to heck with if Hubby does not like it (referring to your other thread).

EqTrainer
Dec. 11, 2009, 09:05 PM
I am thinking your husband may dislike the vet bill if she gets tangled in the fence MORE than he would dislike a goat.

sdlbredfan
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:06 PM
I am thinking your husband may dislike the vet bill if she gets tangled in the fence MORE than he would dislike a goat.

Yowza did you hit the nail on the proverbial head or what!? (rhetorical question) That is so true.

dmalbone
Dec. 12, 2009, 01:34 AM
I hope she settled down eventually and didn't jump:eek:? I did also remember that you had her in her stall for quite a while when you were getting the hot wire up right? She might just be especially fresh from that also. Plus... this damn intruder won't let her near the fence. :lol:

bird4416
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:04 AM
I worked on a farm once that had a stallion in a four board fence with 4 strands of hot wire inside the fence and over the top. He would get really close to it and sometimes get zapped. When he got a shock he would turn around and kick at the fence sometimes hitting the boards between the wire. It really pissed him off to get shocked. He never tried to get out but he did "challenge" the fence. Hopefully, your horse is just trying to figure out the fence and won't actually try to get out.

Chall
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:40 AM
Can you borrow someone's donkey? Not own it, not keep it, just borrow it, to be returned when your horse settles down. Make sure your husband knows it is a borrowed burrow. Other than that, based on your other threads, maybe you should think about re-homing him (the horse, not the husband).

Oops, didn't read all of the other thread. Sorry you are in that situation. Forget my last line. MistyBlue has the best advice about providing rough board - you have a companion, small amount of cash and a visitor every now and then (the owner). I hope it gets better soon.

MistyBlue
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately some horses never acclimate to being alone. Even with visible horses over the fence, some horses will just react badly the entire time they don't have a buddy in turnout with them. It can eventually lead to other issues besides fence injuries...such as stress colics, ulcers, weight dropping, behavioral changes and sleep deprivation to name a few.
There are tons of free leases out there or giveaways...a mini horse or donk doesn't require a whole lot of barn space or feed can can work very well as a companion. (they are still equines though and require hoof and vet care) Goats work well too, but not all are easy to keep contained. A nanny or wether works well turned out with horses usually...billies stink.
Or even think about taking in a boarder, someone who can cover the cost of feed for their horse and they pay obviously for vet and farrier care. You can do a rough board and then have little to no extra work or else a retirement board and not have to deal with the owner there too often if that's what you prefer.
There are a lot of ways to provide a companion without it costing much. And a companion is far better than a colic surgery bill, a fence injury bill, gastroguard, etc. It will calm your mare down and make her more relaxed and content. Keeping a horse in a constant nervous state isn't fair to the horse, not all horses will conform to the needs or lifestyle of the owner and we can't force them all too. It''s better to either find a solution that works for the mare or else sell/trade/rehome her and find a new horse that fits your needs and turnout situation. There are horses who do just fine out solo, look for one that's already been kept that way without issues.

Paddys Mom
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:42 AM
Maybe the OP need a Christmas pony (see other thread). ;)

Frank B
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:09 AM
Forget the goat. Get a donkey!

EqTrainer
Dec. 12, 2009, 06:19 PM
Ah yes. Gastroguard - $650/month. Average simple colic bill - $350.00
Average simple wound stitch - $400.00

Unless, of course, it's on a weekend. Tack on $200/300 for the emergency call.

Prevention is always cheaper than the cure.

horseowner40
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:00 PM
Misty has settled down quite a bit, I ended up put her up last night for a couple of reason's (1. wind chill was -20) (2. I was worried she would injure herself). This morning she tested the fence again, but settled down and started grazing. I just put her up again because of severe wind chill tonight. I think that the hot wire is working because she is not wanting to be near the fence at all. Now for my all of you that have suggested a companion for Misty, I have decided and have told my husband that It is cruel for her to be alone, and I did not ask him but I told him that I was going to find her a Companion. He is not arguing about it, and if he does not like this idea, I think you guys are right, he should be rehomed. Not Me, and Not Misty, he is the problem! Wow, I am glad to get that off my chest. I can't stand to be around someone who thinks they know whats best for everyone. I rather have 1 great day in life than 20 years of misery. Damn it I have been through so much, and I have never ever complained about anything, when I could not walk, and was hurting so bad that I could not move, I would have a smile and try to be happy for those around me, I was my Mother's caretaker while she died of cancer, I helped my husband when his Father died, and 4 years before his Mother died I was her caretaker, so is it asking too much for me to have a companion for Misty? I don't think so. Anyway I am going to find a companion for her, all advise is welcome, YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST, Thanks for all your help!;)

horseowner40
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:20 PM
Oh dear, I do hope she is not going to jump it. Maybe you can find a freebie goat in your newspaper, or very cheap, and just get a companion for her, to heck with if Hubby does not like it (referring to your other thread).

You are such a wonderful person, I have decided to get her a companion, regardless of what hubby thinks, my husband is being an ASS, and I am tired of it, he knew I was an animal lover when he met me, and I have not changed, I knew he liked to fly airplanes and I never asked him not to, which by the way this man own's a 2 Cessna 310's which are twin engine's, it cost a freaking fortune to fly these things, so why should I care what he thinks. Anyway's thank you soooooooo much!:D

horseowner40
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:22 PM
Ah yes. Gastroguard - $650/month. Average simple colic bill - $350.00
Average simple wound stitch - $400.00

Unless, of course, it's on a weekend. Tack on $200/300 for the emergency call.

Prevention is always cheaper than the cure.

I agree with you prevention is the best way to go, I am getting her a companion!:D:D

horseowner40
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:25 PM
I worked on a farm once that had a stallion in a four board fence with 4 strands of hot wire inside the fence and over the top. He would get really close to it and sometimes get zapped. When he got a shock he would turn around and kick at the fence sometimes hitting the boards between the wire. It really pissed him off to get shocked. He never tried to get out but he did "challenge" the fence. Hopefully, your horse is just trying to figure out the fence and won't actually try to get out.

She did settle down today, but I was on pins and needles Yesterday and all day today, so I have decided that I am getting her a friend, beside's I believe that it is cruel for her not to have anyone, I love her too much to put her through that, you guys have made me realize that, I can't thank you enough.:)

dmalbone
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:30 PM
Good for you and Misty. :) Please feel free to pm if you ever need to chat.

EqTrainer
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:31 PM
:D

I like you!

(not in a creepy stalker way)

dmalbone
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:32 PM
:D

I like you!

(not in a creepy stalker way)

That's what they all say. :p

horseowner40
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:34 PM
Maybe the OP need a Christmas pony (see other thread). ;)

YES, you read my mind, It reminded me of my own real story. I am 41 years old and starting riding when I was 4 years old and at age 7 my parents sold my pony without telling me, it traumatized me, they promised to get me another but never did, every weekend I would read the classified ad's looking for a free horse, of course this went on until age 25 years old and I got me my own horse, but I never really got over my parents selling my pony, and I wished to myself every year at Christmas that I would get a pinto pony. This is one of the reason's my husband agreed to let me get a horse so I would stop telling this sad story, he told me that now I have my horse and should be happy. Anyways your post made me think of this again. I must have drove people crazy as child calling about every horse in the newspaper.:sadsmile:

horseowner40
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:37 PM

you guys are funny! I love this forum.:)

EqTrainer
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:42 PM

Who are they? And what did they do after they said it to you?!!!

(I am creeped out now)

dmalbone
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:52 PM
Who are they? And what did they do after they said it to you?!!!

(I am creeped out now)

LOL, just kidding. I was cyber-stalked one time thouh. There were a bunch of wackos on a particular wedding/home board who decided they didn't like me and I got random threatenin emails with information about my address, name, etc. I always PM people to warn them when they've posted a lot of info.

horseowner40
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:59 PM
LOL, just kidding. I was cyber-stalked one time thouh. There were a bunch of wackos on a particular wedding/home board who decided they didn't like me and I got random threatenin emails with information about my address, name, etc. I always PM people to warn them when they've posted a lot of info.

WOW:eek: Someone is asking under the help forum if someone can find them on here if they don't give out there info, I kinda laughed because we were just talking about this:eek: