PDA

View Full Version : icy pastures

dmalbone
Dec. 11, 2009, 04:19 PM
Up near the barn where we did a lot of construction, etc. there is now a low spot I guess that is collecting water and snow and therefore Ice. It's a high traffic area of what will be our pasture. What can I do? We can't go digging up and excavating this time of year, plus I need to get them home asap. Gravel? More dirt? A large part of it is what I eventually wanted to fix up as a dry lot (but not too dusty if that's possible) for my COPD horse to be able to stay out at night without getting close to the busy road. Also, to use as a run in bad weather.

Sorry... pic is big
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8HhPXVaZn9M/SyK19HmxOdI/AAAAAAAAAI4/xW65IlelFOM/s1600/IMG_3473.JPG

GoForAGallop
Dec. 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
Push that giant pile of dirt into it. Problem solved. :) The area right outside my barn's front door is a water-collecting low spot that turns into a skating rink unless we remember to dump some dirt on it before the ground freezes. So I speak from experience.

dmalbone
Dec. 11, 2009, 04:34 PM
Then won't I end up with a GIANT mucky, muddy mess (morseo than it will be right now) in the spring?

fivehorses
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:55 PM
have a load of stone dust brought in. It needs to be spread immediately or else it freezes and can't be spread or smoothed out.

Also, I would contact the cooperative ext agent, NRCS and dept of ag for helpful, free advice and direction.
they were invaluable in helping me with the developement of my farm.

dmalbone
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:41 PM
have a load of stone dust brought in. It needs to be spread immediately or else it freezes and can't be spread or smoothed out.

Also, I would contact the cooperative ext agent, NRCS and dept of ag for helpful, free advice and direction.
they were invaluable in helping me with the developement of my farm.

Thanks. Will this not harden into almost concrete consistency though? I didn't want to create another danger. I know we used stone dust under the stalls and without even compacting it's almost as hard as a rock!

Zu Zu
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:48 PM
Load of one inch rock would supply some safety and not create a muddy mess later in the spring.