PDA

View Full Version : Miniture schnauzers anyone?

gottalovethecowgirl
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:32 AM
Ok so my whole life i have had big dogs. Labs, Border Collies, Heelers ect. Well long story short my boss's wife surprised me and got me a Miniture schnauzer.... I have no idea what I am doing with such a little thing! I was wondering if anyone has them? Are they good dogs to have? Should I even bother training this one to stay with me while i work around the farm? Also does anyone have any useful tips to them? lol I would love feedback:)

Elly Mae II
Dec. 11, 2009, 12:35 PM
It never would have occurred to me to adopt a Min Schnauzer either. But when I was getting ready to adopt another dog the Min Schnauzer was stressing out being kenneled so the rescue convinced me to adopt him instead. Never a moment’s regret! He is probably the smartest dog I have ever had and certainly has the biggest personality. Such a clown! He practically talks sometimes. The noises he makes sound so human he’s like a little old man muttering.

They are small but feisty terriers. You have to watch sometimes they don’t try to take on a critter too big for them. Mine will get right into the face of the hateful old cat. I’ve read that is why they are traditionally groomed with the long eyebrows and beards ---to ward off the vermin they corner.
Mine had been an abuse case and in the beginning he was very fearful but it didn’t take long for him to come around and now he is just a love bug. I have fostered a lot of different kinds of dogs. He is never afraid of any of them and tries to make friends and play. The greyhounds used to try to catch him between their long legs to stop him from buzzing around them.

The hair can be a pain sometimes. It tends to tangle and is a burr magnet. He pulled a burr out once and swallowed it which led to a big spell of gagging and gulping so I really try to keep him away from burrs.

He is a good watch dog too.

ksetrider
Dec. 11, 2009, 01:02 PM
Gottalove...if you don't fall in love you can send him my way!!! I fell in love with the breed when a friend got one. I keep my eyes out for "the one" to adopt.

dmalbone
Dec. 11, 2009, 01:30 PM
How are they around horses? I know some just take better to them than others.

Calvincrowe
Dec. 11, 2009, 01:49 PM
Oh, lucky you! We are a "big terrier breed" family--someone always has an Airedale! We went with a bit smaller version this time, we got a Schnoodle (mini poodle + mini schnauzer). The BEST DOG ever!!! Loyal, loving, huge personality, good around my horse and the barn. (does chase rarely, when they run, but listens and stops--totally my fault as he was "taught" by our totally nut-job Aussie).

Ours is very Schnauzer like--funny, sweet, kind, bit of a pansy. Some Schnauzers I've known are "one person" dogs, and can threaten those who invade their person's space, and aren't good with kids. Typical of the terriers, they are stubborn and feisty. They don't shed!! Always a plus in my book. Get a good groomer, and, best of all if you're like me, they like to wear blankets:) I love buying dog clothes.

Mr. CC and I have already decided on another Schnauzer or Schnoodle in our near future.

winfieldfarm
Dec. 11, 2009, 03:05 PM
Schnauzers are great little dogs if you train them to have some good manners. Otherwise, they run the risk of developing yappy dog mentality. I grew up with some. I had a great one but he had some skin allergies in the summer whick drove him crazy to no end. We tried everything to make him comfortable

My brother's female was very much a one person dog and very attached to my brother.

They are smart dogs generally but I have had two friends' schnauzers not like the quick movements of small children and would bite. These two dogs did not grow up around kids so that might have been part of the problem.

One great benefit - NO shedding!! But if you want them to look neat and tidy, they need haircuts. We learned to clip them ourselves with the horse clippers. Many groomers will pluck their inner ear hair but we didn't do that when we started clipping their coats ourselves. They yelped too loud and we felt horrible. So we would just keep their ears clean with q tips.

My father loved ours and he is a devout Doberman man. He liked to pile them on his lap in his chair at night to keep his lap warm.

Merle
Dec. 11, 2009, 03:29 PM
I grew up with Schnauzers. We had two Mini's and my parents now have a Standard. The Mini's never had any health problems, they were great little guys. Always game for anything! However, the they weren't great about little kids but the Standard they have now is just a doll. He's a very sensitive, kind dog and wouldn't hurt a flea. In fact, he's best friends with the pet rabbit living in the house. :) Now the little Welsh terrier they have has the mentality of the Mini's and he's not to be trusted near the rabbit. Their Standard is great around the horses and is very mindful of everything - he's quick to get out of the way and never causes a headache. He'd be a wonderful therapy dog. I think that like every animal they are most definitely each individuals, but my experience has been that Standards are a bit calmer and have less of the snappiness of the Mini's.

I do have a soft spot for Schnauzers but they aren't my pick for a dog since I don't want to have to deal with grooming and I prefer natural tails/ears. Their coats need upkeep to keep them looking nice and from getting big matts. But they are "the dog with the human brain"!

vacation1
Dec. 11, 2009, 09:38 PM
They're terriers. The mistake people make with terriers (other than the Airedale, which is big enough to get respect) is thinking "Golly, they're adorable - but small and cutesy, so I guess they're just for show." Terriers are 110% serious dogs with the potential to be a real PITA. You absolutely have to train them, but beyond that you have to spend time with them reinforcing what you want. Otherwise, you will wake up on the floor one morning and realize that the dog now holds the deed to your house, is sleeping in your bed and has locked you out of the fridge. The very large guard-type breeds are forever being described as requiring a strong owner, but the dominance habit reaches its perfection in the terriers. What makes it even more fun is that terriers, far more than any other type, really do not respond well to any aggressive human behavior. I suspect they were the reason that the half-baked theory of doing an alpha roll died so fast :) I wonder if some trainers didn't die too.

Calvincrowe
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:53 PM
My Airedale was a handful! I researched the breed, thought I was ready, but whooee! that dog had a mind of his own. He loved me and respected me, but god a mercy, he was aggressive to anyone who approached me. No wonder they were the "ladies' guard dog" of the 1910's.

I worked hard to make him a sociable, kind dog...the kind who happily greeted the UPS man and climbed aboard the truck for a ride:lol: on more than one occasion. Terriers require a person who understands that they need repetition and a quiet, firm guidance in all things. They can easily take over one's house and lifestyle (and bed, couch and kitchen...)

Our Schnauzer is easier than that--the Poodle half is well expressed in his desire to please and his sweetness. He is very vocal as all terriers tend to be--he talks and grumbles (my Airedale had a wide vocabulary and told many a tale of woe).

But, honestly? My Aussie is the most difficult dog I've ever owned, in 35 years of dog ownership. Never again. I am not a herding breed owner.

Pocket Pony
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:31 PM
I grew up with Mini Schnauzers and now have a Schnauzer/Cocker Spaniel mix (which we found out through a doggie DNA test - we knew the Schnauzer part but couldn't figure out the other!:)). My parents now have two standard Schnauzers. I do love the breed, but I am partial to terriers - they are my favorite!

None of our Schnauzers has ever *liked* kids. One was prone to biting if treated like a little princess dog and not taken seriously. The others just really don't care. Pico, my current Schnauzer mix, is great around the farm and horses. He patrols the perimeter and does his own night check to make sure everything is ok before he goes to bed. He's good with the horses and cats; when he sees deer he gives chase. He does always bark at people coming over, even if they are our friends and he's met them a million times. He's protective of me but not aggressive. He's loving and sweet with me and Mr. PoPo. He's smart and funny and I just love him. He does sleep in bed with us and just curls up and doesn't make a peep all night long!

I'm a total Schnauzer fan, in case you couldn't tell!

Hampton Bay
Dec. 12, 2009, 07:36 PM
I have two, and my parents have one. So I have raised 3 puppies, two males and a female.

My oldest is going to be 9 this spring, and my little one just turned 8. They are both males, and are different as they can be.

The big one is very very smart, in the "I want to please my mommy" way. He was beyond hyper as a puppy, but never destructive. He has never met a stranger, loves kids (they mean food), and is just a wonderful little dog. He is very much the alpha dog though, and he will take on any dog, no matter how big. He's only done that a couple times to the horses though, and only to my weanling filly. He never seemed "threatened" by the bigger horses.

And then there is the little white one. He can get out of anything you put him in if there is not a latch or a lock, and he's been that way since he was 3 months old. He's very shy, and is really not fond of kids he does not personally know. He's nipped at more than a few. He even nipped at the a/c repair guy once. He does not learn tricks, but he does know how to sit. He is more laid-back, and he gets along with the cats and even the bunnies. He would never bark at the horses, but he's not so smart about avoiding them. He's been kicked in the head before just because he likes to walk right behind them. He also has a tendency to be trampled by my big dog, and I've stepped on him several times as well.

As farm dogs, I'm not sure I would have another one, even though I love them to death. The hair is just so much upkeep. They really need to be shaved about every month, and they should be brushed daily. When I lived in an apartment, the big one had this gorgeous long leg hair, and a lovely long beard. I bathed them weekly and dried them with the hairdryer. They always looked like a Schnauzer should. Now that I have my own property, they are shaggy, with the occasional mat that I just cut out, and when they get their hair cut I take off all their leg hair. My big one is missing the front half of his beard because he got it matted up in all his outdoor adventures. I do try to confine them to just the dog yard as well, because they have a tendency to disappear under a fence. I really don't want a gator to get them.

They do tend to have skin issues as well. Their skin doesn't produce the oils that a shedding breed does, and when they get into something that makes them itch, they tend to scratch and scratch and scratch. Fleas seem to bother them quite a bit too.

But I do just adore them. They do toe the line constantly, and they are always on the couch. They sleep on my bed when I leave the house. I have finally taught them to stay off the bed at night (they used to sleep in bed with me, but hubby did not so much appreciate that idea because they are bed hogs).

Bluey
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:27 PM
I have a horse trainer friend that has one, that goes with him to shows and at home never leaves his side.
That is a well behaved dog, will alarm bark a few times when anyone drives into the yard, a live in alarm system.

That dog gets along great with other dogs and people and minds the horses well.
She also will "help" if a horse is balking to get it going, like at trailer loading time.
I think that is dangerous, but it is not my dog.

I bet your dog will be a lovely dog and as good to mind as you train it to be.
Remember, train and confine is the mantra of any puppy raiser and yes, eventually they all grow up and if you did your homework, your grown dog will be awesome.:cool:

Koniucha
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:33 PM
My boyfriend had one when he was married to his ex and he still misses the dog. I think we will be getting one pretty soon here. Personally, I am a med/large dog person, but they are cute.

TBMaggie
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:26 PM
I've got two - both are mini's but are on the large side (25lb +), and I think they're the most wonderful dogs! Smart, playful, full of personality, loyal. One is a male (salt & pepper) with really soft fur that matts, the other a black female with great fur. Yes, they have to be groomed every 7-8 weeks, and brushed (I rarely do:no:), tend to run off after rabbits, squirrels, or just to investigate and turn 'deaf' (should have a fenced yard), don't like children, are fussy about who they DO like, can be prone to diabetes and kidney stones (Must feed right!).

But, on the plus side: They live a long time (14-17 years), are great fun, are relatively good travelers, and come with the coolest Schnauzer 'woo-woo' sound that is unique to the breed. Mine live with 3 house cats, no problem. One loves the horses - one likes to chase them. One was very easy to house train, and would rather die than make a mess in the house; the other one gets nervous, and leaves 'surprises' - but he was also abused/adopted.

These dogs aren't for the feint of heart - but I'd get another (and another, and another)! Mine have natural ears and docked tails...

JanM
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:29 AM
I've had two Min Schnauzers-the first always had a great groomer but was body clipped short her entire life, then I moved here. The current boy is clipped by an incompetent amateur (me) since I can't find a decent groomer that works when I need it done and I refuse to leave him at the groomer for 10 plus hours because they take them in all at one time and give them back all at one time-so I bought hand clippers from Jeffers and he's groomed by me. I'm getting better at clipping him, but he's probably used to the squirrels and other dogs razzing him about his ugly clip job. They can be barky little dickens but they are totally loyal, smart and if I were getting another dog I would get another one. And all of mine were rescues or rehomes from someone else.

Years ago a friend had a perfectly trained, wonderfully outgoing Mini, Lil moved to a new place and her dog needed her routine grooming. Lil went a local groomer that was highly recommended, dropped the dog off and left instructions to clip the body and legs short but do the head clip like a schnauzer, and the groomer said she understood. Lil went to pick the dog up and all of her was clipped short including her head and face-and trust me the poor dog knew she looked pitiful. The poor puppy didn't want to go anywhere until the beard and eyebrows grew back-and I know it seems weird but the poor dog did seem totally humiliated.

NRB
Dec. 13, 2009, 10:20 PM
My mom had a mini schnauzer, intact male while we were all tiny tots growing up. he handled 3 babies just fine. I have a Standard Schnauzer now, a 7mo female. She is perfect around my 2yo daughter.

I keep the dogs coat stripped, not clipped. So the coat is pretty easy to care for and never gets the wet dog oder when we've been out in the rain. She's great around horses but I spent plenty of time training her. her recall is not reliable.

She is all terrier, a big dog trapped inside a medium dogs body. (she's 32lbs now) But she's never met a person she doesn't love. And is smart smart smart. Has to be trained with positive rewards.

Terriers are independant thinkers, not always looking to the person for the answers.

Hampton Bay
Dec. 14, 2009, 03:28 AM
Forgot to mention as for the training, clicker training did wonders for my hyper Schnauzie. He thought it was a really fun game because there was food involved.

Mine also both have natural ears. I hated the idea of having them cropped, and their ears just give them so much personality.

DiablosHalo
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:35 AM
Didn't read the other responses but.. we have one that will be 15yo in a few months. I didn't meet her until she was 11yo (she is my husands). She had never been on a farm - just a house dog. I never even had to train her. She was somewhat trained, meaning she came when she was called and thats about it.

She followed us around the farm all day since the first day there. Never have to even put a leash on her. She is still sprite and often jumps around wanting to play. The bigger dogs take off running around and she'll bark and run after them. She is half blind and half deaf but otherwise very healthy. I don't let her come out for night checks anymore bc she tends to get lost in the dark and I have to go find her. Her tags jingle when she trots so if she's moving I can locate her- loL!

Of the 4 dogs we have (3 aussies and her) she is the yappy one! The others will bark at a stranger or strange noise- but she instigates a lot of it! And.. the others will quiet down when I say it's ok- but not her. She'll keep barking until she decides all is ok!