View Full Version : New barn! Need stall floor tips...

Dec. 10, 2009, 10:47 PM
My wonderful husband gave me my Christmas present early: a barn! It's tiny and cute, 24' x 36'. It's a poll barn, very simple.

The structure was built level on ground that is not, so the barn is about a foot above the ground on the west side. We are going to level the ground inside but I am wondering what people recommend to fill it with and use as a "floor". Concrete is not an option, and stall mats are $$$. Our soil is very sandy and it's dry here in Colorado.

Someone recommended "crusher finds" to me. It is rock that is smaller than gravel, but larger than sand, and is suppose to be excellent for drainage. Is this horse safe?

Is "dirt" enough, or is there something out there that is also economical that I just have to have? Any tips? Thanks!

To see a pic, go here:

Dec. 10, 2009, 10:56 PM
There aren't going to be many footings that aren't horse-safe that come to mind. What you really need to do with an unevenness that big is have an actual excavator from your area out. They will be able to comment on your local soil, etc. You definitely don't want just dirt. I'm not very knowledgeable about it, but you'll definitely need quite a bit of a base to get you at level ground! Yes, mats are pricey, but they're more than worth it. I would never go without them unless completely necessary. You will have to redo your ground from wet spots, ruts from horses, etc. no matter what flooring you use if there aren't mats on top. To me the cost of mats pays off when I don't have to relevel and fill in the ground every year!

Dec. 10, 2009, 11:13 PM
Use limestone screening and save your money and get the mats at Tractor Supply- $30 when they run specials, otherwise they are $35 a piece. They are 4' by 6' and you'll love how comfortable they make your horses and stall cleanup is a snap!!

By the way, darling barn!!!! Nice hubba! :)

Dec. 11, 2009, 10:07 AM
The more I look in to it, the more I think I'm going to end up getting the stall mats. Oh boy, time to start shopping!

If anyone has any more comments about flooring, please feel free to post them here. You can never have too much info! Thanks!

Dec. 11, 2009, 10:24 AM
I'd back fill the low spot with soil and compact it. You might even put down another pressure treated board that goes down in the soil there, to hold it in and keep out varmints and snow in the future. Then, after you've set posts for your stalls, add 3/4minus gravel topped with screenings or pea gravel and compact that. Then put down mats. Honestly--the best way to save on labor and money down the line are stall mats. That is what we did in our pole barn (looks like yours, but 40 x 60 with concrete everywhere except for the stalls--we bought the farm with it already like that).

A neat trick to moving them is to use a couple of pairs of channel locks, big ones, to grab hold of them--much easier!!!

If you use 4 x 6 mats in a 12 x 12 stall, you need six per stall-- so $180ish per stall. Buy VERY good quality mats, preferably solid rubber, not crumb. A bit more money up front saves in the end.

Dec. 11, 2009, 10:42 AM
I totally agree, use screenings or "fines" to build a level floor with some drainage then top with mats. I will NEVER EVER have a barn again without mats! However, I much prefer the interlocking think heavy mats, they are more expensiuve but don't shift or curl like the others tend to do

Dec. 11, 2009, 02:54 PM
My barn looked exactly like yours when my hubby built it. He put extra pressure treated boards at the bottom to hold in the "filling." We used gravel (57) to fill it in up to the bottom board, then put about 3-4 inches of packed gravel dust on top of that with stall mats. LOVE IT! We haven't had to do any maintenance on our stalls in 7 years. We used asphalt for the aisle, but stall mats would be just as nice. :yes: Congratulations on your new barn!!!! What a Christmas present!:D