PDA

View Full Version : Please help would love Heavyweight turnout suggestions

JumptheSky129
Dec. 10, 2009, 11:32 PM
I am getting ready to move my Horse from Texas to Kentucky, he will be there in January. I have been searching for a good heavy weight winter blanket that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg. Any suggestions? Right now i am seriously considering one of the Stormshield blankets, any thoughts?
Thanks for any suggestions! :)

Miriam
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:51 AM
I love love love my orican freestyle high neck heavy. It's lasted for several years, no rips, and cleans up like new every spring. I think I paid $149 for it.

If you're looking for something a little cheaper, Dover has their supreme heavy turnouts on sale for $109, and I just got one of those last week. It seems like a great blanket so far, but I don't know how it will stand the test of time yet. Our dover store just had a big tent sale, so I got it for $99.

Sometimes the COTH BB Marketplace has used blankets listed. You might be able to pick up a used Rambo or other nice blanket on the cheap there.

Tazzie
Dec. 11, 2009, 09:43 AM
I personally am a big fan of any of the weatherbeeta freestyle blankets. The Taka is the nicest, but I think that they are all nice in general and seem to hold up, at least in the mare field. Hard to account for geldings though considering how destructive in their playing they can be.

Also if looking for something with a neck cover, weatherbeeta makes them with integrated necks, which I personally prefer for the fit.

retreadeventer
Dec. 11, 2009, 09:51 AM
I know about paying arms and legs!
However....I have a couple of OLD Rambos. Yes, they are in the arm and leg category BUT-
They are well over 10 years old and still ticking. No rips. No broken hardware. Well worth the bucks and no I did not trade them in, I still use them!

Dover's Riders International stuff has held up well but only the upper denier - 1200. The 600 denier not so much.
My Orican blankets are great but the straps and hardware are cheap and I have sent them for fixing several times.

Has anyone tried the new Bit of Britain winter blankets? Don't forget you get a discount with your USEA membership, too. John just doesn't sell fall apart stuff - these look like they are very nice for the price. He's picky; I have never had anything of poor quality from BofB, and usually competitively priced.

Look on Ebay and buy used if you need to save. I think a good GOOD quality heavyweight waterproof with a neck of some kind. Those mentioned above are good, too.

scubed
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:31 AM
Bit of Britain is now making their own brand and it is great quality for the money. http://www.bitofbritain.com/Turnout_Heavyweight_Blankets_s/129.htm

Also, at Fair Hill, I bought from them a heavyweight labeled TackoftheDay for $69 and it is quite impressive for that price.

I use primarily horseware brand and have a mix of Rambos, Rhinos and Amigo (another great priced blanket for what you get)

RiverBendPol
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:29 AM
I LOVE the Schneider's Stormshield. We have a bunch of them, they are all over 5 years old and don't have a scratch on them. Even with the bad boy who likes to take his clothes off and jump and pee on them. I think these things will last forever. Although in Kentucky I can't believe you'll actually need the warmth these things provide. They keep our boys cozy in Maine:)

JumptheSky129
Dec. 11, 2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks so much for all the suggestions I will look at all the various blankets and stores suggested! Yall are fabulous! : )

sisu27
Dec. 11, 2009, 04:46 PM
Horseware and Bucas. I have had really good luck with the less arm & leg priced (arm only price range?) Rhino turnouts (from Horseware). I keep finding them on sale and they fit great and seem very durable.

subk
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:13 PM
Spend the money and get a Rambo. It will be the cheapest blanket you ever buy. I think I paid $250 for my first one and it's been used every winter for the last 15 years. That's less than $20 a year! It's never had any maintenece but washing.

I think I own about 8 Rambo's now in various weights and I can't remember any of them needing repair work--and they are all used primarily for group turn out.

amastrike
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:13 PM
Get a mediumweight, not a heavy (unless your horse is clipped).

eventingismylife
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:47 PM
I love my Pessoa turnouts. They are wonderful. They are extremely water proof, and dont rub. Very nice.

LARGEBORE
Dec. 12, 2009, 05:48 PM
My vote is the Pessoa turnout....

slp2
Dec. 12, 2009, 07:27 PM
Well, my older mare has a Rhino which has lasted for ages. I do think they are worth the money.

However, I bought a 3 year old this fall and did not want to spend much $$ since she will probably grow out of it in a couple seasons. I went with a Schneider's--the Euro style turnout blanket in 1200 denier. So far--I am impressed. It was all of $70, fits her very well and is holding up well. Ugliest, tackiest color__ever (bottom half is black, top half is dayglo pink!) but I can find my horse in the dark. :D

I also have a great blanket liner from Schneider's that cost $36. It makes a turnout sheet into a blanket when underneath. So that's another option if you already own a good waterproof turnout sheet--just buy a liner to put under it.

chestnutwithchrome
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:29 PM
I live in KY and use the Dover International Supreme Blankets! I absolutely love them, they hold up well and keep my poneh nice and warm while she lives outside in the single digit weather.

TBrescue
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:13 PM
Spend the money and get a Rambo. It will be the cheapest blanket you ever buy. I think I paid $250 for my first one and it's been used every winter for the last 15 years. That's less than $20 a year! It's never had any maintenece but washing.

I think I own about 8 Rambo's now in various weights and I can't remember any of them needing repair work--and they are all used primarily for group turn out.

I agree, they are the best as far as holding up long term. Dover's Rider's are a close 2nd but as someone already said only the 1200 denier

KBG Eventer
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:50 PM
My favorite blankets are the Rambos, especially the Rambo Supreme. I have tried a few other blankets on different horses (Baker Medium Weight, Schneider's VTEK Regulator Midweight with Bellyband, Weatherbeeta Taka Mediumweight, and Weatherbeeta Orican) and the only ones that hold up the best IMHO are Rambos.

The higher end Weatherbeetas are also very nice and definitely my second choice but rub some horses raw. They are great if they fit your horse!

The Schneider was the the third best and did last one whole winter, but it was getting very ratty at the end.

The Baker was the worst. The inside liner ripped at the seams 3/4 through winter.

cbv
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:52 PM
am only every buying Rambo's from now on.

I have had schneiders, weatherbeeta, and a variety of other brands here and there. I end up replacing them every couple years. The only brand that I liked fit-wise and that held up a long time, but I don't see around, was a Wilson (Wilsun?).

The Rambo's fit nicely, don't rub, are easy on and off -- I prefer the originals -- definitely expensive but have learned the hard way that over time save you money.

VicariousRider
Dec. 13, 2009, 01:45 PM
I want to second the Dover Northwind. It is pretty affordable and you can get a neck attachment too. They come with a warranty (2 yrs. I think) and if ANYTHING breaks within that time they give you a whole new one... no questions asked.

However, if your horse will be in KY for many winters to come, invest in a Rambo. I have had the same one since 1998 and it has only been re-waterproofed. NO ripping. They are worth the investment!

EventerAJ
Dec. 13, 2009, 02:00 PM
Spend the money and get a Horseware (Rambo/Rhino) or Bucas. Yes, it will give you sticker shock. And in the catalogs, all the blankets look pretty, tough, and durable. They all dazzle you with denier numbers and special features.

But Rambos will stand the test of time. My Wug is on its 10th winter, used for 24/7 outdoor life and in group turnout. It's lost the tail flap and a front snap broke, but it is still 100% waterproof. After 10 seasons! This is standard for Horseware blankets.

In KY, waterproofness is extremely important. Our winters are "cold," but more often WET than snowy. It demands a blanket that can handle 8 hrs of steady rain and keep your horse warm & dry. Spend the $250+ now, and you won't need to buy another blanket for up to 10+ yrs.

vineyridge
Dec. 14, 2009, 12:43 AM
I've noticed that the Rhinos have a separate inside membrane that would work like Gore Tex. The Rambos don't have that; they have some sort of outside chemical preparation that makes them waterproof.

What I don't understand about Horseware's lines is that the blankets don't have gussets. I would think that shoulder rubbing would be a problem if a blanket didn't have something like a gusset to allow the shoulder to move freely. What keeps the Horseware line blankets from shoulder rubs?

I am also in the market for something very, very waterproof. Since horse will be in blanket for days at a time, fit is crucial. I have been considering a blanket (made in India) called the Centaur Superline. Has a membrane, has gussets and is decently priced.

IFG
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:14 AM
I've noticed that the Rhinos have a separate inside membrane that would work like Gore Tex. The Rambos don't have that; they have some sort of outside chemical preparation that makes them waterproof.

What I don't understand about Horseware's lines is that the blankets don't have gussets. I would think that shoulder rubbing would be a problem if a blanket didn't have something like a gusset to allow the shoulder to move freely. What keeps the Horseware line blankets from shoulder rubs?

I am also in the market for something very, very waterproof. Since horse will be in blanket for days at a time, fit is crucial. I have been considering a blanket (made in India) called the Centaur Superline. Has a membrane, has gussets and is decently priced.

Viney,

I cannottell you why it stays waterproof or does not rub, but my Rambo Heavyweight is from 2002, it is still waterproof, and does not rub. The only repair was to seww the tail flap back on. I have a couple of other Rambos that are a year or two younger. All I have to do with them is wash at the end of the season. Sometimes I spray with a can of proofer.

I had two Weatherbeetas when I first got my horse. I spent much of that winter sewing the linings. Other horses would grab the blanket and pull. The outside was fine, but the cotton lining ripped to shreds. Bought Rambos, repaired and sold the Weatherbeetas (with disclosure and a caveat that you only wanted them if your horse was turned out alone), and I never looked back.

KBG Eventer
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:09 AM

That is good question! I have no idea about the gussets but obviously there must be a reason. I do know that most of the blankets or sheets I have had with shoulder gussets rub the shoulders of the horses I have had. I have always had QH or solidly built horses though. Maybe the gussets are just a problem for horses with big shoulders?

And I don't know about the waterproofing, but whatever they use works very well!

DiablosHalo
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:24 AM
I have a bunch of Rambo/Rhinos that work well. In recent years- I've also used Kodiak blankets (ebay). Not sure if they are still on there for sale. I forget which "name" they are (ie Kodiak ________) but the top of the line ones are really nice. Lining, gussets, extremely waterproof, etc.
They have LW,MW, and HW. Mine are going on the 5th mid atlantic winter and hold up great. I got them very reasonable on ebay. Even with shipping, they were half price.
Good luck!

colliemom
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:43 AM

To my eye, shoulder gussets are too far down to make any difference in shoulder rubs. I've never had a blanket with them, so can't speak from personal experience, but I've never understood how they could help when they are below the shoulder.

I have Rhino blankets, and while I love them, they do rub our TB's shoulder, so I've been thinking about switching to a different style. (Also looking for a more heavyweight, so this discussion is timely for me -- thanks!) Any suggestions for a 17.1 TB with a very long shoulder and prominent shoulder bone (I know it's not really the "shoulder bone" but the front most point that gets the rubs!! :lol: ) Will the Rambo really not rub, if the Rhino does?

bambam
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:00 AM
For the cheaper price, the Dover Northwind is a good blanket. Mine have made it through 5 (?) seasons with Dennis the Menace.
I would be careful of the Rhinos. The one I got was a piece of crap- had to be repaired several times in one season just to make it through the winter (and unless it is a faulty seam or hardware, Horseware will not repair the Rhino) and that was with my "never does anything in turnout" mare. The woman who repairs my blankets says she sees lots of the newer Rhinos for tears and repairs.
Rambo, however, is the best.
Viney- my Dovers left rubs on my mare (very active in her shoulder) but nada with the Rambo Wug- no idea why

vineyridge
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:04 AM
I also notice the location of the gussets. There are some blankets that do have have a high gusset. IIRC, that's one reason I was interested in the Centaur.

Has anyone here got opinions on the HUG blankets? Dover has their house line with this closure, and Hug itself used to have a line that was "better" and way more expensive.

The new stretch shoulders do not interest me in the slightest. Seems to me that would create a weak point for longevity and waterproofing.

PROTACKGUY
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:04 PM
Ok just for fun. What was the first blanket to have a shoulder gusset ?

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:28 PM
Has anyone here got opinions on the HUG blankets? Dover has their house line with this closure, and Hug itself used to have a line that was "better" and way more expensive.

The new stretch shoulders do not interest me in the slightest. Seems to me that would create a weak point for longevity and waterproofing.

I found them a bit annoying...but that was probably just me. I know a horse that got a rub with one....honestly...horses can get rubs from just about anything. Only thing I found that worked was keeping them clean, using "underwear"....and I usually sprayed my horses with hair moisturizer just about every day. Also...if they buckle in the front...I make the bottom buckle looser than the top.

Right now I have most Rambos and Rhinos (and a couple of Pessoas). I also have a few Dover Northwind....they have held up ok but don't breath as well as the Rambos and I have them on my less "destructive" horses.

I'm a big believer in layers. I love the thinsulate lined blankets...great warm layer under a water proof blanket....without being "heavy".

Anyone try the Thinsulate lined t/o blankets from smartpak?

SEPowell
Dec. 15, 2009, 12:04 AM
I've had good experiences with Rambos but I have to keep repairing the two Rhinos I have. This year one of my horses outgrew her Rambo so I'm experimenting with a Turtleneck. So far so good, but it has a few years to go before I can say it's as sturdy as Rambos.

tikidoc
Dec. 15, 2009, 07:13 AM
I got these last year when they were 2 for 1. They are now buy two, get 30 pounds off (don't know how to get the British pound sign). 1680 denier, well made, fit well, very durable and waterproof. Even with shipping from the UK, they are very reasonable. I got the aubergine ones (no I did not go for pink), and the color is nice too. If you need a medium and a heavy, or know of someone who wants to go in with you to get a blanket, it is a great deal. I think I got the VAT taken off too since they were being shipped to the US.

http://pinkequine.com/acatalog/OFFER_Horse_Rugs.html