PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Atlantic Hard Freeze

Tom King
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:18 PM
If anything doesn't freeze tonight it will Saturday night.

Make sure all your hoses are drained, nothing is left attached to a hydrant or faucet.

If you forgot your pump sprayers go loosen the top to ease any pressure off and hold the sprayer hose straight up in the air and hold the handle open for a minute or so to drain the hose back down into the tank. Leave the top ever so slightly cracked open.

What's in the tank may freeze but it won't blow any seals or rupture the hose or wand end. It's a little late to do anything with whatever's left in the tank but it will probably be okay even if it does freeze.

Sparky Boy
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hey Tom, Can you use those quick release attachments for the hose in the winter? I've always wondered.

IFG
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:41 PM
Not Tom, but I use those hose attachments during the winter. My horse gets wet hay, which means that I have to use the hose all winter, and drain it after each use. I disconnect it, make sure that the quick connect and the hose are fully drained and re-attach. Works like a dream and much easier than unscrewing and rescrewing the hose twice a day.

Tom King
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:49 PM
I don't use them. Pam liked them for a while until I finally convinced her about how they inhibit flow rate. When it gets really cold I keep a self-lighting propane torch in the barn to unfreeze the water drops on the threads of the hydrant and hose to screw them on-it only takes a touch and this in not something that I would recommend to everyone.

Those connectors have a small hole in the center which cuts the water flow rate way down and any frozen water at all makes them a pain to use. One frozen drop locks them up.

I keep one extra glove in my coat pocket to get wet for hose handling and immediately change it as soon as it finishes it's job. I don't like thick gloves for anything and use the cheap white work gloves with the black dots.

Daydream Believer
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the reminder Tom. I had forgotten about my hoses! Those of you with LQ rigs, make sure to turn the heat on in them or drain tanks and hot water heaters. Mine is not winterized yet so I have a space heater on in there.

Sparky Boy
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks. I thought there was a reason you weren't suppose to use those below freezing. Unscrewing the hose is a pain.

The only good thing about the cold this morning is that it froze the MUD!!

harveyhorses
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten my spray bottles. Not much left in them, but still.
Now the big challenge is to walk across the frozen mud plain without twisting an ankle!

ManyDogs
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:16 AM
Speaking of hard freeze, wind :mad:, rain, mud--we lost power for 36 hours, just got it back at 1:30 this morning. The river was over the road in several places.

However, :eek:, apparently my horses didn't get the memo, because they were whooping it up, standing in the wind, and rolling in the mud for the last couple days. Idjits! :lol:

Does anyone use heat tape on their hoses? We used them in Alaska.
Stay warm, everyone!

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:17 AM
I never thought I'd be so glad for a freeze. We actually might be able to move a round bale tomorrow if it doesn't get much above 32 today. Our paddock has been to muddy to get the truck in there for a month.

ETBW, hoping for 30 degrees and sunny! :yes:

Janet
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:29 AM
IWhen it gets really cold I keep a self-lighting propane torch in the barn to unfreeze the water drops on the threads of the hydrant and hose to screw them on-it only takes a touch and this in not something that I would recommend to everyone.

A hair dryer is a more idiot-proof tool for the same job.

ASB Stars
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:32 AM
A hair dryer is a more idiot-proof tool for the same job.

Actually, I find my heat gun to be the most efficient--but, if you do not have power, I am sure Tom's solution is best.

However, when I don't have power, I also do not have water...so...

Laurierace
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:34 AM
As much as I hate the cold I am actually grateful for a break from the mud. One of my horses has $300 glue on shoes so he hasn't been able to be turned out. He is going to be happy this morning!

Ajierene
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:37 AM
Make sure all your hoses are drained, nothing is left attached to a hydrant or faucet.

I read this as 'make sure all your HORSES are drained' at first....thought there was some aspect of winter horse care I had been missing all these years.

I may have to put the blanket on my mare tonight! Last winter was really mild and she's got some extra insulation, but I will check her tonight and make sure she's happy.

monstrpony
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:55 AM
I keep a "Y" divider on my hydrant, with a short secton of hose that just reaches the troughs on one side and nothing on the other. After I turn the hydrant off, I lay the hose on the ground with the far end down in the little creek and open the "Y" on both sides. Hose drains without having to disconnect. The "Y" WILL freeze if it's really, really cold (fast enough to freeze before it drains) but for most cold spells, this works well for me. And I can thaw it by taking my glove off and holding my hand on it for a moment (brrrrrr ...).

One of my horses has shoes on that I don't want to get pulled in mud; I've been turning him out with a pair of Cavallo Simple boots on over his shoes--one size too large for him, got them for my other guy. I know they aren't supposed to go on over shoes, but I don't put the guys out for long periods in this kind of weather. I do watch carefully that they don't rub on the top of his heels. He doesn't wear them in the sacrifice paddock, which is fairly flat and has lots of screenings and road bond to keep it from being too gloppy, but my pastures are on hillsides so lots of potential for pulled shoes, so he wears his "clodhoppers" when he goes out there. So far, so good ...

skyy
Dec. 11, 2009, 12:34 PM
The windchill was 6 degrees this morning!!!! Where the H@#* am I? This is SE Pennsylvania for crying out loud! I just got around to taking the stall fans down 2 weeks ago.....